screamingjack

Tv Reception In Southern Ireland

I am off to Southern Island in April, What TV reception can I expect? If I take my 60cm sat dish will In be able to receive UK channels?

Bailey Unicorn Seville

Landrover Discovery 4 2012

using standard aerial you can get rte1,rte2,tv3 tg4 think of these as bbc1,2 itv and tg4 is irish speaking only we have a dish on the house for all english channels so imagine no problem

ant

using standard aerial you can get rte1,rte2,tv3 tg4 think of these as bbc1,2 itv and tg4 is irish speaking only we have a dish on the house for all english channels so imagine no problem

Sounds about right. .my family in the Wicklows rely on Freesat for wider spread. .

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Most areas have gone over to digital, so if you take your UK digibox and run a retune it should pick up the main RoI terrestial channels, unless you are in a difficult reception area where a sat dish will be needed. The Aldi system works fine over there.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

I am off to Southern Island in April, What TV reception can I expect? If I take my 60cm sat dish will In be able to receive UK channels?

Yes.

Sorry I missed the original point about UK reception. The small Aldi/Lidl dish picks up UK channels just fine. If your anywhere near the border you should get UK terrestial with a bit of luck.

I would have to argue with Mal H. The RoI goes digital in one fell swoop (along with Ulster) on 24th October this year. From that date all analogue TV in the UK will be gone.

Oh, and for the record, whilst we all know what you mean, Digibox is actually a trademark of the Sky sat boxes.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

Freeview will not work regardless of how good the signal is, the system here is Saorview. SKY is just the same as in uk. Terrestrial is patchy with the standard caravan aerial. Can't comment on other systems.

Saorview uses MPEG4 video compression and DVB-T for both SD and HD programmes. Freeview SD uses MPEG2 compression on DVB-T for SD and MPEG4 on DVB-T2 for HD. SD Freeview receivers won't work in S. Ireland, but Freeview HD ones might.

The OP will be fine with his DSat setup for his UK viewing in S. Ireland, though.

Edited by Firestar

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

Oh right, then how come I got Irish TV reception on my UK digibox in Co Galway and Co Kilkenny last summer?

Oh right, then how come I got Irish TV reception on my UK digibox in Co Galway and Co Kilkenny last summer?

Just to clarify - I expect that you picked up the southern Irish channels, rte, tg4 etc and not UK channels? I thought the OP was asking about the UK ones. Interesting if you picked up the Irish channels as last time I was in Dublin a couple of years ago I only got sound and no picture when attempting to tune in. This would be consistent with what Firestar was saying about mpeg2/4

I got the programmes in ireland but sadly no picture .....and its pouring ! The aerial was really expensive and it's an astex tv ..dont know what is wrong ..any suggestions

Will it work if OP goes into the initial set up menu and selects Ireland rather than UK as the country?

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

14 hours ago, David 38 said:

Will it work if OP goes into the initial set up menu and selects Ireland rather than UK as the country?

No, it’s a different standard.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

2 minutes ago, IanV8 said:

No, it’s a different standard.

Ian

Yes appreciate that but I'm asking will the TV be able to work if set to Ireland as usually TV sets are sold to be able to work worldwide.

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

23 hours ago, David 38 said:

Yes appreciate that but I'm asking will the TV be able to work if set to Ireland as usually TV sets are sold to be able to work worldwide.

My Avtex did not work when we were there even if set to Ireland, looked at a digi box but they were silly money .

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.