Towing Larger Vans

Griff

Hi,

Bit of a jump in Van size for us from a 6 metre shipping length to 8 and wondering about the trailing swept pattern for larger Vans.

OK, the wing mirror on the inside of the turn will show kerbs an any potential obstructions but what about the outside rear corner?

How do you guys with the Twin Axles and large Singles ensure that that corner does not swing into anything untoward?

Not too bad I suppose in quieter places where the wife can get jump of the car and watch guiding with the Walkie Talkie but what about trailing through towns etc. where stopping for a look might not be on?

Maybe it's not quite the problem I am imagining though - hopefully not. :(

Cheers.

Griff.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

I think the answer is not to take corners too sharply. Then the caravan follows the natural turn as apposed to swinging.

The first site I went on with the big'un I very nearly swung around and hit a 'barrier opening button post’ !! :blink:

When entering or leaving sites with tight turns or narrow gates I get the wife to watch the back of the van. Otherwise on the open road I just keep a good look in both mirrors. 1st van was 14ft x 6ft6ins. current van 23ft8in x 7ft 6in, cant say the current van is any more dificult to tow.

Like del, I get partner to check rear of 'van coming out of sites but on the open road and thro' towns, no problems but very concious of the 23' 10" behind me.

Did hit one problem a few weeks ago, site entrance was quite sharp off a main road but then dropped significantly, chassis of 'van hit the road before the wheels were at the 'crest'. Had to stop traffic whilst I reversed, then carried on to a lay-by, cancelled the site and found another!!!!!!!!!

1. If possible I park safely, get out and recce a nasty looking manouvre.

2. Try and position the van sensibly before making a wide or sharp turn, even if this means driving across the white line.

3. Slow down well in advance to control the traffic behind you. Give plenty of warning to oncoming traffic if at all possible. Think whether it is better to let traffic pass you before making the final move.

4. Dont rush it, and dont get forced into to doing so by impatient drivers behind and around you.

Thats the way I try and do it.

Bit of a jump in Van size for us from a 6 metre shipping length to 8 and wondering

Maybe it's not quite the problem I am imagining though - hopefully not. :(

Cheers.

Griff.

41268[/snapback]

Its really not a problem - I switched from a 2 berth to a 4 berth twin axle (27' long + a large 4 x 4 tow vehicle)and didnt find there to be much difference in the space you need to allow for manouvering it - take it steady, dont rush, and enjoy !!

Margaret

Margaret

I don't do technical !!!

Just me and my showdogs!!

I put a poll up regarding this somewhere else once. Judging by the replies I got, no one seems remotely bothered. I feel meself, if you don't worry or think about it, you get away with it more from luck than judgement.

Archived