Which Club Did You Join In Your First Year?

I am a complete newbie and confused with the amount of different membership schemes about I wondered which clubs you joined in your first year and what you got out of it?

Also did you change or stop your memberships in your second and subsequent years? I will be buying an old (1992) caravan so insurance savings are not going to be high enough to justify some of the membership costs.

Thanks

Pat

"Mavis" 1992 Elddis Force 2 towed by 2011 Vauxhall Meriva 1. 7 CDTi - Just me and my dog

“Dogs come into our lives to teach us about love. They depart to teach us about loss. A new dog never replaces an old dog; it merely expands the heart. If you have loved many dogs, your heart is very big." Erica Jong

I joined the CC 30 years ago when I started caravanning and been a member ever since. We have found their service and sites to be very good and would never think of going to the other lot after seeing some ( not all ) sites. WE ahve used Red pennant cover for overseas trips but thankfully never needed to call them & use the CC caravan insurance after bad experiences with some other so called caravan policies.

Coachman Pastiche tugged by Mazda CX-7, Wine supplied by Sainsburys & sunday Times wine Club.

I first joined the Caravan Club but after 28 years changed to The Camping and Caravan Club.

I wanted to use a Tent In Wales and The Caravan Club don't cater for tents.

I always got more value than I paid because we used to go to Rallies with the CC at very cheap prices per weekend.

We now go to Meets with the C&CC which are also very reasonable for weekend pricing.

The use of CL's and CS's more than offsets the membership costs. I would not use any commercial sites because of the high costs that some now charge.

The membership of the club also gives me insurance that I need. They may not the be cheapest but are OK at the moment.

My breakdown cover is also via the Club.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. Internet connected via 3 dongle Windows 7. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine.

LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,.Reich Move Control. Safefill Fitted. ,CT. Ninja (Hon) Flies the flag. Tyron Bands

Not Much Money but we do see life. Motto . Carpe Diem .

I Joined the Camping and Caravanning Club when I had a small pup tent at the age of 19! and kept the membership ever since, now in my 42nd year.

When we got a caravan about twenty five years ago joined the Caravan Club; however did lapse the membership because our children then had pup tents and the CC would not accept them, even on rallies. Things did change so re-joined CC five years later, so a member of both clubs, and they both provide us with what we want, rallies, five van sites and full sites.

Have always used the C&CC for booking holidays in Europe, now have change and use Camping Cheques and like this year got a good ferry deal using the NEC code given out at the exhibition. Both clubs offer very good member services and the choice is yours if you wish to use them.

In my opinion, the membership is value for money and you do get a good monthly magazine from both.

Škoda Octavia Estate 2. 0TDi 4x4 towing a Compass Omega 482.

we joined c&cc but we joined cc 2yrs later as well, we only use cs/cl's but this year we intend to rally and use temo holiday sites, we find that c&cc better for us but still use both clubs.

pete

2007 vw touareg 3. 0 v6 tdi altitude & 2013 swift conqueror 630. "near enough is good enough !!!"

have been a member of the CC off and on over the last 30 years but have now cancelled as we have our van in storage at our favourite adult only site and just don't want to go anywhere else :wub: am a member of the CC&C to get good value caravan insurance but will cancel if I get a better deal on renewal from another insurance company. Then again do have a tent so could still be useful IF we ever decide to camp! Big if though. .. :lol:

Have to be different, my first club was the Deutche Camping Club. Thirty five years ago we joined the CC which used for rallies. Fourteen years ago joined C&CC, again for meets and the occasional club site. We find CC better for choice of CLs and for Continental (Red Pennant) insurance but now prefer the far more relaxed approach of the C&CC for weekends such as no booking(usually) for weekends. For what they cost, it is well to be in both.

A Fiat Doblo camper and a Lunar Ariva 2019
grace my drive.

Like you, I started out with an older van which I was not bothered about insurance for. I joined both clubs in the first year and remained in both clubs until after 4 years when finances forced me to choose one. ..I stayed with the Caravan Club and allowed the CCC to lapse. ..it's purely a personal preference but I found that I preferred CC sites and their locations and also I had joined the Mayday recovery service via CC which I found to be excellent value even compared to standard cover from the AA / RAC and it had the added bonus of being tailored to caravanning.

If you are not able to join both clubs go for the one you think will suit you most and in a years time change to the other if you fancy a change! :)

Edited by sprite

Volvo XC70 followed by a 2014 Bailey Pegasus GT65 Verona

Membership of the Caravan Club is now £42 +£10 joining fee if you dont pay by DD. I am a member and have been for nearly 40 years but to be honest if I was not using thier insurance and ferry booking services I would seriously doubt if it was worth continuing with membership. The sites are ok and well maintained but not particularly cheap for the facilities on offer. The Club magazine is nowhere near as useful as Practical Caravan and I would not buy it if there was a seperate charge.

On the plus side, the network of Certified locations (usually farms) provides a very large number of basic and fairly cheap places where you will almost always be able to find a space even at busy holiday times.

Have a look at thier website and see if what they are offering suits the type of caravan holidays you have in mind and how much of the technical inforamation is available to you before you join.

Edited by David in Cheshire

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk

Joined the C&CC 25 years ago when we tent camped and have graduated to a caravan through trailer tents and a folding camper. I was a member of the CC for about 3 years, but only stayed on one site for a weekend. For various reasons the CC didn't "float our boat" so it was a proper decision to leave. As a 25 year member of the C&CC (and over 65) I do pay a reduced annual membership fee and as an over 55 also benefit from reduced site fees in mid and low season. We do like the informality of the C&CC, being able to just turn up at rallies or temporary holiday sites, plus the possibility of organising an extended stay away from home by being able to book onto a club site over a weekend. Carefree have always been very good with our continental travel arrangements (plus a motorhome trip in the USA) and Club Care Insurance are thorough with their policy cover and competitive with their pricing. I can also vouch for their effectiveness and organisation when dealing with a claim.

Both of the major clubs have their faults and overall I would not say one is better than the other, but there are advantages in belonging to one or both of them and only from personal experience can you decide which is the best course of action for yourself.

John

Edited by John19

Started caravanning 3 years ago - joined the C&CC club to get:

• Access to CS sites
  • Low cost towing course
  • Insurance

Only ever use CS/CL sites, no interest in full facility provison.

Jim

Lunar Clubman SE Towed by Vauxhall Vivaro containing 6 border collies

hi I joined the caravan club before we even bought our first van and made sure I went on the towing course before we went away for our first holiday in our little monza and our morris minor -yes it could tow provided not too many hills. This was over 30 years ago and I have been a member ever since. We have occasionally dabbled with the with the caravan and camping club but find their site book very confusing and really do not like being directed to a pitch - at least with the caravan club you get a choice [if the site is not full] We mainly holiday on CL's and as the club fees go up and up it is likely that with the exception of some really exceptional sites such as Sandringham, we won't be using the club sites simply too expensive.

I used to have a tent, so I joined the CCC. I then got a campervan, followed a short time later with a caravan, so joined the CC as well.

I was a member of both CCC and CC until last year. I didn't renew my CCC membership because I slightly prefer the CC sites. I also like to choose my own pitch - which is something CCC never allowed me to do - and I didn't like paying a deposit when booking (not because I cancel, but because I'm usually short of cash when I'm planning holidays).

Edited by dalel

Graduated from tent so stayed with C&CC, I think moving tent to caravan is a one way ticket but had some great hols in our tents. Most C&CC sites have provided suitable pitches and often offered me a choice - nowt wrong with asking

I wouldn't rule out trying the CC - after all the site is only a base for our holidays.

Season 3 and have yet to try CL/CS type sites - but would like to. Some people rave about rallies but not tried that either - I guess it suits some.

Have stayed at a mixed bag of private sites

CC 28 years ago and never regreted it. .......even if it was just for rallies.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

CandC C two years ago just got back from camping at weymouth and were off to a DA Easter bash with caravan on Thursday

benefits = friendly club, cheap DA meets and great social gatherings together with affordable insurance .

Edited by avondale4

meandcaravan.jpg.e9cf995ee8c89b08e26d261aa10c0fc4.jpg2008 Bailey Senator Wyoming -2004 green oval Landrover discovery 2 td5-2005 Smart forfour.

As we started off camping, the other club would not have us! So when we moved on to our caravan we stayed with the C&CC. We like the club sites they offer and save well over the cost of the membership over the year.

Has the revolution finally begun?

Like most started with tent onto trailer tent and then 'van. We were in the C+CC Trailer tent group but when we got the first 'van in 1981 we joined CC. Never used any sites, tried to get on several rallies only to be told all booked no spaces, so rejoined C+CC, love the rallies/D. A. meets, Temporary holiday meets and club sites, this year going to France for first time on rally, C+CC every time for us.

Volvo XC60 D5 AWD AUTO. Lunar Lexon 570

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

2 x darling grandaughters and her

I would not advise anyone to join the Caravan Club after the fiasco they caused this year. They decided to cancel my caravan insurance whilst we were away on our winter sun tour in Southern Spain and considered they had done their duty by sending an official letter to our UK address yet they have our e-mail address as a contact. THEY CANCELLED THE INSURANCE because the automated debit facility failed on one day in February with our credit card company and other memebers who used the same credit card. The CC never bothered to try and sort out the issue with the credit card company just what you need whilst travelling. The CC club then tried to charge us for cancellation just to move a arrival date at a camp site we stayed at in Spain even though the camp site themselves did not charge to move arrival dates. Not the actions I need from so called CLUB.

When we first bought our 10 year old 1993 Swift 470SE we joined the Caravan Club for the insurance. Went through a tent phase so joined the C&CC instead. Went back to caravans a few years later and so we are now back with the CC. We use it mainly for the Adult Only CL's and the odd Club site in winter. The C&CC website is virtually unusable now so I will probably not renew. Plus I don't like the fact that they don't seem to have a limit on the number of tents they can squeeze in on their CS's !

Edited by Shirl250

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.