Satnav

RogerL

Are there any satnav systems which can avoid certain types of road but only on selected journeys?

With caravan in tow I would want to avoid roads narrower than 4m and hills steeper than 1 in 7 but solo I don't mind what sort of roads.

Which satnav systems can do this?

I was nearly caught out some years ago, relying on MS Autoroute, which would have sent me, with caravan, on a road with a 6' wide bridge!

I like the idea of satnav and am ready to invest but the prospect of double-checking every route on an OS map seems totally pointless.

I've learnt that Sat Nav is not the best way of fine tuning the best route for towing. I usually use mine to get me somewhere near then follow the route from the CC or C&CC guides. Got lost in a 'one way' system at Cheltenham with the 'van in tow and nobody told the nice lady in the Sat Nav the one way system.

JTS

The Garmin.

In settings you have optoin to say that your a HGV.   If that's any help. :)

40992[/snapback]

I am told that the problem is not with the Sat Nav unit (what ever the make) and its software - that can achieve anything the programmers want it to BUT with the mapping software which is mostly supplied by Navtech as that does not give width or height restrictions of roads and, until they start to include this in the mapping program, the unit can not advise you to avoid these restrictions because it does not know them.

I believe that the units that have vehicle types simply work by avoiding 'minor' roads.

This is what I was concerned about.

If the problem is the lack of detail on the mapping database, I can do better than that with a £3 road map from WH Smith, the CC Site Directory and a 50,000 OS map from the public library.

Presumably I need to wait a couple of generations of satnav before purchasing.

With SatNav you can normally tell it to avoid a certain area.

When towing, I load the route beforehand and then review it in conjunction with the site access details and sometimes the manual road map.

This enables me to set up avoid areas to force the SatNav to give me the correct route on the day. As I would have done the pre-check manually anyway, this is not much more of a chore and does avoid any worries on the day.

I do find this a lot less stressful than having to explain to the "navigator" the route I need to take and why.

If you want to do it "on the fly" you could always buy a PDA with GPS and buy Memory Map. This will enable you to load Ordnance Survey maps which will show the detail you are after. However, this software is really for walking/cycling as you would have to enter all the waypoints yourself for your trip beforehand and it does not give voice instructions.

Roger

This is what I was concerned about.

If the problem is the lack of detail on the mapping database, I can do better than that with a £3 road map from WH Smith, the CC Site Directory and a 50,000 OS map from the public library.

41008[/snapback]

This gets my vote also.

I would love to be able to feel that I could trust a Satnav and probably feel a bit left out when mates show off theirs, but being realistic must prevail especially with a large van. I would risk it with my camping trailer.

I have just bought a Philips Navigator Road Atlas 1 1/2 miles to 1 inch £20 from Waterstones.

Bulky, 380 pages of A3 but details down to paths & tracks along with most large towns/cities and main ports and is the next best thing to the 1:50 000 OS Map series I have found. (yet)

We aim to sit down before leaving with the van and write down every detail of our route.

As I find OS maps interesting I always purchase the one local to where we stay.

These along with the CC Site Directory should provide accurate fine detail of the final appraoches.

Griff.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845