Towcar Suggestions

Stephen Tomkison

Can someone please suggest a towcar to pull a 1230kg caravan. Its max fully laden can be 1430 (ish) so if Im looking to keep to the 85% recomendation I would be looking for a car weighing in at around 1600Kg.

Must be good on fuel, 35+ solo/40mpg if driven sensibly, have good space for 5 and a decent boot.

Im looking for a normal saloon, hatch or estate rather than a SUV (i can explain later why no SUV)

Thanks

Steve

On a rough calculation to make the 85% rule you would need a towcar weighing in at least 1644kgs.

My van's MTPLM is 1462kgs, and tows quite nicely behind the old Mundaneo Estate which weights about 1585kg - but that is about a 92% match. I wouldnt fault its towing ability, although as mentioned on other posts the clutch can be a bit smelly reversing the van (as is the same on the Passat and a host of other cars!).

The really good news is that a TDCI 130BHP produces about 330nm @ 1750rpm (loads of torque ;) ), has a solo 0-60 of about 10 secs, and will give you about 45-50mpg solo and about 30mpg towing. Generally well put together with reasonable 12. 5k services of just around £100.

Gets my vote. (( Having said that, I will probably try a different car for a change next time - having had 2 Mundaneos, covering about 165,000 miles so far <_< ))

HTH - Gaz

VW Touran TDI

Loads of space for 5, big boot, kerbweight approx 1660kg, can tow 1500kg.

Andy.

41797[/snapback]

I must admit, I am keen to try a Touran for my next company car. I was quite surprised how heavy it is, which is ideal for me; as it would put me at 85% towing my van :D

More info please if anyone tows with one -- How good is it as a towcar? How heavy is your van?

Thanks

. ..I will run with it, but you need a price range??

:)

41776[/snapback]

Sorry for the delay, had to go to work, ha ha. ...

I have been reading this and other forums and threads from the anti 4x4's and was just wondering what else there was out there that would actually pull a heavier caravan.

Suggestions seem to be the Mondeo, Volvo V70 and the MPV's mentioned.

From most points of view (mine anyway) the X-trail or another similar compact 4x4 makes more sense for towing a heavier caravan although the cars suggested have the right kerbweight etc to do equally as well (as Im sure they do). What I have done though is compared the X-trail with a Passat, Volvo V70 and Renault Espace that were recommended through the other forum. The X-trail is narrower, shorter, about the same on fuel and CO2, better depreciation than the rest and is cheaper than all of them for a comparable spec.

It was just a way of showing the idiots out there that just jump on the bandwagon without checking the facts themselves that owning a 4x4 isnt the greatest sin on earth as the majority of all the cars that would be suitable are longer, wider, higher c02, more depreciation but of course they arnt wanting to ban a Mondeo Estate for taking up more roadspace are they?

Thanks for your assistance all.

Steve

I use a Peugeot 406 2. 2HDi Estate and find it more than adequate plus it has masses of 'boot' space for the awning and other items that may be too heavy for the van.

Having said that I have just (yesterday) placed an order for the Kia Sorento as we spend weeks, months even touring the continent and wanted something even beefier!

So any one want a good (some marks) 406 £5K and it is yours.

Sorry Steve, I'm being daft here - could you explain to me in short words what the point of this post was.

41876[/snapback]

Does there have to be a point? Can one not just ask a question? :o

If one has to justify every query with 'the point of it' would any questions get asked? I doubt it as most people would just say ' to hell with it I'll go to the pub and ask there' :unsure:

Mazda6

New models now have 141 bhp

if the 136 is anything to go by it is as good as any car listed above

AND was last years TCOY by CC

Does there have to be a point?  Can one not just ask a question?  :o

If one has to justify every query with 'the point of it' would any questions get asked?  I doubt it as most people would just say ' to hell with it  I'll go to the pub and ask there'  :unsure:

41882[/snapback]

It was this bit that confused me. ...

"It was just a way of showing the idiots out there that just jump on the bandwagon without checking the facts themselves that owning a 4x4 isnt the greatest sin on earth as the majority of all the cars that would be suitable are longer, wider, higher c02, more depreciation but of course they arnt wanting to ban a Mondeo Estate for taking up more roadspace are they?"

It was this bit that confused me. ...

"It was just a way of showing the idiots out there that just jump on the bandwagon without checking the facts themselves that owning a 4x4 isnt the greatest sin on earth as the majority of all the cars that would be suitable are longer, wider, higher c02, more depreciation but of course they arnt wanting to ban a Mondeo Estate for taking up more roadspace are they?"

41907[/snapback]

Yes that I agree is somewhat confusing BUT I think I understand what it is he is trying to say. :o

just trying to justify ownership of a 4x4 I think

Do I detect some insecurity and guilt  ;)

41965[/snapback]

Why should the poster feel guilty about spending his hard-earned on a 4x4! It's his choice, as it was mine, I know what I would rather tow with.

Mlamont

Why should the poster feel guilty about spending his hard-earned on a 4x4!  It's his choice, as it was mine, I know what I would rather tow with.  

Mlamont

41976[/snapback]

There is another forum where it seems that a good deal of the posters are anti 4x4, whereas this forum seems quite sensible and lets each person drive what they want without been too judgemental. I was just actually trying to get some reasoned argument and suggestions that what cars are suitable for pulling bigger vans. The anti 4x4 mob on the other group, even though they are caravanners themselves just cannot seem to see the point in using 4x4's for any purpose whatsoever other than if your named Farmer Giles.

My point was that the majority of cars that are suitable for pulling heavier vans are longer,wider,similar fuel and co2, more depreciation, less NCAP paedestrian safety rated than the compact SUV's yet the anti 4x4 mob dont seem to let facts stop them moaning and inserting there twopenneth where it isnt wanted.

Thanks all. As it happens I may not have the X-trail for ever, may not have a need/desire for it so happy to see that there are decent cars (Volvo V70 Estate D5 etc) that would pull the van well.

Steve