Jacking Points

Chris D

We have a motor mover fitted behind the rear wheels of our twin axle caravan, the fitting of which required the removal of the strengthening brackets for the Alko jack.

Is it possible to resite the brackets either in front of the wheels or a bit further back from the original position (as near as possible to where they were originally) or will we have to get another jack to fit under and raise the axle, assuming the Alko jack is not suitable for this?

Any comments would be gratefully received.

Regards

Chris D

Hi Chris,

How old is the van?

As far as I know,the brackets can only be fitted in the one designed position. The chassis must not be drilled elsewhere.

Many motor movers are fitted in front of the wheels,on single axle vans,so jacking points are not affected.

I would contact Al-ko regarding alternative mounting points and affect on safety and warranty.

http://www. al-ko. co. uk/cdesign-general. htm

Sorry I can't be of help.

Frank

Hi Frank

Thanks for your reply. The van is a 2005 model.

I have put the question to Alko and await their response. I was not sure if the mounting bracket was merely a means of ensuring the jack is correctly fitted or if it does also provided additional strength. The information on the Alko website regarding correct jacking of the caravan is not specific, only stating that you fit the jack in the mounting bracket.

Regards

Chris D

Hi Chris,

It will be interesting to read Al-kos reply to this question.

The brackets are both intended to corrctly locate the jack and also distribute the load into the chassis.

If you were using a different jack such as a trolley jack,it must be placed under the axle immediately adjacent to the chassis or under the axle reinforcement plate.

Frank

Frank

I received a reply from Alko (within a couple of hours of emailing my query which is pretty impressive, I think). Whilst the best advice is not to resite the brackets, it was suggested it might be possible to utilise the holes (or one of them at least) of the spare wheel carrier which was positioned a little further back before I removed it.

A problem could be that the face of the chassis member narrows towards the back of the caravan, and unless the bracket lip fitted tightly under the chassis it would be potentially more dangerous as the bracket might bend (the chap explained about lifting moments in a horizontal direction but this was getting a bit beyond me).

The preferred option was to use a bottle jack under the axle plate, and since I have a bottle jack in the car I think this is the option I will use if necessary.

Regards

Chris

Frank

I received a reply from Alko (within a couple of hours of emailing my query which is pretty impressive, I think). Whilst the best advice is not to resite the brackets, it was suggested it might be possible to utilise the holes (or one of them at least) of the spare wheel carrier which was positioned a little further back before I removed it.

A problem could be that the face of the chassis member narrows towards the back of the caravan, and unless the bracket lip fitted tightly under the chassis it would be potentially more dangerous as the bracket might bend (the chap explained about lifting moments in a horizontal direction but this was getting a bit beyond me).

The preferred option was to use a bottle jack under the axle plate, and since I have a bottle jack in the car I think this is the option I will use if necessary.

RegardsChris

41995[/snapback]

Nice idea and it will work if you have a flat tyre but, if the tyre breaks up and the 'van ends up sitting on the rim, you may not get a bottle jack or a trolley jack under the axle (trust me, I speak from experience). A better solution maybe to use the Alko scissor jack. This is flat enough to fit under.

Kind regards

Mike

Nice idea and it will work if you have a flat tyre but, if the tyre breaks up and the 'van ends up sitting on the rim, you may not get a bottle jack or a trolley jack under the axle (trust me, I speak from experience).  A better solution maybe to use the Alko scissor jack.   This is flat enough to fit under.

Kind regards

Mike

42046[/snapback]

I have often wondered about this problem but reckon I would pull the 'van wheel onto some levelling blocks. That should give sufficient clearance.

Mlamont

I have often wondered about this problem but reckon I would pull the 'van wheel onto some levelling blocks.   That should give sufficient clearance.

Mlamont

42051[/snapback]

That is my thinking as well, if the tyre is so ***** it aint going to do it any more harm to pull it up a levelling block. :o

This problem is one of the main reasons that a motor mover should normally be fitted in front of the axle. The other main reason is that the distance between the tyre and the drive roller varies much more at the back than the front, due to the greater radius of the tyre arc.

A motor mover should be fitted in front of the axle unless underfloor obstructions prevent this. Even fitment of shock absorbers shouldn't force rear fitment.

I have punctureseal fitted in my tyres to prevent punctures.

However this is a good example as to why you need May Day etc. (just in case)

Especially on motorways where its a, get everyone out of the way and phone mayday

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

If you fit a mover to the front of the axle you may not be able to fit shock absorbers should that be your wish. Depends which mover you have I guess. I am getting set to investigate whether I have enough space to fit them as I understand they make for an even more stable tow than without. I will be doing this over winter so watch this space.

As for the Alko attachment points. They do say don't use other locations other than those pre-drilled by them but!!.

I have fitted my own brackets they work with a bottle jack and I hope I got my measurements and calculations right to allow use with a flat tyre. I think I did. The issue about towing the car up a levelling ramp or other lifting block/kerb etc makes reasonable sense if the tyre is flat and damaged or if you are in an unsafe position you have to move it. The only thing that would stop me is if major damage to the van by a flailing shredded tyre happens but unlikely at slow sped. Thats where the Tyron bands come into play. Safety first for me and if that means ruining a £40 tyre to place me and my family in a safer position then theirs no issue. I have made the comment before about Alko being a little short sighted in their view about the jack they supply but hey if they can make £65 every time they sell one instead of about £20 for mine well business is business.

By the way got my fireblanket from Lloyds Pharmacy the other day from a recommendation off this site well done whoever posted it, £3. 99, cheapskate me.

Bob

On Thursday I am having shocks fitted onto my twin axle which has a motor mover fitted and the dealer does not forese any problems. If there any any issues I will let you know. Takes less than an hour to fit two sets of shocks according to Alko.

Thanks to everyone for their comments.

With regard to the positioning of the motor mover I agree that a forward mounted position is preferable and we had our mover fitted at the front originally, but it just could not cope with a slightly inclined gravel drive, even with the jockey wheel wound down as far as it would go. Moving it to behind the rear wheels made a huge difference.

I had a good look under the caravan at the weekend and I agree that the available space for locating a bottle jack is limited, especially if a tyre was flat. The axle plate mentioned previously appears to have about a 0. 5cm gap between the lower flat edge and the chassis member - makes me wonder if it really is strong enough to lift the caravan.

I have not previously considered shock absorbers, but would be very interested to hear how others get on with them.

Regards

Chris

I had a good look under the caravan at the weekend and I agree that the available space for locating a bottle jack is limited, especially if a tyre was flat. The axle plate mentioned previously appears to have about a 0. 5cm gap between the lower flat edge and the chassis member - makes me wonder if it really is strong enough to lift the caravan.

I have not previously considered shock absorbers, but would be very interested to hear how others get on with them.

Regards

Chris

42265[/snapback]

Hi Chris,

Unless you are using Al-ko chassis brackets and one of their locating jacks,the recommended jacking positions AFAIK are under the axle immediately adjacent to the chassis or under the reinforcement plate at the axle.

I have towed our Sterling for 2 years without and 2 years with shock absorbers and the van is definitely more stable with shock absorbers,as you would expect. They are very easy to fit.

Frank

I agree with Frank, having shock absorbers fitted to your van defiantly creates a very stable rig.

I cannot understand why UK manufactures don’t fit them as standard, they must only be pence when purchased in quantity that the likes of Swift and Bailey would use.

Desperado

That is my thinking as well, if the tyre is so ***** it aint going to do it any more harm to pull it up a levelling block. :o

42054[/snapback]

Tried that but the levelling block just slid on the tarmac and the steel rim on the slid on the block.

Mike

We have a motor mover fitted behind the rear wheels of our twin axle caravan, the fitting of which required the removal of the strengthening brackets for the Alko jack.

Is it possible to resite the brackets either in front of the wheels or a bit further back from the original position (as near as possible to where they were originally) or will we have to get another jack to fit under and raise the axle, assuming the Alko jack is not suitable for this?

Any comments would be gratefully received.

Regards

Chris D

41947[/snapback]

I have just ordered the Reich twin axle version and I was asked if I wanted the new Reich jacking points fitting (they have only just introduced them) it appears that they clamp round the chassis. They are also supplying a modified spare wheel carrier to resite it.

Regards

Terry Birch

Archived