What Do We Do With Our Wheels

mark.t

Put the van on axle stands as near as possible to the chassis reinforcement plates and lower the steadies, handbrake off. This gives the tyres and suspension a rest and avoids permanent set. Cover the wheels with either black plastic or purpose made covers.

Frank

As Frank says, use axle stands not winter wheels to rest the suspension.

I take the wheels off, re-paint the tyres with car tyre paint to slow down the deterioation due to sunlight and store the wheels in the dark.

Check your insurance - if a wheel clamp is mandatory you'll have to leave the wheels on.

thanks . ...one either side of each wheel?? how far should i lift it off the ground ????......just off or with wheels touching a bit? . ......i like the idear of covering them . ....i do have to keep the wheel clamp on . .....should the stands go on the under frame that runs along the vans lenght one each side of the wheel?? . ......

regards mark

thanks . ...one either side of each wheel??  how far should i lift it off the ground ????......just off or with wheels touching a bit? . ......i like the idear of covering them . ....i do have to keep the wheel clamp on . .....should the stands go on the under frame that runs along the vans lenght one each side of the wheel?? . ......

regards mark

41395[/snapback]

Place the axle stands,immediately inboard or outboard of the chassis longerons under the axle beam. If you have shock absorbers fitted the stands probably won't fit outboard. You need 1 axle stands for each side of the van.

If the stands are adjusted by a clevis pin you may find that the increment of adjustment means completely off the ground or wheels just touching. It does not matter which you use as the suspension and tyres are being relieved of the normal stationary load. The stands that I use leave the tyres just touching the ground.

Yes leave the wheel clamp on.

Handbrake off.

Steadies down increases the stability of the van whilst on stands.

Frank

I take of the wheels,and store them in the shed in Hessian sacks.

I fit lockable winter wheels "which I made B) ",

to take the weight of off the suspension, I have wooden chockes under the axle (well slices of tree trunks) works for me :)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Place the axle stands,immediately inboard or outboard of the chassis longerons under the axle beam. If you have shock absorbers fitted the stands probably won't fit outboard. You need 1 axle stands for each side of the van.

If the stands are adjusted by a clevis pin you may find that the increment of adjustment means completely off the ground or wheels just touching. It does not matter which you use as the suspension and tyres are being relieved of the normal stationary load. The stands that I use leave the tyres just touching the ground.

Yes leave the wheel clamp on.

Handbrake off.

Steadies down increases the stability of the van whilst on stands.

Frank

41397[/snapback]

Hi Frank

Am I right in assuming that its fine to go in the van when its on axle stands?

Pete

Hi Frank

Am I right in assuming that its fine to go in the van when its on axle stands?

Pete

41410[/snapback]

Pete,

As long as the steadies are down,and the axle stands are correctly placed it should not be a problem.

Frank

what do members do with there wheels over the winter period . .

41367[/snapback]

Use them!!!!

More and more sites are open all year, make use of them. You'll generally find them quieter than the rest of the season - and you won't have to warry about what to do with your wheels :blink:

I'll second that 'hitched_up'

At least every other weekend year round, get out into the country, lovely and quiet and looking forward to New Year in the 'van.

We used ours last year through the winter, however it was such a job cleaning the salt off when we got back, that I will make bonfire night one of the last outings before spring.

UNLESS WE HAVE ANOTHER SMALL RALLY :rolleyes::)

Paul B

We used ours last year through the winter, however it was such a  job cleaning the salt off when we got back, that I will make bonfire night one of the last outings before spring.

UNLESS WE HAVE ANOTHER SMALL RALLY   :rolleyes:  :)

41465[/snapback]

Did a hear another rally how about a Christmas rally in december at a site nr a pub we could all go for a Christmas meal and have a party for the kids am sure we could even find a santa for them to see. the children could even come along as well

would love to put my Christmas light up on the van.

how about a cl site nice and cheap and close by

could discuss on bonfire nite

as this post is about wheels, ;)

perhaps it a meals on wheels Christmas rally B)

I like Christmas at home, but what about a pre-Christmas party somewhere

was going to suggest cooking turkey on your cadac, but it might get it dirty :lol: plus it seems rather low :P

Paul B

Archived