Garmin Quest

dipstick0_0

Hi All

Can anyone let me know in simple terms how I download information to my GPS unit

I have been on the Garmin web site but still cant seem to download any info

I would like to put on caravan parks and speed cameras to start with

Later I will require France and Spain

Any help please

Regards

Alan

Hi All

Can anyone let me know in simple terms how I download information to my GPS unit

I have been on the Garmin web site but still cant seem to download any info

I would like to put on caravan parks and speed cameras to start with

Later I will require France and Spain

Any help please

Regards

Alan

41096[/snapback]

I have the StreetPilot3 so am not too sure about Quest but it seems that the Garmin POI loader will only work with Quest2 ( see http://www. garmin. com/products/quest2/ )

Failing that you will have to check out what files are compatible with Quest for example xxx. mps will import into my Garmin with no problems.

I have the StreetPilot3 so am not too sure about Quest but it seems that the Garmin POI loader will only work with Quest2 ( see  http://www. garmin. com/products/quest2/  )

Failing that you will have to check out what files are compatible with Quest for example xxx. mps will import into my Garmin with no problems.

41130[/snapback]

Hi

Many thanks for your reply

It is still all double dutch to me I just dont seem to be able to download anything

must be a simple way but I just cant do it

Alan

The Quest doesn't support points of interest(poi) downloads. Using the City Select CD, install mapsource and follow the instructions to unlock the mapping for your individual quest unit.

once this is done, choose the maps to download (max 256mb) ( at least whole of uk), then choose the download to unit function. It will take 10-15mins unless you have a superfast PC.

you now have a quest that has detailed maps loaded including garmins choice of useful points of interest

I have imported the caravan sites as 'WayPoints' onto the PC and download those that I feel will be useful from the PC to the GPS (StreetPilot3) - problem with waypoints is that the GPS will only hold so many.

When touring France during the summer I took the 'LapTop' with me so that when we wanted to move sites I would look them up on the LapTop first, then transfer those that I required - did mean that I had to delete some of the older and now unwanted ones from the GPS unit.

I have imported the caravan sites as 'WayPoints' onto the PC and download those that I feel will be useful from the PC to the GPS (StreetPilot3) - problem with waypoints is that the GPS will only hold so many.

When touring France during the summer I took the 'LapTop' with me so that when we wanted to move sites I would look them up on the LapTop first, then transfer those that I required - did mean that I had to delete some of the older and now unwanted ones from the GPS unit.

41415[/snapback]

Hi

Well I have now managed to get my PC to reconise my GP unit

The garmin support team were really great in dealing with a thick o like me talked me through it I needed a driver for the programe they even managed to load it from there end even told me I was entitled to a free update disc and it will be in the post today So on to the next step now and see if I can download some sites somehow

Alan ;)

Hi

Well I have now managed to get my PC to reconise my GP unit

The garmin support team were really great in dealing with a thick o like me talked me through it I needed a driver for the programe they even managed to load it from there end even told me I was entitled to a free update disc and it will be in the post today So on to the next step now and see if I can download some sites somehow

Alan  ;)

41983[/snapback]

Like all new fangled toys these things take a little getting used to - I have had a Garmin StreetPilot (first the Colormap then then SP111) for more than five years and still find new features and ways to load things and I am sure that I still do some things the wrong way B)