Sat Nav Systems On The Whole

Griff

Hi,

Sorry for the new subject but my points are not pertinent to any particular system.

From my past experience being with friends whilst using Sat Nav Systems in cars & recalling just what routes & through what sorts of places they have been taken, I don't think I could ever trust one enough to not get say a 40ft long outfit into areas that might prove non negotiable.

Not such a problem with just a car.

I would really like to get one but feel that compared to route planning by large scale mapping, including O. S. maps, the risk of reaching a dead end or impassable section with a large outfit after being guided by a SNS is too great & un-nerving to say the least especially when the rest of the following traffic has piled up behind & you with nowhere to go.

OK, width of roads and tightness of turns cannot be necessarily deciphered from a large scale map but you can make sure that you keep to trunk roads and your planned route avoiding the temptation to take that short cut that your SNS might decide is a good idea.

In saying that though, how do drivers of large 40ft plus lorries plan there jouneys.

Maybe a SNS of a particular type?

Griff.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

Griff,

Your in luck! This subject has been widely debated here the last couple of months. If you havent already, have a look through the previous postings in the Sat Nav part of the board. I think everyone who has a Satnav unit here has posted a comment recently!

In the main, your ideas are correct about the satnav not taking in to account the size of what you are driving, and a couple of people here have got in to some scrapes because of that!

I mainly use the satnav solo (for about 45-55,000miles per year), and about 2,000 with the van. I certainly would not trust it, without checking a road atlas before leaving when towing. :unsure:

Could not live without it for getting to work though B)

HTH - Gaz.

P. S. You look spookily familiar from you picture, but i cant quite place you. ;)

I've just changed to a Navteq dashboard mounted system and can now choose (or avoid) motorways, minor roads etc

This helps (blushes) a lot

TomTom 5 (?) should have the same functionality

ATB

Moose

Guest Hobbybod

As Gaz points out this has been aired before, but here are a few points of 'received wisdom' that many have proffered.

Use any SAT-Nav as an AID to route planning etc. and not as a total 'replacement' for maps etc.

With a 'van on the back it is very wise to preview the SAT-Nav route in conjunction with an up-to-date paper map, especially if you are in completely unfamiliar territory. SAT-Nav maps are often more than 2 years out of date.

I had to re-route Tomtom GO in Germany when it proposed to take me along a very wiggley and steep road (seen on the paper map) to the Rhine. Just a small detour took me a much more acceptable route.

Now a word of warning if you put a 'Via' into the route, to modify the given route.

If the 'Via' is not exactly on your route (sometimes difficult to get the exact location) then TomTom reckons you've missed it and will try to send you back, even though you are on the route you want!! First time this happened (on the route to the Rhine) I wondered what on earth was happening, until I realised I hadn't quite 'visited' the 'Via'.

A few SAT-Navs do have provision for signifying what vehicle you have (e. g. Lorry, coach, etc.) and routing accordingly. But Tomtom and most of the other portable SAT-Navs don't.

There is a way round this which many use, especially abroad. Use the Major Roads of Europe maps rather than the 'street-level' country maps. Then you only get routed on the . . . eerh, major Roads!

Still keep your eye on the road signs etc. so that if on-road changes occur you can take the necessary alternative route.

Tomtom reckoned that the A28 in France was already built and tried to send me along it, even though it had not been finished and was inaccessible! Whilst on the N138 to Rouen Tomtom kept trying to get me to "in 200yds turn left,. . turn left" to get me onto the inaccessible Autoroute. Also at Rouen it wanted to direct me straight through the middle of the town: I followed the signs to Calais instead, and then Tomtom recalculated onto the signed route.

Lastly, be aware that you'll lose SAT contact in tunnels and forests and then your SAT-nav gets 'lost', even though there's supposed to be some compensating software.

I got properly 'lost' (no 'van luckily) when I had to choose a route within the tunnels around Paris. No guidance from Tomtom (he didn't know where I was) and needless to say I made the wrong choice! I had to do a "turn around when possible" when I came back into daylight, and TomTom re-routed me along the Seine through a number of Paris suburbs before finally getting onto the A16!!

Bloomin' glad I didn't have the 'van on!

However, even with all these caveats I still think it's a brilliant bit of kit, especially if you often drive without a 'humanoid' navigator!!

P. S. You look spookily familiar from you picture, but i cant quite place you.   ;)

40868[/snapback]

You're probably remembering me before the extreme makeover.

Griff.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

I've covered about 2000 miles this year with both TomTom Go 300 and caravan on the back (plus about 25000miles with TomTom without the van). Have to say (touch wood) that I have not been sent on any unsuitable routes. I always use the "fastest route" option which seems to keep you on major roads.

As others have said view sat Nav as an 'aid' and use it in conjunction with other sources of information.

I know several people who have sat nav and there is no doubt that hand held units such as Tom Tom (et al) seem to perform better than factory built in units. I have three close friends in particualr who have built in sytems by Mercedes, Nissan and Mitsubishi who all say they prefer TomTom Go.

I know several people who have sat nav and there is no doubt that hand held units such as Tom Tom (et al) seem to perform better than factory built in units.

40939[/snapback]

My boss has an Ford. .. ooops sorry Jaguar X type (black with beige interior - yuck, we call it the pimp-mobile!!)

His factory fit satnav (According to him), only allows you to program it when you are stopped (I assume as a safety feature!). OK you shouldnt be tinkering with it whilst you are moving, but how are you supposed to avoid traffic or reroute when you need to. ..

He also can't take it out and use it in a courtesy car or rental car when his is being fixed!!! :P