Axel Stands

mark.t

how do you raise the van off the ground when fitting stands is it ok to use the steadys to raise the van and slip one under . ...and the same on the other side . ..also would 3 steadys be used as iv'e had a chat with my service dept and reccomend one under the A frame as well ??????not sure about that . ....

Hi there,

Don't use the steadies to raise your van. you run the risk of damaging them.

Get your self a decent trolley jack that can support the weight of your van. Then raise it by placing the jack on the axle running from wheel to wheel.

Slide one axle stand in at a time.

how do you raise the van off the ground when fitting stands is it ok to use the steadys to raise the van and slip one under . ...and the same on the other side . ..also would 3 steadys be used as iv'e had a chat with my service dept and reccomend one under the A frame as well ??????not sure about that . ....

41682[/snapback]

Steadies are just that - STEADIES. They are not jacks. As C11CHA says - use a proper jack, either the one that came with the van or a decent trolley jack.

41682[/snapback]

Mark,

You need to think about how you are going to jack up your van in the event of a puncture. Although expensive (£65ish,but look on Ebay) the Al-ko side lift jacking system is excellent. Failing that a small trolley jack is the safest due to its stability. However some forum members have experienced difficulty with insufficient clearance for a trolley jack with a flat tyre.

Personally I have both. Start with the Al-ko and then use the trolley jack. The trolley jack is also used on the car. Many small trolley jacks can be picked up for around £10. My Al-ko cost £17 from Ebay and the trolley jack was clearance from Netto at £4. 99. So you don't need to spend a mint.

If you jack the van with anything other than an Al-ko jack,make sure you place the jack under the axle reinforcement plate or under the axle next to the chassis. .

Frank

Mark,

You need to think about how you are going to jack up your van in the event of a puncture. Although expensive (£65ish,but look on Ebay) the Al-ko side lift jacking system is excellent. Failing that a small trolley jack is the safest due to its stability. However some forum members have experienced difficulty with insufficient clearance for a trolley jack with a flat tyre.

Personally I have both. Start with the Al-ko and then use the trolley jack. The trolley jack is also used on the car. Many small trolley jacks can be picked up for around £10. My Al-ko cost £17 from Ebay and the trolley jack was clearance from Netto at £4. 99. So you don't need to spend a mint.

If you jack the van with anything other than an Al-ko jack,make sure you place the jack under the axle reinforcement plate or under the axle next to the chassis. .

Frank

41713[/snapback]

Don't forget, the Alko jack can only be used when the 'van is hitched up. I have read a couple of reports where the 'van has slid sideways when using an Alko jack alone. The early side-lift jacks had a plastic locating lug which could snap. Avoid this and go for the later model with the aluminium lug.

Mike

Mike

Archived