Caravan Handbrake

Steve

Is it good practice to leave the handbrake on in storage or is there a risk of the brake linings sticking or other problems if it's left on over Winter for example ?

Steve

Fiat Rimor Europeo 69P Motorhome

Absolute best is to remove wheels and jack it up so that it is not sitting on tyres. We never do that but we do release the handbrake and put chocks behind and in front of the wheels. Can cause a siezure if you leave the brake on. With the steadies down and chocks behind the wheels the van won't move anyway. Don't forget to put a good bowl of salt in the van to suck up the condensation.

Emma

I always leave my hand brake off when our caravan is stored at the back of our garage. If I were leaving it in storage a number of miles away I think I would leave the hand brake on for peace of mind.

You could put chocks on the wheels and leave the hand brake off but my worry would be some one removing the chocks.

I think that we have had this question before so it may be worth having a search for it.

Pete.

Thanks for the replies,

The reason I'm asking is because I'm considering putting a lock & chain over the handbrake lever as an extra security measure so it's going to be on for over most of the Winter, normally I leave the handbrake off.

Emmajon are you speaking from personal experience or has this happened to someone you know, I've searched the forum about this but can't find anything specific?

Steve

I always leave the hand-break on but only leave the caravan for a max of 6 weeks cos we use it most of the year. Another thing I do is to raise the front of the caravan using the jockey wheel so that any rain flows off the roof not causing puddles, and possible leaks.

When not in use during the season, chocks to both wheels, handbrake off, deliberately not level.

In winter, take the wheels off and use axle stands, not winter wheels, as this will rest the rubber suspension components. Check your insurance as you shouldn't do this if a wheel clamp is a mandatory security device.

Paint the tyre sidewalls with car tyre paint to slow the deterioation and store in the dark.

If you reversed into the storage position then go back a few extra inches and then finally pull forward those few inches to ensure that your brake shoes are in the normal (and not the reverse) position.

Do not leave the handbrake on as the asbestos free brake linings now used are notorious for sticking to the drums.

Emmajon are you speaking from personal experience or has this happened to someone you know, I've searched the forum about this but can't find anything specific

41239[/snapback]

We parked our second car at the airport for two weeks with the handbrake on. When we returned, the car was unwilling to drive forward. Finally, it did, but the brakes were appalling on the journey home. When eventually I got around to seeing to it, I found one of the linings had torn away from the shoe.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Hi

Yes I am speaking from personal experience. Not with the current van but with a previous - Lunar Arianne. We left the brake on through winter from Sept - April and it seized. We had most of the underside running mechanism replaced. We now never leave the brake on for long periods of time but use chocks and make sure the steadies are down. We have never had a problem with movement doing this in the last 3 years.

Emma

Guest macSpot

I always left the handbrake off until a recent event made me change my mind. Our van is in storage, not far from home, and at the beginning of the year, after a particularly windy weekend, we decided to visit the van and check on it. To my surprise we found half a dozen vans had been moved by the wind, two had run back against the surrounding fence, and a couple more had been blown into nearby caravans. All the vans corncerned had damage of some sort and all had been left with their handbrake off. The site warden told us it wasn't the first time this had happened.

I decided to check with my dealer about his thoughts on the subject, and he had very strong feelings about it - but the bottom line was in his opinion there was no justifiable reason not to put the brake on when parking the van.

I now always leave the handbrake on, but make a point of operating it during any visits we make to the van.

Remember this is just my opinion.

MacSpot

Always left mine OFF. The steadies stop it from moving and the wheel clamp acts as a wheel chock!

Its not going anywhere - which is just as well, because the offside wheel is raised off the ground on a 6inch thick concrete block so its level during storage (I use my Fiamma chocks as ramps to position it!). The place I store it on has a slope!

Has been fine during high winds so far. .. B)

Gaz

Left the handbrake on on our old van many years ago, it seazed on we managed to free it but it was making all sorts of squeeking noises for a few miles. We no longer leave the handbrake on. The down side to this is if someone kicked the chocks (well house bricks really :lol: ) from under the wheels the van would finish up in the road.

good luck keith

I always leave it off as the storage place that I park at, is flat and it is parked on gravel, so its difficult to move when I want to. I've been there for 13 years with 3 different vans and have not had a problem yet. :)

Mikey

Just been reading through this again, thanks to everyone who replied.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

handbrake off, wheels off, on axle stands, jockey wheel up A-frame on a stand.

Then I have to reverse everything when the family stay at Christmas as my grandson and partner sleep in the 'van .

Mind you, I'd never thought of deliberately "unlevelling" it as some have said on this topic. I see the reasoning and will start doing that with our new 'un when I collect it tomorrow.

I've been on this forum less than half an hour and already learned something :-)

I had the experience of a seized brake after just a long weekend. Hitched up to go home and the van would hardly move. In fact the only reason that it moved at all was that we were on wet grass! Incidentally, the van was about 5 months old at the time, so no suggestion of poor maintenance etc as the cause.

I now ONLY use the handbrake whan hitching up and unhitching (just to make sure the van doesn't move unexpectedly)

I might be tempted to set the brake if I was pitched on anything other than a flat pitch.

Ifor Griffiths

Sterling Elite Searcher + Kia Sorento

Mind you, I'd never thought of deliberately "unlevelling" it as some have said on this topic. I see the reasoning and will start doing that with our new 'un when I collect it tomorrow.

Yes I liked that one too. I've just bought a jockey wheel lock and now plan to lock it well above the standard towbar height as an extra security measure to help guard against "box" towbar attachments which I believe allows a thief to hitch up without cutting off a hitchlock.

Steve

Jockey wheel lock?

Do tell more. ..

best cheers

Frank

Its called a "Jock Lock" and simply replaces the existing locking handle with a threaded stud and recessed coded nut which is removed with the supplied socket, you can also order spare sockets just in case. Cost £15. 00.

jock_lock_001_final.jpg

jock_lock_rotated_final.jpg

Its called a "Jock Lock" and simply replaces the existing locking handle with a threaded stud and recessed coded nut which is removed with the supplied socket, you can also order spare sockets just in case. Cost £15. 00.

I like it.

Where is it available from?

I have looked at the usual outlets and can't find it.

Frank

Ok I've found it £12. 99 +P&P @ East Coast Leisure

http://www. east-coast-leisure. co. uk/module. ..sp?Prodcode=921

I had the experience of a seized brake after just a long weekend.   Incidentally, the van was about 5 months old at the time, so no suggestion of poor maintenance etc as the cause.

Ifor Griffiths

Sterling Elite Searcher + Kia Sorento

43351[/snapback]

Was at local dealers early this year and witnessed a new caravan being collected. After fitting new towball to car they attempted to pull caravan to back of car only to find the brakes were binding. They then took caravan into wokshop to back off the brakes. They brought the caravan out, hitched it up, and off went another satisfied customer.

I think I would have asked for PDI to be done again. ....

I like it.

Where is it available from?

I have looked at the usual outlets and can't find it.

Frank

Ok I've found it £12. 99 +P&P @ East Coast Leisure

Do they have a website?

Archived