Awnings

MPVguy

Right. Here's a question: if you're going for a short weekend break, say two nights - or if you're really lucky to get the time off work, three - do you put up the awning? Or is it a case of "it's only a couple of nights, let's not have the bother of assembling and then a day or two later pulling it all down".

I wouldn't bother for one night. Two or more, definitely. It's really no trouble to get the awning up or to take it down and the extra space is handy. But admittedly, it would be nice once in a while not to have to use it. :mellow:

Right. Here's a question: if you're going for a short weekend break, say two nights - or if you're really lucky to get the time off work, three - do you put up the awning? Or is it a case of "it's only a couple of nights, let's not have the bother of assembling and then a day or two later pulling it all down".

I wouldn't bother for one night. Two or more, definitely. It's really no trouble to get the awning up or to take it down and the extra space is handy. But admittedly, it would be nice once in a while not to have to use it.   :mellow:

41613[/snapback]

Normally depends on the weather, if it's wet maybe to save having wet shoes and coats in the caravan. That's the scenic not the full awing which only goes up if staying for 5 or more nights. Often use the caravanstore zip on long weekends.

We always carry the scenic, and the caravanstore zip canopy is always on the awning track just in case!!!

With regard to an Awning - we normally do - but we are lucky that we have a porch awning for short breaks, and a full one for longer ones.

To be honest it isn't the time it takes to put them up or take them down as this is surprisingly close - but if we might have to dry it out when we get home then it is much easier to dry the smaller one in the garage than the full awning, add to that the fact that if the children aren't with us we don't have so much stuff to carry anyway (and they won't need it for sleeping in either).

I have been wondering about one of those quick porch awnings with the flexible poles as they look to be wonderfully easy to erect and dry (I think another reply here is using one).

So my answer would be - depends on the weather and our space needs rather than length of stay.

Ray.

. ...............

I have been wondering about one of those quick porch awnings with the flexible poles as they look to be wonderfully easy to erect and dry (I think another reply here is using one).

. ...............

41622[/snapback]

Not very good at all if it is very windy. Likely to finish in the skip.

Hi all,

We have a porch awning as well as the full one. The porch seems to take as long to put up as the full one so tends to not get used at all. We also have a "Sun" canopy which we use for short breaks. I use those curly dog lead pegs to secure the guy ropes down and I have adapted 3 telescopic poles to tension the roof. Been in wind rain and snow and had no problems. As long as you leave sufficient slope to allow water to run off you do not get problems with sagging. Anything over 2 nights we usually put up the full awning.

Cheers

Steve

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

Right. Here's a question:  - do you put up the awning? :mellow:

41613[/snapback]

Quite simply. I didn't buy a caravan - to use a tent. So my first choice is not to use an awning unless I have to.

The choice of awning or not is therefore decided more by the weather/clobber storage etc. , than the length of stay.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

We have a full and a porch awning. If we are going away for the week we use the full awning. Half weeks and bank holiday week ends we decide on the weather to decide if we will use the porch awning or the boot of the car. If it is warm and sunny we don't bother with an awning and put the table and chairs into the boot of the car overnight and shoes and 'bits' go under the caravan. Mind you if the weather is bad we don't put up the awning as it is a rascal getting it down in the pouring rain and then it needs to be unwrapped again later to dry out. The Provence has removable carpets and any wet trips would probably mean we would remove the carpet near the door so that they didn't get wet and muddy.

We always take the wind break with us that enables us to shield the bbq and give us a secluded dining area outside of the van.

Emma

Gordon,

what a refreshingly simple approach to caravanning - if only all things could be like that! If it was up to me, for a weekender I would take 'just the essentials', whereas other members of the family like to take enough provisions / clothes etc etc to last a week! Still find the extra space handy though. However, we might try a weekend sans awning, and see how things work out.

We always use our full awing even if its only a 2 night break.

We only really sleep in the van and near enough everything

else happens in the awning.

With 2 young boys we couldnt cope without it

L200

Gordon,

what a refreshingly simple approach to caravanning - if only all things could be like that! If it was up to me, for a weekender I would take 'just the essentials', whereas other members of the family like to take enough provisions / clothes etc etc to last a week! Still find the extra space handy though. However,  we might try a weekend sans awning, and see how things work out.

41841[/snapback]

A Caravanstor/Omnistor may be the answer. It keeps the rain out when entering the 'van and the table is OK out there. 2 mins to roll out, 3 mins to put away - and it can be put away when wet.

Mike

We always use our full awing even if its only a 2 night break.

We only really sleep in the van and near enough everything

else happens in the awning.

With 2 young boys we couldnt cope without it.

We're the same. We have become used to the extra space afforded by the awning and our granddaughter and pal(s) are frequent guests in the bedroom annexe. The awning also offers shelter from hot sun and cold rain for people and chocolate labrador. As we can erect and furnish our awning in around 20 minutes we always use it.

We have a porch awning and a canopy, we are trying the canopy out for weekend use during the winter. The canopy is a Dorema Panorama which has storm straps built in. Seems to hold its own againsat strong winds and nasty weather, we use the porch for the trips when we don't take the bikes.

navigator

Awnings do my head in. ................One day soon as the science of caravanning improves an awning will be light enough to pick up and throw at the van. It will stick to the side of the van just like that bar fly thing people do.

Charlie.

The light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.

We are away tomorrow for 5 nights and shell be using our Scenic plus as apossed to the full awning, used mainly for storeing bits. Any thing longer and fine weather would use the full awning, as we have nowhere to dry our full awning, the scenic we can dry at home.

Guest Coachman

Hi All I have a Full Awning . I bought a Scenic Porch Awning last Easter. Used it this week for the first time . So easy to put up it only 25 mins to put up . You will be Quicker next time the Wife said you will know what your doing . HA HA HA ??????????

Fantastic bit of Kit Will think twice before putting up full Awning again John

Quite simply. I didn't buy a caravan - to use a tent.
Gordon,

what a refreshingly simple approach to caravanning - if only all things could be like that!

41841[/snapback]

Yes indeed. ..

We actually have a range of awnings that we've accumulated over the years. A full length/extra deep one, a universal one that covers the rear half of the caravan, a large porch, a small lightweight porch, a gazebo, and a windbreak or six! When Marshalling large rallies, we have had various "bits of canvas" appended to both sides of the caravan, but none of that applies when we're away on our own.

Cheers all,

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Hi All,

so . . . some do an some don't. Having returned yesterday from a soggy Half Term weekend in Somerset (more about that later), we decided to try it without the awning. I have to say that I missed having the extra space and as it turned out the awning would have been dry when erected (last Friday) and when taken back down yesterday, but that's pot luck I suppose - had it been raining like it was the night before, we would've been in trouble as we live in a cottage and there's literally nowhere to spread it out to dry indoors. Also, there were hardly any pitches which were not muddy or puddled-up. When we arrived on the site there was a choice of pitches and I tried to pick the least muddy one, but the breathable ground sheet would have taken a hammering as we found on a previous occasion and these things are b#ggers to get clean. <_<

Therefore for those not already equipped, I offer this advice: get a plastic non-breathable ground sheet for muddy pitch conditions, which can simply be hosed down after use. :)

All in all though, during the daytime it stayed dry and we were able to get out and about, and it's quite mild for autumn so a good time was had by all. On a personal Ievel, I didn't think I'd enjoy this break because I like the summer so much but I surprised myself. My missus is now thinking about a New Year's Eve weekend somewhere . . .

See ya.

MPVguy

Like others have said get yourself one of the new style porch awnings I had a standard scenic with the last van but have replaced it with a scenic plus now will probably be trying it out this weekend as although like you I also find the full awning great extra space I not sure I really want to risk it this coming weekend with it being brand new and not going to get used till next year seems silly to risk getting it whet trough and filthy innless the weather changes and then you never no might just give it a try but like I said earlier with having the porch as well we have the best of both worlds.

Regards

JON

If we go away for a wk end then I put the Sun canopy up. Gives the same area as full awning except has no sides except for the rear of the van. Keeps things dry and I do not really worry if some light fingered person wants to leg it with a chair or table, easily replaced and not worth worrying about! Its just great to pitch up within 10-15 mins and get out and take the dog for a walk before a glass of wine and relax. The full awning can take a bit of time to erect especially if it is a bit windy, so that is reserved for trips of more than 3 nights.

Regards

Mark

We have a large porch which we only put up for 3 or more nights. As we use the caravan all year around we have just bought a Scenic following a lot of comments on this forum.

Put it up a couple of weekends ago just for 1 night to see how it all went together - quite impressed but time will tell !!!!! At least it will be easier to dry than our normal porch awning.

Archived