Caravan Mover

derbyandy

hi all just a quick note to all the caravaning people out there who donot have a motor mover fitted to there van yet well get one i have a avondale 650 twin wheel. It use to be the only thing i hated was getting the van back on my drive well no longer i can now do it on my own no kids wife dogs just a remote best 1300 i have spent in a long time if anyone wants to know how easy it was to fit just ask :D

hi all just a quick note to all the caravaning people out there who donot have a motor mover fitted to there van yet well get one i have a avondale 650 twin wheel. It use to be the only thing i hated was getting the van back on my drive well no longer i can now do it on my own no kids wife dogs just a remote best 1300 i have spent in a long time if anyone wants to know how easy it was to fit just ask  :D

41314[/snapback]

:D I just unhitch the van and turn the car round hitch up to the front of the car and do it that way, And only cost a £10 :o

Steve

:D I just unhitch the van and turn the car round hitch up to the front of the car and do it that way, And only cost a £10 :o

Steve

41316[/snapback]

A good solution, but even this setup is no match for a mover. The mover will enable you to manouver your van into anywhere with much more precision that you can get with normal hitched manouvering, front or rear. There is just no contest. You have to experience it to believe it. I thought that I could get my van anywhere with brute force and husband/wife/kid power but our mover makes us look so awkward. No matter how good a driver you are

you will never out manouver a mover!!

navigator

hi all just a quick note to all the caravaning people out there who donot have a motor mover fitted to there van yet well get one i have a avondale 650 twin wheel. It use to be the only thing i hated was getting the van back on my drive well no longer i can now do it on my own no kids wife dogs just a remote best 1300 i have spent in a long time if anyone wants to know how easy it was to fit just ask  :D

41314[/snapback]

Looking forward to trying our one out on the new Bailey when it arrives in early Nov (currently at sea between Johannesburg & Perth). I added it to the order based on the glowing refs from fellow forum members :) . Sounds like it will be the best thing since sliced bread. :D

J L

It's not always easy to accommodate the additional payload. Movers are typically 25-30 kg and a decent battery will be 10 kg above a lightweight one.

Excluding the "Essential Habitation" many caravans have a user payload around 100kg. Fitting a mover can mean that the user payload is reduced to about 70kg - which is very restrictive.

For many caravanners this just isn't practical - but then so few caravanners actually weigh either their contents or their loaded caravan.

Looking forward to trying our one out on the new Bailey when it arrives in early Nov (currently at sea between Johannesburg & Perth). I added it to the order based on the glowing refs from fellow forum members :) . Sounds like it will be the best thing since sliced bread. :D

J L

41338[/snapback]

John Lee, Johannesburg is in the middle of South Africa and 300 miles from the sea! :D I am sure you will enjoy your new van which ever way it comes.

I used to put off going away at weekends, simply because of having to put the caravan away when we got back. It was the case of hoping the neighbours were in, then asking for help to get the caravan up my gravel drive. :(

Now with mover, its a pleasure

I can manouvre it myself, easily! and at 4 in the morning we can get it out without wakening anyone up, if need be. :)

to quote navigator,

No matter how good a driver you are, you will never out manouver a mover!! :D

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

John Lee, Johannesburg is in the middle of South Africa and 300 miles from the sea!  :D  I am sure you will enjoy your new van which ever way it comes.

41365[/snapback]

I know but I didn't think anyone would know where Durban was (No offence Durbanites B))

Maybe though that's why the schedule is changing so much - It might have got a flat tyre between Johannesburg and Durban :lol: - the ship originally was due in Auckland 31st Oct & now isn't due 'till 3rd Nov making the request for the right days off on my advance roster a bit tricky :angry: I have to cover the length of the country to collect it you see. :)

I used to put off going away at weekends, simply because of having to put the caravan away when we got back.   It was the case of hoping the neighbours were in, then asking for help to get the caravan up my gravel drive. :(

Now with mover, its a pleasure

I can manouvre it myself, easily! and at 4 in the morning we can get it out without wakening anyone up, if need be. :)

to quote navigator, 

No matter how good a driver you are, you will never out manouver a mover!! :D

41399[/snapback]

Agree. ...the independence the movers allows is a great benefit. If I had to rely on wife and two teen age daughters to assist in moving, well lets just say it would not happen!!! For us we have to contend with a narrow driveway and a narrow road (impossible to use the car to manouver the van), without the mover it would not be possible to store the van at home. We place a high value on the the convenience of having the van at home, so are very pleased with the mover.

Agree. ...the independence the movers allows is a great benefit. If I had to rely on wife and two teen age daughters to assist in moving, well lets just say it would not happen!!! For us we have to contend with a narrow driveway and a narrow road (impossible to use the car to manouver the van), without the mover it would not be possible to store the van at home. We place a high value on the the convenience of having the van at home, so are very pleased with the mover.

41418[/snapback]

I totally agree that the mover is the best thing we bought for the caravan :):):)

41418[/snapback]

Same here, we store the van at the outlaws as we have no room at home. As they have a gravel drive and its not straight access and a narrow road and gate it takes two strong guys to get it in and out. We had the Powrtouch fitted yesterday, so so much easier. Its currently been positioned with the mover about 10mm away from the roof of a shed.

Point to note, when using on gravel I have found that a pneumatic (spelling, sorry) tyre is much better. Cost £23. 00 (complete JW) from local dealer. The old plastic tyre that was on took the mover the wrong way is it ploughed through the gravel for the first few seconds of moving. The new tyre enables the mover to be more precise.

Steve and Jo

Best invention ever.

We had a Powrtouch fitted to our Compass Rallye as we live on a very busy road and with the shape of our drive we are unable to pull in to it with the caravan attached. Luckily there is a very wide footpath outside our house and all I have to do is to drive onto it parallel with the garden wall and park with the front of the caravan opposite the entrance to our drive. As the mover allows the van to turn in its own length we are able to swing it into the drive without it having to go onto the road at all. The back end does swing out as it turns but this only means that we have to wait for a gap in the traffic before carrying out the manoeuvre.

Watching some of the expressions from the passing motorists when they see the caravan apparently moving of its own accord is in itself almost worth the cost of the gadget.

:lol:

One of my hobby's is Radio Controlled Cars; I never thought I'd have a Radio Controlled Caravan. ....

We purchased out first caravan a few weeks ago. When we were at the dealers they had one fitted to a van out front to have a play on. I was totally hooked and ordered one there and then. (£850 fitted for a Reich, which I think is pretty good)

It's already proved itself manovering up our drive, and again into a tight spot at the storage facility. (in other words I've not had to embarress myself trying to reverse with the car!!!)

Steve.

I know but I didn't think anyone would know where Durban was (No offence Durbanites B))

Maybe though that's why the schedule is changing so much - It might have got a flat tyre between Johannesburg and Durban :lol:  - the ship originally was due in Auckland 31st Oct  & now isn't due 'till 3rd Nov making the request for the right days off on my advance roster a bit tricky :angry: I have to cover the length of the country to collect it you see. :)

41405[/snapback]

None taken although we are from Durban!

One of my hobby's is Radio Controlled Cars; I never thought I'd have a Radio Controlled Caravan. ....

We purchased out first caravan a few weeks ago. When we were at the dealers they had one fitted to a van out front to have a play on. I was totally hooked and ordered one there and then. (£850 fitted for a Reich, which I think is pretty good)

It's already proved itself manovering up our drive, and again into a tight spot at the storage facility. (in other words I've not had to embarress myself trying to reverse with the car!!!)

Steve.

41443[/snapback]

I have a 'history' with radio controlled cars, I often joke with my neighbours that the 'van is the biggest radio controlled car I've ever had !!!!!!! Must admit that this helps, no problem with driving towards or away from me, you know reversed controls !

Just to deviate a little from the subject - I have a Reich motor-mover fitted and it's just great. But one thing concerns me - It's fitted in front of the front axle (as many, but not all are fitted). At the moment, I can't see how it's possible to jack up the caravan (in the event of a flat or wanting to replace the tyres with winter wheels).

The recommended jacking point is under the axle or under the specially reinforced axle points. But, as far as can see, access is restricted because of the position of the mover.

How do other owners, who have a mover fitted in front of the axle, jack up their caravan to remove/replace the wheel ?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Hi Purplebus

My Powrtouch mover is fitted in front of the wheel just like yours. There is enough room to position a jack onto the reinforced axle point by approaching from behind the wheel. I actually did it yesterday albeit with a trolly jack.

My concern is that I don't think you could position any jack under this point with a flat tyre and I guess the only answer is to purchase an ALKO jack and bracket that attaches to a point on the chassis that is further away from the wheel/axle.

If I get a puncture on my van I intend to call out the breakdown service and let them sort it out.

Pete

which make of motor mover is best ? as im slightly disabled & have to park the van on a compound which is & gravel & uneven paving slabs, the only bit i hate about vaning is coming home to park, my mum 89 says i always say im selling it (joking) when we get back each time help please, san

A caravan should NEVER be jacked up in front of the axle.

Either jack under the axle itself of if jacking points have been fitted, use these which are behind the axle.

Fitting a mover in front of the wheel is the best place as vertical movement of the wheel/tyre has much less horizontal displacement than fitment behind the wheel.

Underbody obstructions may limit the choice for particular caravan models.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a mover fitted, a Powermover, It arrived on the day they had arranged beforehand, the fitter arrived when they said he would (2 min late!! lol) not bad timing from Scunthorpe to Bridlington, he was polite VERY helpeful and took only 1hour. 30mins to do the job, after which he gave me a full demo with me taking the 'van' out of my drive, turning in the road and back into the garden to parked position, the drive has a steep slope about 1 in 4 and tight.

the 'soft' start is amazing!! I can position the 'van' to a fraction of an inch!!

• 1 month later...

We have the Carver Movers on our 2000 Coachman Wanderer, it's a really useful thing to have but you need a very good powerful battery to operate it. We had an 85 amp battery and it just wasn't man enough for the job, it wouldn't even get the van up the dropped kerb on our driveway!

Admittedly we have since found the battery was on it's way out and have now bought a 110 amp battery which should do the business! :P

As others have said though, these batteries are very heavy and combined with the weight of the movers it all adds up.

• 3 months later...

We have just returned to caravanning after a break of some 20 years, my wife was concerned at first about the effort of moving a van around, our hard standing is in a very awkward spot and no room for manouvering about. Me, couple of heart attacks in last few years so no room for error there either.

Ideal solution of course was a 'mover' and what a solution, at last, I really am becoming older and wiser!

Not only good and efficient, what a toy, biggest remote control 'vehicle' around and so accurate cam move within fractions of an inch.

Good move !!!!! ok can all groan at the last bit.

• 3 weeks later...

A quick one, the last time I used my Powrtouch to reverse my caravan off the drive, I performed a 360 degree turn on the road to point it in the right direction, it seemed to me that a lot of pressure was exerted on the tyres with this manouvre.

Can your tyres be damaged by performing a 360 degree turn using the motor mover ?

Sorry for the long winded speel !!

:unsure:

A quick one, the last time I used my Powrtouch to reverse my caravan off the drive, I performed a 360 degree turn on the road to point it in the right direction, it seemed to me that a lot of pressure was exerted on the tyres with this manouvre.

Can your tyres be damaged by performing a 360 degree turn using the motor mover ?

Sorry for the long winded speel !!

:unsure:

Don't know if the pressure will damage the tyre, when I do a 360 degree turn I always use both motor that is what I was told to do by the fitter.

Archived