Rear Panel Cracks

derbyandy

Just had to get our lunar fixed for the same problem, 8 in crack on the rear panel where it joins the roof. Problem was we didnt notice till we saw some dampness in a roof locker.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hi,

If you speak to your Avondale dealer they should repair or replace the panel under warranty.

46245[/snapback]

This is my 1st post, i have just noticed this afternoon that my 2005 dart 510 has cracks on the back panel, what is the normal practice to get it repair, do avondale reconise this as a fault, and what causes it?

Mark

This is my 1st post, i have just noticed this afternoon that my 2005 dart 510 has cracks on the back panel, what is the normal practice to get it repair, do avondale reconise this as a fault, and what causes it?

Mark

48509[/snapback]

Mark

Its a fault seen on a number of different types of van and is recognised by the dealers. My Elddis was repaired under warrenty and you cannot see the repair. At the time of discovery its worrying but I am sure it will not be an issue once you have been back to the dealers. Cause on my Elddis was stress cracking and became evident after a few trips, once repaired it did not reoccur.

Mark

Mark

48509[/snapback]

Hi Mark, after reading your post i checked the rear panel on my Dart 510/5 2004 model purchased last March. There is a crack on the left hand side just below the join of the roof and the rear panel. I checked the right hand side and found a hole!! where the crack has opened up, again the same position just below the join of the two panels. These were not there on our last outing in October.

Being Bank holiday today the dealer is closed. I'm off work until Thursday so will be off to the dealer in the morning with the van in tow.

To say i'm annoyed is an understatement. What I would like to know is do I have to accept a repair to the panel or can I demand a new panel be put on? How long will this take as I waited a long time for a replacement sliding door which supposedly had to come from Italy? Finally is this a common fault and if so why is it not being rectified by the manufacturers at the design or assembly stage?

The only good thing to come of this is I get to try out the Terrano I bought a little earlier than expected!

Very annoyed

Paul :angry::angry:

Hands up everybody who has a 2004 Avondale without any cracks in the rear panel. ......

Didn't think so.

Mine has a couple of small cracks and is due for service in a few weeks. I won't be picking it up until it's repaired.

Guest mr_sheens

these cracks should not be repaired but the rear panel replaced. be aware that the cracks are not specific to the rear panel only, but some of the front ones as well.

. ..I checked the rear panel on my Dart 510/5 2004 model purchased last March. There is a crack on the left hand side just below the join  of the roof and the rear panel. ..

. ..is this a common fault and if so why is it not being rectified by the manufacturers at the design or assembly stage?

48844[/snapback]

Hi Paul,

Sorry to hear of the crack sin your dart end panels. This was a known fault on the wide bodied 2004 Argentés, and many panels have been replaced under warrantee as a result. The 2005 Argentés had a more flexible material for the end walls, and this minimised the problem. The 2006 models have a narrower body again and I would not expect the same simptoms to be displayed on these.

That said, since they all have a narrower body and a totally different end wall panel, I am not aware of any Dart models that have displayed this fault. Let us know how you get on following your visit to your local dealer.

Regards,

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Hi Paul,

Sorry to hear of the crack sin your dart end panels. This was a known fault on the wide bodied 2004 Argentés, and many panels have been replaced under warrantee as a result. The 2005 Argentés had a more flexible material for the end walls, and this minimised the problem. The 2006 models have a narrower body again and I would not expect the same simptoms to be displayed on these.

That said, since they all have a narrower body and a totally different end wall panel, I am not aware of any Dart models that have displayed this fault. Let us know how you get on following your visit to your local dealer.

Regards,

Gordon.

48984[/snapback]

Hi Gordon, sorry for the delay in replying, I posted an update under caravan chat and forgot about here. Basically I took the van to the dealer, the manager tried to tell me it wasn't anything to worry about and just to keep an eye on it. I wasnt impressed with this answer so he suggested he could patch it up. Still not happy he said to leave the van and he would contact Avondale to see what they suggested. I was unhitching the van when the salesman came out and told me to take the van home he would order a new panel and hopefully fit it in 3-4 weeks time. He seemed a bit more " on the ball"

I will have to wait and see what happens in 3-4 weeks.

I'm just wondering now if in the meantime water could get into the skin of the van. One of the cracks ( the right hand side ) is a couple of mm thick. should I stick something over it or just leave well alone until the dealer takes it in?

Regards,

Paul.

Guest mr_sheens

paulni,

dont know who your dealership is but they certainly are NOT on the ball. this problem is very well known of within the avondale dealerships. the manager sounds like he doesnt know his a##e from his elbow to try and say keep an eye on it. is this so you can watch the crack get bigger and cause water ingress? patch it up!! does he not realise that you cant just patch it up. and why is a salesman, of all people, saying he will get you a new panel? sounds like this manager would be better off getting another job were wearing big shoes and a red nose would be more appropriate. im sorry to say though, that the salesman is also wrong in saying that they would be able to get a new panel in 3-4 wks. try 8-10wks, this is the norm not only for avondale but ALL the caravan manufacturers. and by the way to send you away without putting some sealant over the crack is a bit silly because this is a potential ingress problem.

im sorry to have a rant, but its no wonder this trade has such a bad name and poor reputation for aftersales when there are staff who clearly DONT know what they are doing or talking about, and try and bull their customers. i wish i could take these idiots out of the trade forever and give the decent guys a fighting chance of raising the standards.

Guest Hobbybod
Hi Gordon, sorry for the delay in replying, I posted an update under caravan chat  and forgot about here. Basically I took the van to the dealer, the manager tried to tell me it wasn't anything to worry about and just to keep an eye on it. I wasnt impressed with this answer so he suggested he could patch it up. Still not happy he said to leave the van and he would contact Avondale to see what they suggested. I was unhitching the van when the salesman came out and told me to take the van home he would order a new panel and hopefully fit it in 3-4 weeks time. He seemed a bit more " on the ball"

I will have to wait and see what happens in 3-4 weeks.

I'm just wondering now if in the meantime water could get into the skin of the van. One of the cracks ( the right hand side ) is a couple of mm thick. should I stick something over it or just leave well alone until the dealer takes it in?

Regards,

Paul.

49446[/snapback]

I'm not surprised Mr. Sheens is doing his nut after reading such a response from a dealer; absolutely dreadful. More power to your elbow Mr. S!

Anyway, I have a pal who has also had a fair bit of trouble with a new Avondale (Osprey) and he sent his extensive 'snag list' (~23 things) to Avondale directly, along with a fairly ascerbic letter. He used fax, 'phone and e-mail, persistently.

In the end the 'van went back to the factory, whether via his dealer or not, I'm not sure. He showed me a letter from Avondale in which they said that they hoped his unfortunate experience with his 'van had not put him off Avondale products or some such guff. He was not impressed.

So Paul, I suggest you take some close-up photos of all the problem areas in your 'van and send them to Avondale with a letter explaining the dreadful response of one of their dealers and asking them when they can take the 'van in to rectify the problems etc. etc. as its obviously pointless taking it to your dealer.

You can send copies to the NCC and the CC or whatever if you see fit.

In the meantime put some mastic in the gaps and cover the whole length of the crack, and more, with 2" wide Duck Tape stuck down as well as you can. You'll need to make sure that the panel is dry, and take more photos.

When I had a self-inflicted 'problem' on an old 'van in France, I used Duck Tape and some metal foil tape to seal some damage at the back corner of the 'van, and it kept water out for over 3 months; more than a 'crack' as well!!

Best of Luck, and get onto Avondale directly.

Guest mr_sheens

just to let you know, for this particular fault, any caravan dealership worth his salt should be able to fit a new panel. so there should be no need for it to go back to the factory. my staff can do this sort of repair in their sleep, very straight forward and easy, just takes a bit of time.

Hi Gordon, sorry for the delay in replying. ..

. ..One of the cracks ( the right hand side ) is a couple of mm thick. should I stick something over it or just leave well alone until the dealer takes it in?

49446[/snapback]

Thanks for the update Paul.

I think your questions have been answered by Mr Sheens and Hobbybod. Basically, keep any water from entering the crack until a repair can be carried out. It will probably take a couple of months to gat a new panel, but any compitent Avondale dealer should be able to carry out this work for you.

Regards,

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Hi,

A very [really VERY] old trick to stop cracks spreading any further whilst you wait for a new panel is to search for the end of the crack, and then drill a very small hole right at the end of the crack. I'm sure Mr S has seen or done this in his time in the trade. :)

You need to use the smallest possible drill size, and do it by hand very carefully to avoid going into anything important underneath. Then you fill the crack and hole with sealant to stop the water getting in. :mellow:

This also works on older vans where the cost of a new front or rear panel would be too much for the age of the van, but you do have to accept it looks a bit naff! :unsure:

And you can do the same on a plastic window that has a crack to stop that spreading further, again it'll keep an older van going till you decide what to do about a new window. <_<

HTH

mel

• 1 month later...

Just an update on the cracks in my rear panel. Well originally my dealer told me he would have a panel for me in 3-4 weeks. That was on the 3rd Jan. Still waiting. I went to our local show and he was there. athis was at the end of January. I approached him and he said that he might have a panel in stock but if not it would be in on the next Tuesday. Needless to say it didnt arrive. I have phoned twice since and each time he has said it would be in the following week. Our last conversation ended in him telling me not to phone him and that he would phone me when it came in.

It is now approaching 7-8 weeks of waiting which according to mr sheens is the normal time to wait for a panel to be delivered. That is why I have been patient. I am going to ring him this Saturday as I know he wont be phoning me. What should I say if im fobbed of again? Should I threaten to contact Avondale or C. A. B or should I give him more time? I am not aware of any other Avondale dealers in N. Ireland so I have to stick with this one and my van is due its first service soon.

I can tell you now i wont be buying from him again and begrudge the fact that I have to use him to service my van in order to keep the warranty valid.

Heres hoping

Paul :(

Just an update on the cracks in my rear panel. Well originally my dealer told me he would have a panel for me in 3-4 weeks. That was on the 3rd Jan. Still waiting. I went to our local show and he was there. athis was at the end of January. I approached him and he said that he might have a panel in stock but if not it would be in on the next Tuesday. Needless to say it didnt arrive. I have phoned twice since and each time he has said it would be in the following week. Our last conversation ended in him telling me not to phone him and that he would phone me when it came in.

It is now approaching 7-8 weeks of waiting which according to mr sheens is the normal time to wait for a panel to be delivered. That is why I have been patient. I am going to ring him this Saturday as I know he wont be phoning me. What should I say if im fobbed of again? Should I threaten to contact Avondale or C. A. B or should I give him more time? I am not aware of any other Avondale dealers in N. Ireland so I have to stick with this one and my van is due its first service soon.

I can tell you now i wont be buying from him again and begrudge the fact that I have to use him to service my van in order to keep the warranty valid.

Heres hoping

Paul :(

HI, sorry to hear about your proble, i purchased my argente, 2005 and took it back to get a couple of minor snags sorted out, while in the service manager pointed out a crack which i had not seen (rear panel top rhs) we were told about the problems with these panels, and they said it needed a replacement not a repair, after reading the magazines about the apalling delays on caravan spares, i was not expecting miracles, the dealer sealed the small crack with mastic, and we took our caravan home, we rally approx. every two weeks, and we continued using the van, about one month later i was looking closely at the front of the van (paranoia creeps in ) and noticed several small hairline cracks on the front panel, both sides, phoned the dealers, no problem, they would order a new front panel also, however, it may delay the rear as they would do both together. skip forward three months and i got a phone call saying both panels were in and they could do the van, 3 days later it was in and took two days to fix, i had expressed my concern over things i had read, glue on seat covers, dust and fibreglass inside, i need not have worried, we picked up the van and went straight to the rally field, it was spotless.

my brother in law who bought the same van, same time, has found cracks in his front panel and takes his in on saturday for repair, he has also waited three months.

i have to say the dealer has driven this they have been brilliant, and i would have no hesitation getting another van off them.

i would offer the following, your dealer has agravated the situation by quoting an unrealistic time scale, i would work on 12 weeks, possibly 14 if you are in ireland.

at the end of the day they are only cracks, they arent life threatening, you have worked long and hard, and parted with a significant sum of money to get that van, keep using it!

try to relax, lets be honest, the dealer aint getting stressed about it, avondale sure as hell aint getting stressed about it, its no good you worrying yourself sick about it.

their is light at the end of the tunnel, soon your van will be fixed, and you can put all this behind you, then you can use the most powerfull force you have, you can tell your fellow caravanners exactly what kind of service these guys gave you, gotta go, bedtime.

Dave.

Thanks Dave, as you say the dealer gave me an unrealistic timescale for the panel to arrive and this hasnt helped. We are still using the van but for the price of a phonecall just to let us know whats happening and that he made a mistake telling us 3-4 weeks in the first place am I asking too much?

Paul

Thanks Dave, as you say the dealer gave me an unrealistic timescale for the panel to arrive and this hasnt helped. We are still using the van but for the price of a phonecall just to let us know whats happening and that he made a mistake telling us 3-4 weeks in the first place am I asking too much?

Paul

Hi, no of course not, perhaps this guy should attend a course on communication skills, or possibly good old customer service, anyway, i see from your choice of towcar and van you are obviously a guy with great taste, have you had any trouble with the nats system on the terrano?

David.

I had the same problem on my last van (avondale dart 510/5 2000 model) which i bought new. the first service revealed cracks in the front panel which was sorted. The van was then stolen some 3 years later so i hope all the abs is cracked now.

Hi, no of course not, perhaps this guy should attend a course on communication skills, or possibly good old customer service, anyway, i see from your choice of towcar and van you are obviously a guy with great taste, have you had any trouble with the nats system on the terrano?

David.

Hi David, haven't had any trouble with the nats system on the Terrano or the two Almeras my partner has owned in the past. Only owned it for 5 months now and the only problem is it uses too much diesel!!

Paul :lol: