The Most Expensive Screws I've Ever Bought...

Molem

I was making the most of the good weather this weekend to do a bit of work on the van whilst I was on site at Holgates near Silverdale - which incidentally was very nice, especially with this weekend's weather. I popped out to the caravan shop a few miles away in Carnforth to buy a packet of screws to fix the wardrobe door back on, expecting to pay 99p or so. Whilst I was there, a very nice fixed bed Avondale Argente caught my eye, which happened to be the last of the 2005 models, for only £11750. Well, despite not really being in the market for a new caravan yet, I bought it.

Is there anything I need to look out for?

Cheers

James

I guess you need to look out for a bulb blowing in the car. I trip to buy a new bulb could result in a nice new car to pull the new van ;)

Emma

. ..I bought it.

Cheers

James

41552[/snapback]

Yep ! The bill ! LOL.

You should also read this thread. It's the only "fault" I'm aware of in the 2005 Argente (and it only affects a small number) but forewarned is forearmed.

Enjoy your new aquisition.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

I was making the most of the good weather this weekend to do a bit of work on the van whilst I was on site at Holgates near Silverdale - which incidentally was very nice, especially with this weekend's weather. I popped out to the caravan shop a few miles away in Carnforth to buy a packet of screws to fix the wardrobe door back on, expecting to pay 99p or so. Whilst I was there, a very nice fixed bed Avondale Argente caught my eye, which happened to be the last of the 2005 models, for only £11750. Well, despite not really being in the market for a new caravan yet, I bought it.

Cheers

James

41552[/snapback]

You are not the first and surely won't be the last. Next time go to B&Q for some screws is the best advice.

ENJOY the new van though, seriously.

You are not the first and surely won't be the last.   Next time go to B&Q for some screws is the best advice.

ENJOY the new van though, seriously.

41599[/snapback]

I went to B & Q yesterday for some paint - came home with a boot full of christmas lights and decorations and 2 very excited kids :o

Had to look in on the calendar to confirm it it is still OCTOBER! :(

I went to B & Q yesterday for some paint - came home with a boot full of christmas lights and decorations and 2 very excited kids  :o

Had to look in on the calendar to confirm it it is still OCTOBER!  :(

41603[/snapback]

Oh lord, please dont start on that already.

Can we have a vote to make sure NO CHRISTMAS lights on the forum until December 1st!!! :P:P

Cheers

James

41552[/snapback]

Molem, I found myself in a similar situation last summer. My wife and I visited Jacksons of Arley with a view to buying fresh batteries for a lantern we use in the awning. I decided to have a mooch in their tents, trailer tents and awnings area, like you do. We left carrying a brand new Eurovent awning with rather posh bedroom annexe. Excited, we galloped home to carry out a trial fit of awning to caravan. Perfect fit. ..good. As evening drew on I thought I'd hang the lantern to throw some light on the proceedings. ....*****..flat batteries! Forgot!

They do say that it's no good being daft if you don't show it. ........

Funnily enough I find my trips to accessory shop very expensive to :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Having a well stocked reasonably priced accessory shop must be a absolute must for the switched on sales teams :blink:

Funnily enough i went with the other half one saturday morning about ten years ago to look at three piece suites and came home the proud owner of an Elddis wisp

Davy :P:P

Cheers

James

41552[/snapback]

I'd watch the weight if I were you - I think the Vectra petrol only weighs about 1400kg and so will your Avondale loaded. Are you sure it's a fixed bed 550-4L with a fixed bed - I have one of these and it's an end bathroom. Also www. clicreports. co. uk says the Vetra 1. 8 petrol has a max tow of 1300kg-1400kg

Apologies if I've read any of this wrong.

Just taken my old van in to be part-exed. Sad to see it go, but had another look at the new van, this time with the kids, and for once the second impression lived up to the first. Just got the arduous job of raising the money to pay for it now. With the supposed 1963-like winter on the way (not that I remember it. ..) I quite fancy taking it upto Scotland skiing in February, and perhaps Chatsworth house in Derbyshire at new year?

Just hope my car will pull it ok. I normally travel light in winter, and I have the capacity to replace it at easter, but I suspect it will be on the edge. Still legal, mind.

Does anyone know if an Avondale warranty is transferable?

Cheers

Molem

I suspect your car will struggle. When I ordered my van in 03 I had a Renault Laguna Sport Tourer 1. 9dci with a kerbweight about the same as your Vectra, upon reflection I decided to change the car to something heavier and I'm glad I did.

I'm afraid I can't change my car until May. My old van weighs about 100kg less than my new one, and stability is remarkable considering. I will just have to travel really light.

Just out of interest, how does your V70 handle your van? I am looking preferably for a big estate, and really I'd like a Volvo, but only have about £11000 to spend - which should get me a 2. 4 Turbo petrol.

Cheers

James

I'd urge you to check the weights of the van and car very carefully. The MIRO of the van is 1123kg and as far as I can guess the Vectra's kerbweight is about 1315kg. Max tow for the Vectra 1. 8 is 1400kg and the MTPLM of the van is 1450. Mine seems to be quite nose heavy so check this before towing.

To answer your question the V70 handles the van very well. Not so relevant is that the D5 engine pulls strongly. I've heard the petrol ones are thirsty. Try to find one with the Nivomat self-levelling suspension if you can.

Oficially, the kerbweight of my particular model of Vectra is 1395 kg. Realistically, it is 1420 - weighed in the usual way on a weighbridge. Max tow is 1450kg, taken from the VIN plate, and the MTPLM of the van is 1400kg (VIN plage again.) MIRO is 1185. From a legal point of view, I am ok.

From a practical point of view, I am very careful with the way I load, with tyre pressures and noseweight. I will tow carfully for no more than 2-3 trips with my car.

Cheers

James

Archived