Indicator Indicator

Alan

I have a Frontera LWB and a Lunar 520/2 caravan. When hitching up, I always check all the lights on the 'van, including the light on the dash that shows that the flashers are working.

After a little distance on the road, this 'repeater' light does not flash, particularly, but not exclusively, for the nearside.

If I stop and check, the indicators are working O. K. but the dash light is still not working.

This worries me, and I wonder if anyone has any constructive comments.

Hi Alan,

I would check the connections on the dash lamp,although difficult to explain why it should only be intermittent for the nearside.

It reminds me of the man asked to check a friends indicators. It's working,no it's not,it's working,no it's not. Sorry I couldn't resist that. I feel better now. :)

Frank

Alan

If its intermittent as you say I would check the plug on the caravan as they are prone to corrosion. In fact you might as well change it for a new one as they only cost a few of quid, go for the metal one as they do not distort like the plastic ones. I have had the problem you describe and a new plug has always resolved it.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Hi Alan

My bet would be the same as Klyne, bad connection on 7 pin plug. If not try that side indicator bulb for bad connections. Infact change the bulb as well. Also earths in rear lights that side. That type of flasher unit needs a full 21 w on the caravan to make the tell tail light flash. Could of course be a faulty flasher unit but very rare for just one side to be faulty.

Hope this helps

Pete

Volvo

I had a similar problem some time back. The repeater buzzer in the boot only worked for right turns and was intermittent for left. Cleaning the rear indicator connections improved the situation, but it was only when a new bulb was also fitted that the fault cleared completely. The external indicators all appeared to work correctly throughout.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions.

We are going to Whitby this weekend, so I can change the bulb and clean the pins at least. A new plug/socket may take a little more time.

I'll update you after half-term.

If you are using the original flasher unit on your vehicle, then the indicator lights for the caravan are flashing through an additional relay. If this is the case, then the yellow wire (pin 1) is going to the relay, with a second wire from the relay to the left flasher. Likewise the green wire (pin 4) is going to the relay and thence to the right flasher. A fifth wire is going to the dash lamp. Many relays are supplied with short leads already attached and require connecting to the seven core. My guess is that there's an intermittent connection in the wiring for the additional relay - just supposing you have one!!.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

A squirt of WD40 could also prove useful in the plug and in the socket, it is useful to prevent the spread of moisture in plugs and sockets too. A quick squirt twice a year can help.

navigator

• 1 month later...
I have a Frontera LWB and a Lunar 520/2 caravan.   When hitching up, I always check all the lights on the 'van, including the light on the dash that shows that the flashers are working.

After a little distance on the road, this 'repeater' light does not flash, particularly, but not exclusively, for the nearside.

If I stop and check, the indicators are working O. K. but the dash light is still not working.

This worries me, and I wonder if anyone has any constructive comments.

41727[/snapback]

Hello Alan,

Hopefully, you have your problem well sorted by now, but it reminds me of instances some years ago when we used to fit a particular type of 'front end' flasher monitor. These incorporated a reed relay which is voltage sensitive (and also affected by speaker magnets. Regularly, we'd have them working fine, only to have to readjust them a day or two later. ......... Not good for the customer and a pain in the @r5e for us.

I've got a bucket full going REALLY CHEAP if anyone wants them!

Regards

Hi Tony, Thanks for your kind thoughts. No I haven't fixed the problem. Our time at Whitby was spent in almost continual rain and, when I got home, for various reasons, I had to put the van in storage. Perhaps over Christmas. .....................

I have another theory; in the Frontera there is a small block socket. A plug fits into this and connects to the tow socket. I wonder if the wires are too thin; when first used the resistance is low, but after using a few times the wire warms up and the resistance increases reducing the current to a value below the sensor's ability to detect.

I am now sure that it is not only the nearside that doesn't work; I just think that most of my turns are to the left.

Hi Tony, Thanks for your kind thoughts.   No I haven't fixed the problem.   Our time at Whitby was spent in almost continual rain and, when I got home, for various reasons, I had to put the van in storage.   Perhaps over Christmas. .....................

I have another theory; in the Frontera there is a small block socket.   A plug fits into this and connects to the tow socket.   I wonder if the wires are too thin; when first used the resistance is low, but after using a few times the wire warms up and the resistance increases reducing the current to a value below the sensor's ability to detect.

I am now sure that it is not only the nearside that doesn't work; I just think that most of my turns are to the left.

47385[/snapback]

Hi Alan,

If you ever get near Chesterfield with your Frontera, call in and stick it on my test board. We should be able to 'bottom it'. You can leave the van in storage!

What year is the Frontera by the way?

Regards

Archived