On Board Tank

Guest iank

We are considering installing a 40 litre water tank purchased from CAK tanks in Warwickshire in the front of our Lunar 640 L under the front bunk and next to the hot water tank as we caravan right through the winter.

We also wanted to replace the current hot water tank which is only 20 L with a bigger one in order to have longer and better hot showers in the morning, but apparently this cannot be done unless someone knows something to the contrary.

Does anyone have any knowledge on the best way to install a water tank if the caravan is still under guarantee or is it something best left to the dealer?

John, normally I would agree with you but as we will be on a site for 2 or more weeks, I think it is worthwhile especially if there are two of you showering in the van because it is piddling down outside.

I feel sure that I read in the manual that it was a 20 litre hot water tank. Hopefully someone will come along and enlighten us.

IanK,

Just a thought - I seem to recall an article in the CC Mag some time ago about fitting an internal tank + pump - if you are a member you might be able to obtain a copy from the Club?

This is something that I have been thinking about for a while now (that's the easy bit of course) but with a 40ltr Aquaroll and the old 27ltr version next to it we have yet to run out of water when showering etc - and it seems to me (and no doubt someone will disagree) that filling an internal tank is a bit like doing the job twice if you are doing so from the A/roll. Winterising is not too difficult or expensive (insulated tank cover on the A/roll works fine) so I came to the conclusion that the whole job was probably not worth the time, effort and expense.

GMC

IanK,

Just a thought - I seem to recall an article in the CC Mag some time ago about fitting an internal tank + pump - if you are a member you might be able to obtain a copy from the Club?

This is something that I have been thinking about for a while now (that's the easy bit of course) but with a 40ltr Aquaroll and the old 27ltr version next to it we have yet to run out of water when showering etc - and it seems to me (and no doubt someone will disagree) that filling an internal tank is a bit like doing the job twice if you are doing so from the A/roll.   Winterising is not too difficult or expensive (insulated tank cover on the A/roll works fine) so I came to the conclusion that the whole job was probably not worth the time, effort and expense.

GMC

41804[/snapback]

GMC,

Did you make your own insulator jacket or buy a commercial one if so which one and how much did you pay?

navigator

GMC,

Did you make your own insulator jacket or buy a commercial one if so which one and how much did you pay?

navigator

41812[/snapback]

:P Hi all,

We caravan all year round. Our cravan has a 20l internal tank and we suppliment with the 40l aquaroll.

To adequately insulate the aquaroll, it is important to raise it off the ground as it is the cold from the ground that starts the freezing process.

A couple of wood leveling blocks usually suffices. We then insulate the aquaroll using a standard domestic hot water cylinder jacket available from most DIY stores for less than £10.

The water pipe from the pump also needs to be well insulated as the small amount of water held inside the pipe will freeze due to there being a large surface area of external pipe exposed to the elements, for this we use a piece of large diameter foam pipe lagging wrapped round and taped in place.

Using a larger diameter allows for the required curving of the pipe from the aquaroll to the inlet on the caravan.

By cutting the lagging part way down its length at 45 deg. will provide a 90 deg. curve and then by adjust the distance from the caravan to the aquaroll will accommodate the bend in the pipe.

Cheers

Steve :P

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

Apparently the hot water tank on the Lunar is only 10L and no matter how frugal you are when showering it does not last for two showers. Is it possible to increase the size of tghe hot water tank?

Apparently the hot water tank on the Lunar is only 10L and no matter how frugal you are when showering it does not last for two showers.   Is it possible to increase the size of tghe hot water tank?

41870[/snapback]

The Abbey is also only ten litres but we get two showers no problem! Providing you keep to the rules - quick wet and turn off, lather up, then rinse off OK it's not like the deluge we get at home but it is more than enough.

Alternatively - 'save water shower with a friend' -- all right you will have to be two pretty sylph like friends to fit in 'vans shower room :rolleyes: