Kia Sorento

TedNewman

Any of you that have the Kia Sorento care to give us a report?

I am looking at buying one but just wonder if the 2. 5 CRDi is man enough for pulling a caravan as well as its' own not inconsiderable weight. <_<

Hello Ted

Here's my report

We've had a CRDi Sorento for 11 months, done 22,000 miles of which about 3,500 towing.

Problems? None so far.

Is it man enough for towing? Pulls our twin axle Conqueror very nicely thank you.

Are we happy with it? Like most Sorento owners, yes!

Regards

Chris D

I am looking at buying one but just wonder if the 2. 5 CRDi is man enough for pulling a caravan as well as its' own not inconsiderable weight.

Ted

The Sorento 2. 5 CRDi XE has just won the Caravan Club Tow Car of the year award!!! Look here Caravan Club

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Ted

The Sorento 2. 5 CRDi XE has just won the Caravan Club Tow Car of the year award!!! Look here Caravan Club

David

41617[/snapback]

David

Well aware of the TowCar award that is why I asked the question as they felt the 2. 5 diesel was lacking power.

BTW I (like some others) feel that the CC TowCar award does not actually mean a lot as the cars tested are those that are put forward, presumably by the manufacturer, rather than asking the membership which cars they should test.

The article does not say that it is underpowered it states "More power would be useful – this 2. 5 CRDi is no fireball – but there’s a 3. 5-litre V6 petrol version if you are looking for speed."

It is horses for courses! If you want a speed machine then go for the new Lexus with the hybrid engine. This beat several other 4x4s in the latest WhatCar. That's if you can afford it!

If you read the other caravan press, there are several Sorentos on long term tests and they regularly get good reviews, especially when towing large vans.

As far as the CC Towcar competition, they have to have some rules otherwise they would be reviewing the same cars over and over again.

Roger

BTW I (like some others) feel that the CC TowCar award does not actually mean a lot as the cars tested are those that are put forward, presumably by the manufacturer, rather than asking the membership which cars they should test.

Ted

I don't disagree with some of your sentiments about the Tow Car of the Year competition. Most of the criticism is how they often choose a car which is way out of peoples pockets, even in the secondhand car market. However I think it unlikely a car they tested with a van of 85% of kerbweight on the back would win the award if it did not do a reasonable job at the very least. Quite a few on here and other groups have them and I have never heard anything untoward about them.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

The article does not say that it is underpowered it states "More power would be useful – this 2. 5 CRDi is no fireball – but there’s a 3. 5-litre V6 petrol version if you are looking for speed."

It is horses for courses! If you want a speed machine then go for the new Lexus with the hybrid engine. This beat several other 4x4s in the latest WhatCar. That's if you can afford it!

If you read the other caravan press, there are several Sorentos on long term tests and they regularly get good reviews, especially when towing large vans.

As far as the CC Towcar competition, they have to have some rules otherwise they would be reviewing the same cars over and over again.

Roger

41635[/snapback]

For heavens sake all I am asking - is people to give me their 'honest' opinion of a motor car not to be pedantic over the wording of an article :rolleyes: - or even suggest that I go for a 40K car instead of a 20K car - if I could justify (which is different to afford) spending that sort of money than I would probably go for the Tuareg or a Disco.

NOR did I say I wanted a speed machine :unsure: - I just want a car that will not get all asthmatic on me every time it sees a hill and it will see some very big hills next year as I shall be touring Europe for several months and crossing the Alps several times.

And as a BTW I have test driven the 2. 5 and tomorrow I try the V6 BUT none of that is as good as the honest reports of owners.

I've got the diesel auto/triptronic version bought new in May 2005.

It's a great tow car and extremely comfortable.

Handles very well for a large machine and transport my wife, Myself and the Great Dane comfortably.

We Tow a 1700 kg twin axle but feel it's rather heavier than this with the mover and other gadgets loaded. (no underpowered issues in my book)

It's got a great steering lock (something my Disco hasn't).

Gearbox is very smooth and wonderful to be able to instantly override it manually on hills (just back from the lakes "due to Tom Tom we took so extraordinary routes though" :rolleyes::rolleyes: ) and handled all 3800 miles in Europe could throw at it this year with ease.

Fuel consumption is about 27/29 solo and 21 ish towing.

Very wide to so easy to judge spaces coming up and centralizing to the van hitching up. (can get away without towing mirrors but not advised)

Didn't buy mine with price in mind but what suited us best.

10K service due and nothing else needs attention.

Well pleased.

Ted

We have the 2. 5 XS 4 speed auto. It's just over 2 years hold and coming up to 39,000 miles. I have fitted a power box to ours to give it a bit more umph. Without the box it stills pulls ok but the gearbox has to work a bit harder. We came back from France in September covering 2300 miles and the only hill that slowed us down to 55 mph was on the A40 Autoroute Blanche. At 55 mph it dug in and pulled away. Towing we got 23 mpg and solo 28 mpg. Don't expect to get Kia quoted mpg figures. The ride solo is a little bit on the hard side but you will soon get used to that. We have had no trouble at all. Would I recommend it? You bet I would. Can't wait to get a new one with the 5 speed tiptronic box.

Tom.

Thanks John & Tom, these are the sort of reports one wants - I have now found the Kia Sorento Owners web site and getting a lot of gen from them including the desirability of fitting a 'powerbox'.

Again many thanks and if any one els wants to have their say please do!

Just to let you know that I have now test driven the V6 and have to say it is a cracking good motor. :lol:

BUT

Fuel economy won the day and I have just placed my order for a 2. 5 CRDi XS - asked for Silver but it is in short supply so am awaiting delivery dates now!!!!!!!!! :D

I've got the diesel auto/triptronic version bought new in May 2005.

It's a great tow car and extremely comfortable.

Handles very well for a large machine and transport my wife, Myself and the Great Dane comfortably.

We Tow a 1700 kg twin axle but feel it's rather heavier than this with the mover and other gadgets loaded. (no underpowered issues in my book)[/

]

It's got a great steering lock (something my Disco hasn't).

Gearbox is very smooth and wonderful to be able to instantly override it manually on hills (just back from the lakes "due to Tom Tom we took so extraordinary routes though" :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: ) and handled all 3800 miles in Europe could throw at it this year with ease.

Fuel consumption is about 27/29 solo and 21 ish towing.

Very wide to so easy to judge spaces coming up and centralizing to the van hitching up. (can get away without towing mirrors but not advised)

Didn't buy mine with price in mind but what suited us best.

10K service due and nothing else needs attention.

Well pleased.

41660[/snapback]

Are you saying that you exceed the MTPLM?

Looks like I should get the new beast next week BUT not in Silver but Red - which was our second choice - actually it was my first choice Silver was the the choice of my wife and who argues with the good woman?? :wub:

• 5 weeks later...

The Sorento is one of the vehicles in the frame when I come to change the Terrano.

I've had the salesmans technical bit about the 'intelligent' 4 wheel drive and the tiptronic auto box but

1. being a front wheel drive, how effective is the 4 wheel drive when towing say on grass

2. how well and instantainious does the manual gear change work.

The Sorento is one of the vehicles in the frame when I come to change the Terrano.

I've had the salesmans technical bit about the 'intelligent' 4 wheel drive and the tiptronic auto box but

1. being a front wheel drive, how effective is the 4 wheel drive when towing say on grass

2. how well and instantainious does the manual gear change work.

45053[/snapback]

The base model is front wheel drive with four wheel selectable HI & LO

The XS and XT are four wheel drive all the time with a LO option and the power goes to the back first and then distributed to the front as the vehicle senses the need. It also has a limited slip differential to aid the power distribution.

If you are on a very slippery surface then you have the LO option as well - which so far I have not had to use, just used to try it AND it is good.

When you say manual gear change are you referring to the manual option on the auto box ? If so you just slip the lever over to the Tip Tronic position and push forward for up and back for down (it is a sequential box as on motor bikes) and providing the revs are within, or will stay within, the safe range (approx 1000 to 4000) it will change instantly and it is five speed so a fairly close ratio - this option is great for towing either to maintain momentum going up hill or assisting braking going down. BUT be aware like ALL autos of this type it will change up on its own if the revs go into the 'red' zone so if using the engine braking it is prudent to also use the wheel brakes to keep the speed in check.

The other thing with the XS & XT models is you get cruise control which I find brilliant especially on the continent.

The base model the XE is good but the other two are better! It is the base model that the Caravan Club used and was awarded the Two Car of The Year.

Kia are at the moment giving £2000. 00 discounts for cars registered before 31 December plus 2 years free servicing and 3 years warranty.

BTW there is a 3. 5 litre V6 petrol engine option which is so responsive BUT rather thirsty so we went for the 2. 5 CRDi which has not disappointed HOWEVER if you are not used to a diesel it is a little on the noisy side BUT it does quieten as it warms up.

As another BTW the dealer threw in the Kia fixed towball and twin electrics (12s & 12n) plus a set of fitted mats.

I hope this has been of some help BUT feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Hope that helps

First service at 10K £197.

Extra jobs to be looked at ZERO ;)  ;)  ;)

45058[/snapback]

john

what do you get done for your £197

think the most that wants doing is oil & filter change

john

what do you get done for your £197

think the most that wants doing is oil & filter change

45059[/snapback]

10K servive was £103 + vat

Oil alone was £60 + vat

the rest was consumables + vat

10K servive was £103 + vat

Oil alone was £60 + vat

the rest was consumables + vat

45060[/snapback]

i thought the dealer had first service free offer when you got yours back in may