Pageant Series 5 Champagne

RADIOTWO

I have just bought one of these, and have a number of snags to be sorted at the dealers, but my main problem is with the electrics, namly the low voltage.

I found the low voltage lights were not working just on battery, but worked with mains on, and found the problem is with the main fuse was blown, on working out the total current of the lights only, they came to 14,5A @ 12. 5V so at a lower voltage the amps would be more, so the main fuse in the fusebox rated at 15A is poss a bit low !

Any one else come across this problem ?

Steve

Is your battery in good condition? If the 12volt lighting works when plugged into 240v, then either your battery isn't getting charged or your battery is 'on the way out'. The 12. 5 volts you mention doesn't sound right. The reading of a good battery should be considerably higher.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Is your battery in good condition?  If the 12volt lighting works when plugged into 240v, then either your battery isn't getting charged or your battery is 'on the way out'.  The 12. 5 volts you mention doesn't sound right.   The reading of a good battery should be considerably higher.

40862[/snapback]

Thanks for the reply John,

Yes the battery is in Good condition, it was onlt bought early June this year, and I think you will find the off charge voltage of any battery is 12. 5 to 12. 8V.

But the problem is down to the Fuse rating, ie the calculated current draw from just the 12v lamps is 14. 5 A and a rated fuse of 15V

Steve

Thanks for the reply John,

Yes the battery is in Good condition, it was onlt bought early June this year, and I think you will find the off charge voltage of any battery is 12. 5 to 12. 8V.

But the problem is down to the Fuse rating, ie the calculated current draw from just the 12v lamps is 14. 5 A and a rated fuse of 15V

Steve

40865[/snapback]

Sorry the last line should have read 15A not 15V

Opps

Steve

on working out the total current of the lights only, they came to 14,5A @ 12. 5V so at a lower voltage the amps would be more, so the main fuse in the fusebox rated at 15A is poss a bit low !

Steve

40860[/snapback]

This is not correct. Voltage = resistance x amps.

Thus if the voltage drops, the amps will drop in the same ratio as the resistance will remain more or less the same.

The reverse would be true if your battery charger was working and charging up to 13. 8v, thus increasing the amps. You notice this when you switch it on as the lights become brighter

Brian

This is not correct. Voltage = resistance x amps.

Thus if the voltage drops, the amps will drop in the same ratio as the resistance will remain more or less the same.

The reverse would be true if your battery charger was working and charging up to 13. 8v, thus increasing the amps. You notice this when you switch it on as the lights become brighter

Brian

40873[/snapback]

Hi Brian,

Sorry you have it wrong, The higher the voltage the lower the current !

so at 13. 8V the current for a 10watt lamp is 0. 72464A

but at 12. 0V the current for a 10w lamp is 0. 83333A

Its just a matter of Ohms law !!

Steve

Hi Brian,

Sorry you have it wrong, The higher the voltage the lower the current !

so at 13. 8V the current for a 10watt lamp is 0. 72464A

but at 12. 0V the current for a 10w lamp is  0. 83333A

Its just a matter of Ohms law !!

Steve

40886[/snapback]

Exactly, just a matter of ohms law. What you are forgetting is that the wattage will change with voltage - its the resistance that remains constant.

The wattage does reduce is you reduce voltage as can be evident by the dimming of the lights when you switch the mains charger off. On your theory the lights would brighten on reducing voltage

Brian

Exactly, just a matter of ohms law. What you are forgetting is that the wattage will change with voltage - its the resistance that remains constant.

The wattage does reduce is you reduce voltage as can be evident by the dimming of the lights when you switch the mains charger off. On your theory the lights would brighten on reducing voltage

Brian

40906[/snapback]

Brian,

I dont want to argue with you, but I am a Electrical engineer, but its not down to the Voltage etc, the reason for the post, I was asking if any one had a simular problem with there Bailey, IE with the Main fuse being 15A and the lights adding up to 14. 5A

Steve

Brian,

I dont want to argue with you, but I am a Electrical engineer, but its not down to the Voltage etc, the reason for the post, I was asking if any one had a simular problem with there Bailey, IE with the Main fuse being 15A and the lights adding up to 14. 5A

Steve

40910[/snapback]

Steve,

Do you really need to have all the lights on at the same time? If you do, you must like a very brightly lit van, so don't expect your battery to last long if you are not on a mains hookup.

I tend to agree with Brian, the higher the voltage the higher the current therefore the higher the wattage and vice versa. The lamps resistance stays more or less constant.

A few months ago I did a thread on the Bailey electrics which you might find interesting:-

. http://www. caravantalk. org. uk/forums/index. php?showtopic=3893

Bob R

Steve,

Do you really need to have all the lights on at the same time? If you do, you must like a very brightly lit van, so don't expect your battery to last long if you are not on a mains hookup.

I tend to agree with Brian, the higher the voltage the higher the current therefore the higher the wattage and vice versa. The lamps resistance stays more or less constant.

A few months ago I did a thread on the Bailey electrics which you might find interesting:-

. http://www. caravantalk. org. uk/forums/index. php?showtopic=3893

Bob R

40968[/snapback]

Ok I will put a diffrent slant on the post, Forget the Wattage, Resistance etc, but please look at your main fuse, Waht is it rated at ?

What is your output of your charger(PSU) ?

What is your rating of your fuses for your low voltage lamps ?

Ok diffrent models will be diffrent, but that is why I put the post on the furum !

just for information,

My main fuse is 15A

My PSU out put is 20A

and there are two fuses protecting the lights at 15A each

Do you get my point ?

Please check your van ?

Steve.