Are We Being Taken For Fools

Steven

Hi All,

You may have seen a Thread I started with regards to a fault that has occured with the water system on my Avondale Caravan.

A member of the Forum indicated which particular part that may have failed so I have been trying to source the part.

1st call was to the Avondale dealer who normally services the caravan, he said he would do his best and ring me back. This he did quoting on a supply only basis, the part would be £95 inc vat and postage. Next call was to another Avondale dealer who said that if the manufacturer still used the part then she could get a price however as my caravan was a 2002 model Avondale might no longer stock the part. I left it with her to ring me back and in the meanwhile I ran Zxx who manufacture the electronic part. They quoted me £54 plus £10 postage + vat =£75 and delivery within 14 days. The lady from the Avondale dealership rang me back to say it would be £141 as the retail price was £120 + vat and delivery which would be within 28 days.

So we have direct from the manufacturer £75

from the 1st dealer £95 (26% markup)

and finally from the 2rd dealer £141 (88% markup)

Do they really think we are fools and would not ring round to compare prices.

Is there any wonder we check and question everything when we have had work done.

I am all for anyone making an honest profit but is this not taking the XXXX????

Dealer names omitted to protect the innocent !!!!!!!!

Steve

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

I have experieced similar problems where dealers try to rip of customers . I have a bailey bordeaux . One of the windows had a small stone chip which made a small hole and crack . I asked my local dealer who suplied the van for a suply only quote =£360 + vat so i rang 2 0ther agents no1 =£175 +vat no2 =£206 inc vat. I then rang my local dealer and asked for an explanation, i was asked to wait then the line went dead . Suprise Suprise *next day i get a confirmation letter from local dealer =£210inc vat On careful reflection i decided to repair the stone chip Cost =£ 7-60P and you cant see the join as Eric Morecamb used to say . It goes to show trhat most dealers are rip of merchants where spares are cocerned

Coljac :rolleyes:

i had a leak on our bathroom tap, i contacted two dealers and both stated i would need a full tap assembly costing around 40-70 quid depending on who i would use, contacted whale and they sent me the part free of charge the following day, fitted at no cost by the weekend just shows dealers use ignorance and trust to fleece anyone

On my last caravan I had the misfortune to suffer a pipe, freeze and push off its connector, near the water heater, and when the thaw came the water in the pipes ran into the water heater module. when we went away for first time after this. I noticed the pipe had come off, so I put it back on. The water system worked OK but not the water heater.

I went to the nearest dealers and was told "It will need a new module as there are no replaceable parts inside"

Cost £80. 00

I decided to look at the module first. On inspection after removal, which took 15 mins, I found a fuse. So much for nothing you can replace. I checked the fuse and it was OK. I then cleaned some Green Fuzz of the circuit board. I reconnected the lead and tried the module. It worked.

On returning home I removed the Module and had all the connections re soldered by works electrician a a cost of £5. 00

Saving £75. 00.

So much for "no replaceable parts"

On my last caravan I had the misfortune to suffer a pipe, freeze and push off its connector, near the water heater, and when the thaw came the water in the pipes ran into the water heater module. when we went away for first time after this. I noticed the pipe had come off, so I put it back on. The water system worked OK but not the water heater.

I went to the nearest dealers and was told  "It will need a new module as there are no replaceable parts inside"

Cost  £80. 00

I decided to look at the module first. On inspection after removal, which took 15 mins, I found a fuse. So much for nothing you can replace. I checked the fuse and it was OK. I then cleaned some Green Fuzz of the circuit board. I reconnected the lead and tried the module. It worked.

On returning home I removed the Module and had all the connections re soldered by works electrician a a cost of £5. 00

Saving £75. 00.

So much for  "no replaceable parts"

41528[/snapback]

Gary at Arc Systems can fix many electrical products including Zig and Truma/Carver kit. Always worth a call :info@arcsystems. biz

Archived