Shower Tray Covering?

Stephen Tomkison

On our coacman amara the shower cubicle floor stays wet for some considerable time after having a shower (yes, we must be the only ones using it even though im 6'1 and 17 stone). The problem lies (in my opinion) with the positioning of the plug hole. It is at the front of the tray. The waste water outlets are at the rear of the van. If I slope the van to the front so that the water runs to the plug hole it still seems to sit there because it then has to run though the waste pipes uphill.

So, Im assuming that other people have similar problems and wonder if they use some sort of matting in the tray while using the other facilities in the cubicle (WC/Sink) or is it a case of getting the van 100% level and hoping for the best?

Steve

We use our shower every day we are away with the 'van - no problems with drainage.

BTW I too am 6'1" but not quite as heavy at 13. 5 stones.

I just do not understand why people are reluctant to use their showers in the 'van, used sensibly you get a good and refreshing wash and it does not use too much water - we find that an Aquaroll filled twice a day is more than sufficient.

I aim for as level as possible and hope it all goes down the drainhole. ..

All four of us (2 oldies and 2 younguns) use the shower in the van, even if there is a shower block. Much cleaner in my van than some sites facilities. ..

We always fill the aquaroll and emtpy the waste before we get started and havent run out of water yet!

Logically, the caravan should be as level as possible. The shower tray should be designed to drain down to the plughole when the van is level. The waste plumbing should be designed to drain down to the outlet when the caravan is level.

BUT - most caravans aren't designed very well and very few are development tested at all by the manufacturer.

If the water container is full and the waste container is empty you should have enough, unless you like cold showers. There's only 10 litres of hot water stored. By mixing 50/50 with the cold to give a 40 degree C shower that's only 20 litres in total.

Hi, like others have said we to use the caravans shower, we have put a trigger type shower head on the shower hose so to help us save as much hot water as possible, we have found if the caravan is pretty level we get good drainage but sometimes it can be slow but then again it is only draining into 3/4" diameter pipe so i don't know if that could be a factor as coachman caravans do still use 3/4 overflow type waste pipes, after it has drained we always wipe the base of the shower tray and walls down just in case .

Stephen,

Your shower tray should have been installed when the caravan was set level. Normally slivers of timber are glued on the underside of the shower tray so that it creates a "fall" towards the plug hole. If the water does not drain away then there are two possibilities, either your shower tray has not been properly fitted or you are not setting the van level. I don't want to insult your intelligence but can I ask, how do you level your van?

navigator

Steve, we had the same trouble with our Amara. We bought a wooden deck from B+Q that fits in the shower perfect. Look here

http://www. diy. com/diy/jsp/bq/category/cat. ..p?CATID=8220050

Hope this helps Tom.

41218[/snapback]

I've wondered about getting a duckboard for mine as someone told me that they spread the weight on the shower. Would you say thats true?

Rizzo, I would definately take a look at the ones at B+Q. It worked well in ours. I glued two strips of rubber matting on ours to protect the shower base. Hope this helps.

Tom.

Just as a mater of interest are we all talking about the same things?

Our van has a dedicated circular shower unit and I certainly would not want to put anything like a wooden duck board into it, the shower tray is ribbed and these are angled toward the plug-hole, the whole unit is firm and requires no 'weight-spreading' devices and the water drains away without a problem PROVIDING the van is level, the waste water collector is lower than the waste outlet on the side of the van and the flexible connector pipe does not sag in the middle.

Stephen,

Your shower tray should have been installed when the caravan was set level. Normally slivers of timber are glued on the underside of the shower tray so that it creates a "fall" towards the plug hole. If the water does not drain away then there are two possibilities, either your shower tray has not been properly fitted or you are not setting the van level. I don't want to insult your intelligence but can I ask, how do you level your van?

navigator

41222[/snapback]

With a two way spirit level that is screwed to the front bulkhead shelf (IE, the shelf below the front window) so I can see it from the front of the van.

I am *assuming* that this shelf would be level to the rest of the van and so a reliable place to put it.

Is this gonna be about right?

Steve

Steve, if you click on the link and get to the shower page you can see the duck board in the shower tray. Sorry but I can't find the actual item on the B+Q website.

Tom.

• 3 weeks later...
With a two way spirit level that is screwed to the front bulkhead shelf (IE, the shelf below the front window) so I can see it from the front of the van.

I am *assuming* that this shelf would be level to the rest of the van and so a reliable place to put it.

Is this gonna be about right?

Steve

41281[/snapback]

I had one of these and had trouble levelling the van. I then looked closely at the level and the tube was not flush in the plastic so I had no hope of getting it right!!

On our coacman amara the shower cubicle floor stays wet for some considerable time after having a shower (yes, we must be the only ones using it even though im 6'1 and 17 stone). The problem lies (in my opinion) with the positioning of the plug hole. It is at the front of the tray. The waste water outlets are at the rear of the van. If I slope the van to the front so that the water runs to the plug hole it still seems to sit there because it then has to run though the waste pipes uphill.

So, Im assuming that other people have similar problems and wonder if they use some sort of matting in the tray while using the other facilities in the cubicle (WC/Sink) or is it a case of getting the van 100% level and hoping for the best?

Steve

41167[/snapback]

Hi Steve,

The first thing that I would do is re-route the outlets to the side of the van as outlets at the back are a dead loss on a sloping site if the back of the van is at the high end of the slope. If you can, mount the outlet for the shower alongside the plug hole. Keep pipework as short as possible with a small downward gradient to assist flow.

We bought a piece of 'moonwalker' which is non slip and available in various colours and widths off the roll,very cheap. It's like thick breathable ground sheet material. Cut it to fit the shower tray and after use, put it out to dry with your towels.

Frank

We

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your help.

Maybe I should of done this before posting but while getting the van onto axle stands today i noticed that the shower waste comes through the caravan floor into a flexible hose which drops a couple of inches then bends back up to be clamped to the underside of the floor. This creates sort of a "u" bend in the pipe which holds water. I guess that if I changed the way the water escaped to a right angled connector rather than a straight so that the waste pipe was always alongside the floor then it would drain better.

Steve

I have a Elddis, and was impressed to find that it came with a duck board in from new, it also has rigid pipework for all drains, :)

Although I suppose a drain in opposite corners of the tray would help.

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Archived