Discovery 4

Guest marksimonpowell

Phil,

I don't have a problem with anyone disagreeing with me, if they too put forward a reasoned point. I totally agree that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, indeed it would be very sad if we all wanted the same things.

However, what I (and no doubt others) find both pointless and pathetic, is when a random, crass statement is made, which in no way relates to a post on this forum. The OP is obviously thrilled to bits with his purchase, and there are points which follow that either sing the praises or wish them all the best. Why can't we keep it at that, or at least put forward points from personal ownership experiences? Should someone wish to then start a topic on how pretty (or otherwise) something is, then do it separately.

As you don't know anything about me, then to jump to the conclusion that you have "driven more miles in LR's than I could ever dream of" is rather silly. I too have driven vehicles in my professional capacity, and not just testing.

Let's close the book there and get back to the OP shall we?

Enjoy whatever you're allowed to get in the future.

Nigel.

1958 Morris Minor towing 2012 Hobby Landhaus

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One year on and we are absolutely thrilled with our D4 - pretty it isn't but 'by heck' it swallows a lot of gear and it is supremely comfortable AND I agree with the WHICH RATING :)

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

I am extremely jealous of the OP.

I run a D3 which I find awesome never mind a stunning D4.

When I first saw the artists impression of the D3 the first thought that came into my head - tonka toy. They got the styling bang on - anything less square and it would look too soft. It's as though a 5 year old drew it using just straight lines. I think its even more important now the split in styling between land and range rober is comIng into the dealers.

My next car - D4.

MSP - well done that man !

Bailey Approach 760SE
LandRover Defender XS

Range Rover Evoque

Hi all, we took delivery of our D4 HSE last weekend, we cant wait to get the van hooked up!

We are away in 2 weeks time, going to Broadway CC site for a long weekend, we are sooooo pleased with the Disco up to now. .....cant wait to get the van on the back!!

regards Andrew.

Range Rover Vogue, Buccaneer Cruiser, soon to be replaced with a Bessacarr Cameo 645😊

Aggggggggggh not another one !!!

Don't you dare drive near us with your new D4 and van if you're going to Broadway !!!!! Lol

We live just down the road and I may be forced to put the moonchair right in view of the new car !!!!

Nice one.

Bailey Approach 760SE
LandRover Defender XS

Range Rover Evoque

Knock Knock

Who's there?

Knock Knock

Yes I thought so! :rolleyes:

I m not knocking it I m stating a fact . The original LR was made to be used by farmers as a tractor to work on farms and developed from the US WW2 Jeep in 1948.

:)

Dave

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

I m not knocking it I m stating a fact . The original LR was made to be used by farmers as a tractor to work on farms and developed from the US WW2 Jeep.

Dave

Dave

Dave, they are very touchy these LR owners, i really can't imagine why???

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

Just keep reciting the red bit Phil, the penny will drop eventually

Why, will it tell me why you think we are all agin ya!! Lighten up a bit, its only banter.

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

I know! But you seem v easy to get a rise from

Trust me, better men than you have failed on that score,

Much as i would love to continue this, i have been ordered by SWMBO to help finish the packing, off to the USA tom for a month, i will try and keep dropping in where there is WiFi, i am doing a few of the National Parks so i may hire a 4x4 but it will be a proper one though (begins with J)

Phil.

I m not knocking it I m stating a fact . The original LR was made to be used by farmers as a tractor to work on farms and developed from the US WW2 Jeep in 1948.

Dave

Dave

That's correct my mates dad used one for his business, he transported stock to market, it made a excellent tow car for transporting his pig trailer.

My mate thought the LR was great, i thought it was a rattly bag of dung! But that was on road.

Anyway this is my show, my car is great - its mine and I love it.

Quite right, by the way did you get offered an off road experience day when you bought your car?, if you did please take it, if you have never done one i am sure you would benefit, and, you just never know who your instructor could be?

Phil.

That's correct my mates dad used one for his business, he transported stock to market, it made a excellent tow car for transporting his pig trailer.

My mate thought the LR was great, i thought it was a rattly bag of dung! But that was on road.

After the war the farmers started using The US jeeps left here after the US pulled out of the UK for their farming work . This then gave Maurice Wilks the idea to build a UK version . I have read several books on the development of the LR and find them very interesting .

LR originates from a Sewing machine company in the 1800s .

Worth reading .

http://www. landrovergeeks. com/videos/history/history-land-rover-very-beginning

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Guest marksimonpowell

Quite right, by the way did you get offered an off road experience day when you bought your car?, if you did please take it, if you have never done one i am sure you would benefit, and, you just never know who your instructor could be?

Phil.

Yeah got the off road thingy, looking forward to going on it - just not booked it as yet

How on earth anyone can say the Discovery 4 isn't stylish, is beyond me!........the car is fully loaded, sumptuous leather and wood trim, electric everything, drives as smooth as silk. .......looks the absolute dogs dangly bits!

But then again i am biassed as i have one!

They are a totally awesome vehicle. ....and i too have driven most large 4x4's, there is NO other vehicle that comes close to towing our large twin axle caravan any where near as well!

I personally put all the waffle down to jealousy!

regards Andrew (very very happy Disco 4 owner)

Range Rover Vogue, Buccaneer Cruiser, soon to be replaced with a Bessacarr Cameo 645😊

Tell you what, I towed the longest haul yet on monday with the d3, now our usual tug a nissan navara is no slouch with fantastic stability, but it isn't a patch on the disco.

The van didn't flap an inch, didn't feel the ruts on the motorway, no movement to speak off passing trucks. Supreme stability. With the remapped engine it just pulls everywhere in top.

Roll on d4 ownership.

Bailey Approach 760SE
LandRover Defender XS

Range Rover Evoque

I owned a D3 for just over a year, and tbh it did tow amazingly!! I found it very roomy and had plenty of storage. Sadly they are the only nice things I can say. Iv never owned such an unreiable car. Every month a new issue would come about, EPB sticking on even though cleaned at ever service, adviced by a dealer not to use it if I was going to leave the car unused for more than a day lol, new compressor because a £5 relay stopped working, a new alternator, egr values, bushes worn at just 50,000 miles, yes it a heavy car, but then why not get better bushes the car cost £28,000 brand new. Even an indi dealer charges £100 an hour. Never get above 24mpg (d4 is better apparently). The last straw for me was when towing and over taking a lorry, they landy decided to go into "safe mode" air suspension goes down no power in lane two over takin a hill great. For a car that costs so much money brand new and second hand tbh it was a joke. Iv gone back to german engineering. Trusted and reliable. I wish you the best of luck with your D4, i think they are mazing machines. I just wish they were reliable. Always get the dealer to repair it. Always get it serviced when it is due, and always get a warrenty check done on it!!

Rick

Abbey 215 GTS, Towed by Skoda Octavia 59 plate, 2. 0L TDI CR VRS DSG.

Andrews

" there is NO other vehicle that comes close to towing our large twin axle caravan any where near as well!"

I have to disagree, see signature.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

Guest marksimonpowell

I owned a D3 for just over a year, and tbh it did tow amazingly!! I found it very roomy and had plenty of storage. Sadly they are the only nice things I can say. Iv never owned such an unreiable car. Every month a new issue would come about, EPB sticking on even though cleaned at ever service, adviced by a dealer not to use it if I was going to leave the car unused for more than a day lol, new compressor because a £5 relay stopped working, a new alternator, egr values, bushes worn at just 50,000 miles, yes it a heavy car, but then why not get better bushes the car cost £28,000 brand new. Even an indi dealer charges £100 an hour. Never get above 24mpg (d4 is better apparently). The last straw for me was when towing and over taking a lorry, they landy decided to go into "safe mode" air suspension goes down no power in lane two over takin a hill great. For a car that costs so much money brand new and second hand tbh it was a joke. Iv gone back to german engineering. Trusted and reliable. I wish you the best of luck with your D4, i think they are mazing machines. I just wish they were reliable. Always get the dealer to repair it. Always get it serviced when it is due, and always get a warrenty check done on it!!

Rick

we are talking D4 which as i understand is slightly more reliable. .........

Andrews

" there is NO other vehicle that comes close to towing our large twin axle caravan any where near as well!"

I have to disagree, see signature.

Ian

Fair comment Ian. ........but we are talking the same stable!

regards Andrew.

Cheers Andrew.

And the D4 is getting the 8 speed auto this year, great gearbox.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

so i may hire a 4x4 but it will be a proper one though (begins with J)

Phil.

JCB ?? :rolleyes:

Land Rover having a rest.