Torque Wrench Settings

Hi all, after the dealer told us that caravan wheel nuts have a habit of working themselves loose and coming out ( :huh: ) we have ordered a torque wrench so that we can give them a quick check before starting a journey.

Just a couple of questions:

1. What torque settings should be used - is there a 'standard' or will it be different for different vans?

2. I'll check them before setting off but should they be checked after a certain period of time/number of miles on longer journeys? The last thing I want is a wheel flying off!

Any help greatly appreciated.

Abbey Vogue GTS 417 towed with a Nissan X-Trail - love both!

Usually 88nm for steel wheels and 110-115nm for alloys although Bailey Unicorns require 160nm, but they've got special wheel bolts

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Your Dealer should be able to give you the torque settings recommended by Abbey for this 'van.

John. :)

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

Once used the wrench must be returned to zero setting for storage.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. Internet connected via 3 dongle Windows 7. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine.

LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,.Reich Move Control. Safefill Fitted. ,CT. Ninja (Hon) Flies the flag. Tyron Bands

Not Much Money but we do see life. Motto . Carpe Diem .

good advice lhd, didnt know that

pete

2007 vw touareg 3. 0 v6 tdi altitude & 2013 swift conqueror 630. "near enough is good enough !!!"

Its general good practise to re-check after 20 mile or so, alloys as said before are usually 115NM

Currrent outfit. . Volvo V70 + Compass Magnum Classic 540

I didn't know they needed to be set to zero for storage either - thanks for that!

Every 20 miles? Wow, I never imagined it would be that frequent.

I didn't know they needed to be set to zero for storage either - thanks for that!

Every 20 miles? Wow, I never imagined it would be that frequent.

Not every 20 miles. :rolleyes: After 20 miles.

The spring is resting when on zero or you start to get false readings.

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. Internet connected via 3 dongle Windows 7. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine.

LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,.Reich Move Control. Safefill Fitted. ,CT. Ninja (Hon) Flies the flag. Tyron Bands

After wheel removal check. Then after 20 miles. After that before setting off each time.

It is a good idea to stop and check round the outfit after a reasonable time to confirm everything is OK on any journey.

It's suprising what you miss on leaving home. Open skylight, jockey wheeldown, Handbrake not completely off, breakaway cable in wrong place, cable dragging on the road? Lock the caravan door?

Hi all, after the dealer told us that caravan wheel nuts have a habit of working themselves loose and coming out ( :huh: ) we have ordered a torque wrench so that we can give them a quick check before starting a journey. Just a couple of questions: 1. What torque settings should be used - is there a 'standard' or will it be different for different vans? 2. I'll check them before setting off but should they be checked after a certain period of time/number of miles on longer journeys? The last thing I want is a wheel flying off! Any help greatly appreciated.

Why did the dealer say they have a" habit "of coming off ?? I and many,many other caravaner's have never lost a wheel or even come close too losing one so why say it has a "habit" of happening ??

peter.

volvo xc90t6/coachman laser 590/4 running at 80%

Probably to scare us into checking them, it certainly worked!

Can't remember the exact wording they used, maybe that they had a habit of working loose - either way I'm glad they mentioned it.