Pathetic Peep!

Al K Seltzer

I suppose that this is the right place to include this thread as it refers to the car rather than the caravan.

My only complaint with my present car (Sedona) is that the horn is a pathetic little peep. Whilst I accept that it has quite a shrill penetrating note I really would like to swap it for something that sounds much louder. However where do you start looking or should I say listening for a replacement. I know that you can go into a garage or the like of Halfords and purchase one but how do you know what it will sound like.

What make and model of car do you have and has it got a decent loud horn to let the world know that you are coming?

sounds pathetic but I had the same problem on my van (panel van) so much so that I just couldn't bring myself to use it in rage (which I love to do) If you go to Halfords etc you can buy a high pitched horn or a low pitched one - it tells you on the packet. Low pitched = much better sound now but Id really like a row of 6 airhorns that if sounded will make someone fall off their bike. :P

Hello.

We had air horns on our first car (brother and myself) a mini clubman, maybe only small but made a hell of a noise.

As for my car now the horns actually quite good, However a mechanic at work had a good quote

'If you have time to hit the horn, you have time to hit the brakes'

cheers. ..beep. .beep

Scott

"When I was a lad" we used to fit compressor operated triple air horns. They're very effective at getting you noticed.

41126[/snapback]

When I were a lad we had a brass klaxon operated by squeezing the bulb on the end.

We didn't use it much as it frightened the man in front with the red flag. :lol:

Frank

Personally I would try the local scrappy for a pair.

41244[/snapback]

I agree. Take a car battery and a pair of jump leads and go to a local scrapyard. Volvos, VWs and BMWs tend to have good loud horns. Stick the battery on a few, and buy the ones you like !

If you only fit one horn it can generally be a straight swap. If you fit 2 you may get away with it as (hopefully) it's something you don't use that often . .... ! :D

If you are fitting 2 (or more) powerful horns I strongly advise fitting a high current slave relay adjacent to the horn and cabling it direct to the battery.

Interesting subject this - well done.

On the subject of car horns, what about the control that your car has to allow you to sound the horn. Mine, like lots requires that I press an area on around the centre of the steering wheel. It needs me to change my grip on the wheel - hopeless, by the time you've moved your hand to sound the horn you've either crashed or the other car has gone. I liked the horn button on the end of the indicator stalk but that has now been used by the on-board computer display.

navigator

PS, Where is your car horn control?

I never heard my Peugeot 406 horn, by the time you found part of steering wheel that activated it the hazard had gone home or died of old age. MAN 44-tonne artics at work have puny, tinny little squeeks, that will not even worry roadside rabbits, in contrast the DAF 85's will make Ex-Lax redundant :blink:

I never heard my Peugeot 406 horn, by the time you found part of steering wheel that activated it the hazard had gone home or died of old age. MAN 44-tonne artics at work have puny, tinny little squeeks, that will not even worry roadside rabbits, in contrast the DAF 85's will make Ex-Lax redundant  :blink:

41490[/snapback]

Renault Premium's have an excellent horn :)

Paul