2006 Model Swift

Gatwickba

Having just ordered my 2006 Challenger, I was wondering where I can get hold of the bike carrier that the book says the van has fixing points for?

Does anyone already use one on their van, and if so have you noticed any adverse effects on stability having bikes so far behind the axle?

Dean.

Having just ordered my 2006 Challenger, I was wondering where I can get hold of the bike carrier that the book says the van has fixing points for?

Does anyone already use one on their van. ..

41131[/snapback]

Yes, we had a fiamma rack on the last two caravans. The rear wall had been suitably strengthened during manufacture.
. ..and if so have you noticed any adverse effects on stability having bikes so far behind the axle?

Dean.

Yes again. It is certainly not the best position to carry cycles from the stability point of view. With care and a suitably favourable weight ratio, it can be perfectly safe and stable. I would suggest limiting the weight to no more than two cycles, and be aware that you may have to adapt your driving speeds to allow for the reduced stability of the outfit.

Cycle.jpg

I know there are three cycle carriers shown here on the rear of an Avondale Rialto 640-6.

See also my comments in this thread.

We don't have a rear cycle carrier on our present caravan. Our circumstances have changed and we found the last carrier was being used more as a clothes line than a for cycles - and there are cheaper designs of clothes dryers!

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Does anyone already use one on their van, and if so have you noticed any adverse effects on stability having bikes so far behind the axle?

Dean.

41131[/snapback]

Make absolutely certain that the van will take a rear mounted rack - I have a 2005 Abbey and the book says some vans have fixing points BUT when I checked with Swift I was told that it was not advisable for my Abbey Freestyle 470! :unsure:

So I use the car roof with the excellent Thule lockable racks, B)

Our 2004 and 2005 challenger 550 have no fixing points for a cycle rack - surely they should be visible, some other models of challengers may have as said before investigate a little further, Swift should help.

Dave.

Archived