Lunar Quasar Or Swift Challenger Sport....?

I'm in a dilemma on which caravan to buy but I've narrowed it down to two by virtue of availability at local dealers, layout (side dinette / end wash) and I wish to buy British.

It's either;

Lunar Quasar 494 - Lightweight, £400ish cheaper, appears to be better put together with more attention to details and build quality.

Swift Challenger Sport 524 - Larger 'van with more space including head height (I'm 6'2") but 150kg heavier, side dinette larger, 10 year warranty (water ingress), slightly more kit for money.

A lot of people call Lunars "leaky" and a lot of people complaining about build quality on Swifts. From a month of looking Lunars and Coachman caravans appear to be better put together with more attention to the details and build quality but are more traditional in build. Salesmen are vague and avoid talking about build quality.

Help! Any thoughts on this subject would be welcome.

Edited by jeffo

All the best, Rich.

Subaru Forrester pulling a Lunar Quasar 494 & two dogs!

I'm in a dilemma on which caravan to buy but I've narrowed it down to two by virtue of availability at local dealers, layout (side dinette / end wash) and I wish to buy British.

It's either;

Lunar Quasar 494 - Lightweight, £400ish cheaper, appears to be better put together with more attention to details and build quality.

Swift Challenger Sport 524 - Larger 'van with more space including head height (I'm 6'2") but 150kg heavier, side dinette larger, 10 year warranty (water ingress), slightly more kit for money.

A lot of people call Lunars "leaky" and a lot of people complaining about build quality on Swifts. From a month of looking Lunars and Coachman caravans appear to be better put together with more attention to the details and build quality but are more traditional in build. Salesmen are vague and avoid talking about build quality.

You'll get good and bad vans from any manufacturer. We've had a 2010 Quasar 524 (predecessor of the 494 I think) and have been most impressed with the quality and finish. It's our first van and so we have nothing to compare it with, but I would be more than happy to buy a Lunar in the future. Best always to buy through a good dealer with a high reputation. Plenty of folks on here could point you in the right direction. ..I can't as I'm from "down sarf""

Ford Mondeo 2. 0 TDCI Zetec estate and Lunar Quasar 524

We not join SwiftTalk and pick up information from existing Challenger Sport owners appears most are very happy with their choice. You don't have to own a Swift or even a caravan to become a member. The website is run by Swift but no punches are pulled and Swift moderators are extremely helpful,which is a real bonus.

Don't know if Lunar have a similar setup,but its worth exploring every avenue when spending all your cash

It's either;

I think glreeves is correct in that there are good and bad from all manufacturers. I had a 2010 Lunar Quasar 556 which was a very nice van and we had no issues with it at all. However the width and height was an issue for me and we upgraded to a Delta Ti. Once again it is built fantastically well and apart form some Heki struts failing - a common issue on one batch to many caravan manufacturers, we have had no issues and are over the moon with it. So much so we spent 50 nights away last year in it. This was all over the Uk and right down to Bordeaux.

As an alternative, that has the same larger width and 6'5" head height as my Delta, you could try the Lunar Lexon 520 - 165kg heavier and £2000 list price more than the Quasar but I am sure you could have a deal. This is a very nice van.

Good luck with your choice, I hope you enjoy whatever you buy.

2020 Swift Eccles 650 towed by Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 4.4

"What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!"

Before we bought our Challenger Sport last autumn we were all set to order the equivilent Lunar Quasar. However, no dealership in the NW could provide one to see and then Flintshire got the Swift in. We were sold on it immediately but we did eventually see the 2012 Quasar when one eventually arrived and were really glad that we hadn't waited. IMO the Swift is a much better van all round and good VFM.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

. ..................difficult isn't it? I will just say whilst there are moans about build quality on just about every UK built caravan we have had 4 Swift Group 'vans. ..and only one Lunar. ........this was a disaster. From units coming away from walls and delamination within weeks of purchase ( new model from Birmingham Show)..to factory 'unwilling' to supply two new steadies when they failed within the first year. ...'needed for new production not spares'.............

However, a friend who worked in the trade for more than a dozen years always believed the timber construction was better in Lunar than any other UK brand at that time. .........

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Hi

I have owned a Lunar Quasar I now have a Lunar Solaris whih I will be part exchanging next week for a new Clubman. Build quality on my Lunar vans has been excellent with good service from Ropers Caravans and no problems with only minor warranty issues. The only Swift van I have owned leaked and I had to do a major strip down to repair it. I hope I get the same after sales service from Catterick Caravans.

Regards

Sandy

I have a 2010 quasar 525, had it since new. My first ever van, so again nothing to compare it with. No major problems.

People used to laugh at Skoda, not any more. Lunars may have had water ingress problems before I believe, but like Skoda they have improved.

Anton

Anton

In the end you pay your money and take your choice - it's you who has to live with the decision good or bad. I doubt there's a lot to choose between them.

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

It's either;

I think glreeves is correct in that there are good and bad from all manufacturers. I had a 2010 Lunar Quasar 556 which was a very nice van and we had no issues with it at all. However the width and height was an issue for me and we upgraded to a Delta Ti. Once again it is built fantastically well and apart form some Heki struts failing - a common issue on one batch to many caravan manufacturers, we have had no issues and are over the moon with it. So much so we spent 50 nights away last year in it. This was all over the Uk and right down to Bordeaux.

As an alternative, that has the same larger width and 6'5" head height as my Delta, you could try the Lunar Lexon 520 - 165kg heavier and £2000 list price more than the Quasar but I am sure you could have a deal. This is a very nice van.

Just found Lunar Lexon 520 brand new 2012 with £2,500 off at Leisure Sales in near Sandbach, Cheshire. Nice dealer I bought my last van here and great service

Interesting . ..

We own a 2012 Eccles Sport dealer special. So a Challenger Sport with a different hairdo (and being a dealer special much more kit!). Build quality is spot on. I don't think you will be dissappointed with the Swift.

However I have always liked the Quasar. One attraction for us is the fact that it is narrower than many 'vans at 7ft1. Our driveway is narrow . .. our current 'van at 7ft5 wide and we just manage!

My hunch is Lunar will overhaul much of their range for 2013 as they are starting to look old fashioned (though I still like them). I think they have started the ball rolling with the new Venus range.

2018 Swift Elegance 580  towed by a 2018 Volvo XC60 D5 Power Pulse R Design

adria estrela thats put a spanner in the works best build quality in any ncc van he he,

Do they still have gas only water and space heating?

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

Just found Lunar Lexon 520 brand new 2012 with £2,500 off at Leisure Sales in near Sandbach, Cheshire. Nice dealer I bought my last van here and great service

Thanks for all the comments, might have to look at the Lexon too. Getting the impression that neither 'van is a lemon so which ever I buy I'll be satisfied I asked around first.

Shame there isn't a J D Power for Caravans!

All the best, Rich.

We have just changed from a 2011 model Quasar 534 to a 2012 Swift Challenger Sport 514 only because the Swift had slightly more head height + width and we could not get on with the window in the shower wall, the build quality and finish on the Lunar was the best of any van we have owned and I had nothing at all to report on the first service.

Edited by Steve Drew

Steve

2017 Dethleffs Globus I1 Motorhome.

We've got a 2011 Lunar Ultima 560 ( which is based on the Lexon).

Having owned 3 Coachman caravans in the past along with Swift, Bailey and a 1994 Lunar), I think I can truly comment about the Lunar we now have.

The build quality is as good as any of the Coachmans or other caravans we've owned, and in many ways much better.

Nothing has gone wrong except the water inlet housing splitting and the mirror developing a crack.

Since taking delivery end December 2010, we've spent 107 nights in the caravan, including 2 trips down to the Dordogne. So about 4500 miles towing too

Its easy to tow, light for the size, and feels really friendly.

Robinsons of Worksop have looked after us really well.

Not much else to say, just hope in writing this we've not tempted the demons to descend upon us!!!

Lunar Ultima 560 towed by VW Tiguan 2. 0TDi

We bought a new Clubman SI in 2009,its now back at the Lunar factory after damp was found in the front(50%reading).Waiting to see how Lunar deal with this but the dealer had poor cooperation from them,and we really do'nt want the van back.

John.

We bought a new Clubman SI in 2009,its now back at the Lunar factory after damp was found in the front(50%reading).Waiting to see how Lunar deal with this but the dealer had poor cooperation from them,and we really do'nt want the van back.

John.

Placed a deposit on a Lunar. ... will have my fingers crossed it doesn't develop into a 'Leaky Lunar'!

All the best, Rich.

Placed a deposit on a Lunar. ... will have my fingers crossed it doesn't develop into a 'Leaky Lunar'!

Well done and I hope your very happy with it.

As a matter of interest which one did you buy Jeff?

Hope you enjoy your new toy :)

Present outfit: 2015 Compass Rallye 644, Reich AWD Mover and Range Rover Vogue TDV8

Well done and I hope your very happy with it.

As a matter of interest which one did you buy Jeff?

Went for the Quasar 494, feels well built and suits our needs. I looked at larger models but I prefer to keep to a reasonable size / weight, again suits our needs. Saw many quality issues in Swifts when looking at dealers too.

All the best, Rich.

• 2 months later...

Having had 3 Swifts all that have had water leak issues decided to go for Lunar Delta TI

Van was delivered on 22March this year have used it for 28 nights so far have had no problems at all and no leaks

Very roomy and comfortable

Hope you enjoy yours!