Glass Top On Sink

TrickyT

Having come back from our last trip where we took no awning, we spent most of our time cooking in the van. For those who are aware the vendee had a sink and hob, both of which have a glass top.

There is little worktop space when both lids are raised. This has partly been overcome in new Baileys by having a removable draining board.

We found that whilst away we had the top on the sink down to serve up on, which meant that we had to use the sink in the bathroom to drain away any liquid.

Now this is just a though. Could the glass top of the sink be cut in half down the middle. This would enable the sink side to be raised and the draining side lowered to give extra worktop space.

I am concerned that the 2 grub screws which secure the glass to the bracket would not be man enough.

Any thoughts?

Trevor

I presume the glass top is made from toughened glass, unfortunately this cannot be cut once it has been through the toughening process.

I tried getting a shower screen cut down many years ago and was told it couldn’t be done.

Desperado

I had thought it might be toughened, not 100% sure. If I get time at the weekend I had thought about taking it to a local glass company to get there thoughts. Could even get them to make 2 new pieces as I have though that if it was just cut it would touch each other, so would need a couple of mil gap to make it work.

Regards

Trevor

Trevor,

Rather than take a chance on cutting the glass top, which may shatter since it's toughened, why not remove it altogether and replace it with a piece of other suitable material which you could cut and use as you suggest. The glass top can be put back on in the event of selling the van (in original condition) or if you change your mind sometime in the future. Apart from the aesthetics it doesn't have to be glass and who cares what it looks like as long as it's what you want.

JTS

Trevor,

Rather than take a chance on cutting the glass top, which may shatter since it's toughened, why not remove it altogether and replace it with a piece of other suitable material which you could cut and use as you suggest. The glass top can be put back on in the event of selling the van (in original condition) or if you change your mind sometime in the future. Apart from the aesthetics it doesn't have to be glass and who cares what it looks like as long as it's what you want.

JTS

41778[/snapback]

Perhaps some thick perspex or acrylic sheeting. You might even have come up with a new product to sell to the rest of us B)

Good piece of lateral thinking Jonesey - or as my boss would say 'thinking outside the box. ..' :blink:

Now there is a good idea. Have some perspex somewhere which would enable me to try it out. We always have some of the non slip matting covering the glass anyway so 'looks' aren't a problem.

Will keep you updated.

Tervor

Just a cautionary note. it is not recomended to place hot items direct from cooker onto glass top to sink. It could shatter.

Also avoid scratchingb the glass as this may also cause the glass toi shatter

I asked Bailey and they askerd the manufacturer.

Well spent the weekend modifying the top. Purchased a 2ft x 2ft piece of perspex 6mm think.

Made a template of the top and the routered around it to produce a replica. Then cut down the middle. Champhered off the edged and then mad them smooth with fine grit wet and dry.

While if I had to do it again it woul dbe better, as they say "a blind man would be pleased to see it"

Existing Lid Closed

22102005.jpg

Existing Lid Open

22102005_001.jpg

We use a 15" x 18" chopping board which sits on top of the drainer. Use it for food preparation. Wash it and then use it for serving up. Cost £2. 99. When not in use it stores in table compartment.

Frank

There is a slight curve in the perspex when a heavyish item is on it. We were only planning on using it for serving up meals and putting the pops/pans on when serving.

It was really to be ablue to use the sink to drain and put items into, but have that little bit extra worktop space.

The pespex 2ft x 2ft was £12. 50

Regards

Trevor

We cut a piece of ply to the right size (rectangular) sticky back plasticed it and put four old fashioned doorstops on as feet. This stops it sliding and means you can use the sink as a worktop.

Trevor

Nice looking job. Might do the same on my Bordeaux. Go to the top of the class.

Dave