Nissan X Trail - Recall

Pete

I have just taken my X Trail in to have a new turbo and ECU thingy fitted. (This is following a minor oil leak around the turbo, the car is only 12 months old and has done 17,500 miles.)

My dealer advised me that Nissan are just preparing recall letters to a range of vehicles, including X Trails, because of a faulty ECU (and something else that I have not heard of) which in turn cause the turbo to go too fast?? and can cause oil leaks or teeth coming off a belt (more serious). (You can see that I am out of my depth here.)

Given the number of X Trails that I have heard of requiring a new turbo it sounds like Nissan are finally getting their act together.

One question I forgot to ask is that if the turbo was going too fast what impact will this have on fuel consumption? Does this mean that it will improve when I get my car back tonight?

Pete.

Got my car back this morning. Delay caused by Nissan computer system being down yesterday and the dealer was unable to obtain a code required for the new ECU. (Well that's their story.)

I have had a new ECU, new turbo and a new boost sensor fitted. The fault lies with the ECU and boost sensor.

When I drove the car away I immediately noticed a big improvement in its performance. Lets hope it stays this way.

The only surprise is that I had not noticed the drop in performance in the first place. I can only assume that it was a very gradual reduction.

I will keep a close eye on the engine now for any signs of the oil leak starting again.

Pete

Pete

If you visit this Yahoo Group http://groups. yahoo. com/group/xtrailuk/ there is quite a bit of information. I have the first signs of an oil leak from the intercooler so it looks as though I will need mine replace. I am hoping that this cures the problem along with the recall as it does take the shine off what is a really excellent towcar.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Hi David

I have looked at that forum and it does seem to be quite a widespread problem and does affect other Nissan diesel models.

Am I right in thinking that the diesel engine fitted in X Trails is actually a Renault engine (or the other way round) along the lines of the Espace 2. 2 Diesel. There is a tie up between Nissan and Renault.

Good luck with your dealer when you get yours sorted. I checked mine today and no sign of the oil leak reappearing.

Pete.

Am I right in thinking that the diesel engine fitted in X Trails is actually a Renault engine (or the other way round) along the lines of the Espace 2. 2 Diesel. There is a tie up between Nissan and Renault.

Pete

There is hot debate about this one. The consensus is that it is a genuine Nissan engine and it is just coincidence that several Renault models have cars with a 2. 2 diesel engine. I think the original X came out before the union of the two car makers and the engine in the current X is a chipped version of the orginal engine. Apart from that your guess is as good as mine!!!!

David

David - Milton Keynes

Caravan Travels

Hi,

My X-trail dCI now a year old with 10,000 has had cam-chain problem from new which the dealer or Nissan UK are unable to fix - harsh rattle and vibration at 2200-2500 rpm - worse when towing. With my luck, it will probably blow up a week out of warranty. having experienced nissan customer care, they will be most unlikely to be interested or assist repair. A great shame, because this is an excellent vehicle in all other respects. Despite claims to the contrary by dealer, loads of other x-trails have the same problem, and a lot of owners that do not tow are probably unaware the engine in this vehicle is fatally flawed. I think as the mileages increase we will be reading loads of e-mails from disapointed owners. :(

I've just checked the DVLA website (Saturday 15/10) and there's no mention yet of any recall.

Maybe, as you say, there's one on its way. I've certainly had no problems with my X-Trail - I'm delighted with it so far (and that's after owning a very unsatisfactory Freelander).

Purplebus

I suppose its one advantage of the internet in that you learn about things far quicker than the usual means of communications! I have not had an official request to go into the dealer, I rang them. No doubt in due course I would have received a letter!

David

David - Milton Keynes

Caravan Travels

I've just checked the DVLA website (Saturday 15/10) and there's no mention yet of any recall.

Maybe, as you say, there's one on its way.   I've certainly had no problems with my X-Trail - I'm delighted with it so far (and that's after owning a very unsatisfactory Freelander).

41506[/snapback]

Purplebus,

I found out from my dealer, the letters have not been sent out yet. Like you I had a very unsatisfactory freelander before my X Trail. I am still very happy with my X Trail but will most likely change it before the 3 year warranty expires.

At the moment I will most likely change it for another new X Trail. There does not seem to be any other suitable vehicle out there that will tow our caravan and still return a reasonable running cost, which is more important to me than the capital cost.

Pete

Hi,

My X-trail dCI now a year old with 10,000 has had cam-chain problem from new which the dealer or Nissan UK are unable to fix - harsh rattle and vibration at 2200-2500 rpm - worse when towing. With my luck, it will probably blow up a week out of warranty. having experienced nissan customer care, they will be most unlikely to be interested or assist repair. A great shame, because this is an excellent vehicle in all other respects. Despite claims to the contrary by dealer, loads of other x-trails have the same problem, and a lot of owners that do not tow are probably unaware the engine in this vehicle is fatally flawed. I think as the mileages increase we will be reading loads of e-mails from disapointed owners.   :(

41484[/snapback]

IMHO You should keep nagging the dealer about your fault. If you have documentary evidence to prove that the fault existed prior to the warranty expiry date and it had been reported and not rectified, your repairs should still be covered by the warranty.

Cheers

Steve

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

I have not had a letter but phoned the dealer on Monday and its going in on the 24th to have the upgrade and new intercooler because of the oil leak. Possibly also the the turbo. I was asked if I noticed a whistle which solo I don't but I do whilst towing, I had always put that down to the extending mirrors.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Caravan Travels

I have not had a letter but phoned the dealer on Monday and its going in on the 24th to have the upgrade and new intercooler because of the oil leak. Possibly also the the turbo. I was asked if I noticed a whistle which solo I don't but I do whilst towing, I had always put that down to the extending mirrors.

David

41873[/snapback]

Hi, Klyne,

Please can you advise where to look for this oil - leak and also the nature of the upgrade. I have discovered any shortcoming with this engine is highlighted whilst towing, a sort of 'whistle while you work' or in my case ' the sound of the chain gang! Regards, Colin. :lol:

I have just taken my X Trail in to have a new turbo and ECU thingy fitted. (This is following a minor oil leak around the turbo, the car is only 12 months old and has done 17,500 miles.)

My dealer advised me that Nissan are just preparing recall letters to a range of vehicles, including X Trails, because of a faulty ECU (and something else that I have not heard of) which in turn cause the turbo to go too fast?? and can cause oil leaks or teeth coming off a belt (more serious). (You can see that I am out of my depth here.)

Given the number of X Trails that I have heard of requiring a new turbo it sounds like Nissan are finally getting their act together.

One question I forgot to ask is that if the turbo was going too fast what impact will this have on fuel consumption? Does this mean that it will improve when I get my car back tonight?

Pete.

40997[/snapback]

Does this affect the Mk 1 X-Trail?

Mike

Please can you advise where to look for this oil - leak and also the nature of the upgrade

Colin

If you open the bonnet on the X-Trail the intercooler sits in the middle on top of the engine. The leak comes from under the left hand corner nearest the front and drops down onto the pipework/manifold immediately below. What made me look for it was that I often noticed the smell burning oil in the cab.

As I understand it they seem to think that the original set up of the ECU causes the turbo to overboost therefore pushing oil into the intercooler where there should be none. The recall fits a new boost sensor and remaps the ECU. Additionally they will replace the intercooler and if required the turbo. They apparently have to examine the turbo before they know whether to change it. I think that is the gist of it.

Does this affect the Mk 1 X-Trail?

Mike

I am not sure that it does. Some mark 1 models had problems with the timimg chain tensioner but as far as I know that work should have been carried out as a recall. I have not heard of Mk1's being affected by the latest recall. The difference in power between the two types was achieved buy tweaking the software so I suppose they may not have realised some of the possible side effects!!

David

David - Milton Keynes

Caravan Travels

Klyne,

Thanks for your reply, sure enough, I have seen oil leak where you describe. This may solve mystery of why front of my caravan was covered in oil mist on recent trip from Mansfield back home to New Forest. This means I will have to pay visit to my dealer, who I bet will deny all knowledge of this problem as per normal. I think Nissan should forget building diesel engines and import proven reliable units from PSA or VAG group.

Another point of interest, I find selecting 2nd gear, either from 1st or 3rd, unless done very gently displays signs of weak/failing syncromesh, anone else experience this?

Regards, Colin

This might be of interest.

http://news. bbc. co. uk/2/hi/business/3227317. stm

David

David - Milton Keynes

Caravan Travels

This might be of interest.

http://news. bbc. co. uk/2/hi/business/3227317. stm

David

42056[/snapback]

Klyne, I have seen this and it applies to the earlier pre-dCI models. With reference to earlier e-mail about oil-leak etc, based on your information, I called into main dealer in Southampton, and they have confirmed split inter-cooler and also the requirement for 'enchancement' of ECU (???). They are now ordering parts prior to booking in. They have mentioned it is important to bring in tag with four digit code that should be attached to spare key when this work is undertaken. Once again, thanks for your help with this. Regards, Colin.

Colin

I did not realise the date of the report when I posted it!!! However it might explain why Nissan seem to be reluctant to make too much fuss about the current problem. I had heard stories of people only leaving the one key with the garage and then later finding the second set of keys would not work so a good point for everyone to remember when going into have this work done.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Caravan Travels

Colin

I had heard stories of people only leaving the one key with the garage and then later finding the second set of keys would not work so a good point for everyone to remember when going into have this work done.

David

42088[/snapback]

Hi David

I actually read about the second key problem on the X Trail forum yesterday and checked my spare key and sure enough the spare key now does not work.

I rang my dealer only to be told that: -

'they had just found out about this problem themselves and are planning to contact a number of customers to ask them to pop in with their spare key and have the code changed'

It sounded like a prepared line to cover up their mistake or am I too cynical. :)

Anyway it only takes about 15 minutes so it will be sorted on Monday.

Pete.

I collected my X-Trail dCI from West Way Southampton with recall work completed that included boost sensor, ecu & new intercooler.

Pleased to report car running really well, a lot smoother and feels more responsive than I can remember. They only had car for afternoon.

I was very impressed by service of West Way, although they did not supply vehicle new, they are knowledgable, helpful and polite. Colin. :D

Colin

Mine went in on Monday and had the usual plus the intercooler but aparently the Turbo was OK. Bit worried when I went to pick it up as the chap at reception could not see any parts from the store! Its was obviously that Nissan had supplied these as the one on my car is brand new. Not noticed any difference in engine yet. Mind you after putting up with a 1lt Micro for the day its easy to forget how powerful the X is!!!

David

David - Milton Keynes

Caravan Travels

Colin

Mine went in on Monday and had the usual plus the intercooler but aparently the Turbo was OK. Bit worried when I went to pick it up as the chap at reception could not see any parts from the store! Its was obviously that Nissan had supplied these as the one on my car is brand new. Not noticed any difference in engine yet. Mind you after putting up with a 1lt Micro for the day its easy to forget how powerful the X is!!!

David

42614[/snapback]

David, I was lucky, I was loaned Micra Automatic, although I only drove it 5 miles. What is it about courtesy cars? They seem to have a smell all of there own and you need the assistance of DNA scientist to report of any petrol in tank, rather than guage! Still, musn't grumble. :blink: Colin.

Hi,

Will be interesting if more mpg also, then a double win, faster and more economy :o)

Cheers

Scott

41211[/snapback]

Hi Scott

Finally got round to checking the fuel economy and there is no improvement, still comes out at about 37 mpg on short local trips. (No more than say 15 miles in distance.)

Pete.

• 2 weeks later...

We have a 05 sport and our car was done last Thursday. I have noticed a slight hesistancy when acccelerating under full power that I never noticed before.

Also our car will cover 60-80 in 6th in 10 seconds and this doesn't seem to have changed,

Bry. .. :rolleyes: