Holiday Costs

TrickyT

Having had our van for 11 months now, decided to tally up all of the costs that we have involved in taking the holidays. Here are the results. These costs do not involve food/drink whilst away or the initial costs in purchasing the van or equipment.

Total Trips - 23

Total Nights Away - 73

Total Cost of Pitches - £896. 55

Total Miles - 2825

Total Fuel Cost (@ 20p per mile) - £688. 20

Average Cost Per Person Per Trip - £17. 85

Average Cost Per Person Per Night - £4. 80

Gas Bottles - 9 - £115. 25

Total Cost - £1700

Personally I don't think that is bad for a years holiday. Discussing with a work colleague, they spent £1400 on their main holiday for 14 days this year.

We have also found that we have spent almost as much on getting to a site than it does to stay on it. Luckily the 2 sites we like the most so far are a 60 mile round trip each. However, we want to get to the coast more next year so that will bump the costs up a bit.

Don't think that £4. 80 a night is bad going, 2 pints of beer where I live, and we got away almost every other weekend.

Regards

Trevor

I think you had a bargain considering you got lots of weekends away in different locations compared to your friend who only had 14 days in the same place !!

I have never added up the cost of our weekends away - but I know I couldnt be without them !! Wonderful break from the usual routine - and a time to do your own thing without finding all those jobs you really need to do around the house !!

Margaret

Margaret

I don't do technical !!!

Just me and my showdogs!!

Having looked at your costs it seems to me you are very lucky in that you didn’t pay anything for your caravan at all. Mine cost me £8000 and so the depreciation each year would have to be taken into account. Additionally, I drive a bigger car (in order to tow the van) than I would otherwise drive and this has cost me money too.

Unlike you I had to buy a lot of equipment to put into my van, from crockery and cutlery to pots, pans and kettle, etc. Only small things I know, but the costs do add up.

I notice you didn’t service your caravan (£140?) or insure it (£250?) and I guess you are able to store it for free as well.

Don’t get me wrong, I still think caravanning is excellent value for money and I would hate to be without mine. What price do you put on sitting in a French field on a beautiful balmy evening, BBQ smoking away and a glass (or two) at your side. But I think your holidays might have cost you just a little more than you indicate?

I did think about adding the initial costs of the van, equipment, servicing, insurance etc but decided against it.

I was originally after a simple comparison as my mate thought that as I had been away so often it would be nearer £3000.

We did get into quite a debate as to if I should include the tax I pay on my company car as it is required to tow the van, but I then did ask was the cost of his car included in his flights abroad as he needed to get to the airport. We then decided that it would be purely on what he paid to the travel agent and I paid in my breakdown.

I know the cost in reality are higher, especially as we had a few expensive weekends away, one of which was with my mate who lived it!!!

Like most things there is a cost, but this is one I enjoy paying.

Trevor

Having looked at your costs it seems to me you are very lucky in that you didn’t pay anything for your caravan at all.   Mine cost me £8000 and so the depreciation each year would have to be taken into account.   Additionally, I drive a bigger car (in order to tow the van) than I would otherwise drive and this has cost me money too.

Unlike you I had to buy a lot of equipment to put into my van, from crockery and cutlery to pots, pans and kettle, etc.   Only small things I know, but the costs do add up.

I notice you didn’t service your caravan (£140?) or insure it (£250?) and I guess you are able to store it for free as well.

Don’t get me wrong, I still think caravanning is excellent value for money and I would hate to be without mine.   What price do you put on sitting in a French field on a beautiful balmy evening, BBQ smoking away and a glass (or two) at your side.   But I think your holidays might have cost you just a little more than you indicate?

41825[/snapback]

Hi all,

I agree that there is an initial outlay to buying the caravan however what price can you put on this:-

In the time it takes for someone to drive to a UK airport, check in 2-3 hours before the flight (ignoring the usual delays).

They then fly in relatively cramped conditions for at least 2-3 hours to get to the destination and then travel on a mystery tour looking for their accommodation.

By this time I can have travelled over half the length of the country, pitched on a 5 star CC site in my 5 star caravan with all the amenities and be enjoying a smoking bbq and a nice bottle of red in some very good company.

We have friends who go on at least 2 X 2 week cruises a year which on average costs including spends £5000 per cruise and they still have to drive to a UK airport, check in 2-3 hours before the flight (ignoring the usual delays)etc etc.

Cheers

Steve

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

Hi all,

I agree that there is an initial outlay to buying the caravan however what price can you put on this:-

In the time it takes for someone to drive to a UK airport, check in 2-3 hours before the flight (ignoring the usual delays).

They then fly in relatively cramped conditions for at least 2-3 hours to get to the destination and then travel on a mystery tour looking for their accommodation.

By this time I can have travelled over half the length of the country, pitched on a 5 star CC site in my 5 star caravan with all the amenities and be enjoying a smoking bbq and a nice bottle of red in some very good company.

We have friends who go on at least 2 X 2 week cruises a year which on average costs including spends £5000 per cruise and they still have to drive to a UK airport, check in 2-3 hours before the flight (ignoring the usual delays)etc etc.

Cheers

Steve

41835[/snapback]

IF ONLY CARAVANS COULD FLY

Archived