Tyres

Guest Coachman

Guest Coachman

Hi All Did you know that your tyers should be changed every 5 Years. No matter what condition there in. I was told this yesterday by the firm that services my caravan . I was going to buy axle stand's for the Winter . He said that is the point when you change your Tyers evrey 5 Yeares. John

From memory the Caravan Club recommend changing van tyres every five years. Unless you use your caravan a lot throughout the year it does stand in one place for long periods. Previous vans I have jacked up and put on axle stands but our new van is heavier so I purchased a couple of spare wheel rims and cheapish tyres which I use over winter. This allows me to move the van if I need to.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

I make a point of changing my tyres every 4 years - that way there is no chance of problems - if you get a blow out and it causes damage to the caravan its an expensive lesson !!

Margaret

Margaret

I don't do technical !!!

Just me and my showdogs!!

There is a technical recommendation, on which the Caravan Club advice is based, that tyres should be replaced within 7 years of manufacture. To allow for storage times before and after fitting to wheels, and before and after fitting to a "new" caravan, 5 years is given out as the advice.

Tyre manufacturers mould codes into the sidewall to indicate Year/Week of manufacture but these aren't clearly identified.

Caravan tyres deterioate because of standing in one place, except when being towed, and because of "bleaching" by daylight even in winter. Fitting wheel covers on site and in storage as well as winter storage in the dark will reduce the deterioation but doesn't alter the advice to change.

I'm always gob-smacked at the number of caravan dealers who sell second-hand wheeels/tyres which are clearly more than 5 years old.

Don't ever buy a second-hand or part-worn tyre for a caravan, it really isn't worth the possible consequences.

. ..so if tyres only last about five years, to get your money's worth you should wear your tyres out before they have to be changed on age.

Use your caravans more! LOL

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

. ..so if tyres only last about five years, to get your money's worth you should wear your tyres out before they have to be changed on age.

Gordon.

41588[/snapback]

My thoughts exactly Gordon !!

Margaret

Margaret

I don't do technical !!!

Just me and my showdogs!!

Gordon.

41588[/snapback]

:huh: It's a shame caravan manufacturers don't fit a trip meter to the caravan as standard. We could then see for ourselves how many miles we have covered and also when buying a second hand caravan, how many miles it had covered prior to being offered for sale. :huh:

Steve

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

:huh: It's a shame caravan manufacturers don't fit a trip meter to the caravan as standard. We could then see for ourselves how many miles we have covered and also when buying a second hand caravan, how many miles it had covered prior to being offered for sale.   :huh:

Steve

41925[/snapback]

You could do as I do and keep a log book of all trips. I include the mileage for the van and the locations. This helps to remind us of the places we have been to and the sites. We find this usefull as some are only overnight stops in foreign places and the names dont trip of the tongue. The mileage is very usefull for planning future trips. Incidently I had a blow out in France on almost new tyres, pressures had been checked and we were just enjoying the trip doing about 50. Tyron bands fitted but the tread came off and penetrated the wheel arch into the van and damaged the water pipes. Temporary fix holiday completed. I have no idea why the tyre blew when I got home I had the other one checked for any sign of damage, deterioration etc, but was told it was OK. I also keep the tyres covered to protect from the sun.

Colin

You could do as I do and keep a log book of all trips. I include the mileage for the van and the locations.

Colin

41936[/snapback]

We have done this ever since we started caravanning. It's now become a 'memory lane'. The first recorded trip away was a weekend on a CL at Eastbourne in May 1966. Nightly fee - 2/- or 10pence.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

• 3 weeks later...

Gordon.

41588[/snapback]

You would have to do some consideralble mileage to wear caravan tyres out, just change them every 5 years. Any good tyre man can show you where the manafacturing date is on the tyre wall.

caw

• 8 months later...

I take my wheels off for winter, store them in the dark, but I still change tyres every four years.

For what they cost it's not worth taking a risk.

Hi what do they cost ??? just got back from lincolnshire with mine, 150 miles and 1 has a bleb on with cracking the other just cracking. Changed the one with the bleb on for the spare. But not sure if to change both (Same age) 7 years.

Hi what do they cost ??? just got back from lincolnshire with mine, 150 miles and 1 has a bleb on with cracking the other just cracking. Changed the one with the bleb on for the spare. But not sure if to change both (Same age) 7 years.

I'd change them both immediately.

Brecon,

I found that the rubber valve stems had perished within 3yrs and was only by luck whilst pumping the tyres up that i noticed. On the tyres you can tell how old they are but there is no indication on valve stems how old they may be.

rustygates.

I dont have any such problems, the van is 2 years old and I've had 2 blowouts so the tyres are new :(

The last tyre cost me £38 which is a pretty good price as they are rated at 65psi "the tyres are inflated to 60psi" the van weighs 1400Kgs loaded.

so if you want to ensure your tyres are in good nick just run over some debris on the M5 once a year :lol:

keith

You could do as I do and keep a log book of all trips. I include the mileage for the van and the locations. This helps to remind us of the places we have been to and the sites. We find this usefull as some are only overnight stops in foreign places and the names dont trip of the tongue. The mileage is very usefull for planning future trips. Incidently I had a blow out in France on almost new tyres, pressures had been checked and we were just enjoying the trip doing about 50. Tyron bands fitted but the tread came off and penetrated the wheel arch into the van and damaged the water pipes. Temporary fix holiday completed. I have no idea why the tyre blew when I got home I had the other one checked for any sign of damage, deterioration etc, but was told it was OK. I also keep the tyres covered to protect from the sun.

Colin

Hi Colin,

You possibly suffered a slow puncture which involves the tyre slowly deflating and in doing so the temperature rapidly rises resulting in a blow out. It is very difficult to tell if you have a slow puncture when towing, a method that I use is to line up the elements of the rear screen heater with points either side of the 'van eg the lower edge of the front windows. While travelling keep checking that both sides are lined up, if one side starts to drop stop and check your tyres. This worked for a friend and certainly avoided not only a blow out but he saved his tyre as it didn't run flat and it could be repaired,

Regards,

Ian.

When I bought my new Bailey Discovery in 2004, I noticed the tyre valves appeared perished. On the first service they were changed under warranty without me raising the point. I think there was a bad batch as they had changed quite a few!

Think I'll change them then, Been quoted £36 each fitted, new 6 Ply.

Hi 111,

Ensure that you have the correct rated tyre fitted as we have a certain company who have not done so! We only found out when Barrons were doing the service. We returned to the scene of the crime and they argued the point, though when wwe quoted the 'van tyres rating they gave in. This was an honest mistake?

This was in Thornaby at a reputable tyre outlet,

Ian.

All of which can be summarized as "Caravan Tyres are a Perishing Nuisance".

Seriously, there have also been rumours that the government may make it an offence to have tyres more than 5 years old on the public highway. Unless the "date code" is made clear and unmistakeable then the average user is put in a most invidious position. How many of us know how to interpret the code if we can locate it?

Also, once tyres become a limited-life commodity, what would be the chance of vendors allowing discount on old-stock, "short-life" examples?

Archived