Bailey Caravans

MPVguy

I could be looking forward to a newer (not brand new) 'van next year if things work out in my favour. The missus is quite keen about another Elddis, but it appears to me that clearly the most popular make at the mo is Bailey, and I wondered why. I don't know a lot about these - they look very nice, but the sheer numbers of them around seems to speak for itself - are they really that good, reasonably priced? From looking around dealers' forecourts I think the majority of makes of caravan differ little, as nearly all are manufactured to the same Quality Standards to meet ISO (International Standardisation Organisation) creditation. So other than layout and interior/exterior preference, what do you think makes them more popular than other brands? Or are Bailey the BMW of caravans?

Your answers could influence my decision!

With regards,

:)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think probably the answer to your question is that Bailey have been producing tourer's for many years and have always up until recently had a very very good reputation, both from the trade and customers, been a little criticism of late about various things, but personally I don't think Bailey have got worse just some of the other manufacturers have caught up a little.

I would be very biase in my answer ;)

You need to think what layout you want and what if any extras you want. Our caravan suits our needs and we are extremely pleased with the van. Once you know what you want go and have a look round. I would recommend Bailey though. You may be surprised by the different layouts you can get and so have a really good look and if necessary take a tape measure for measuring bunks as they can vary in length. Whether you want the cooker right next to the door or not will be another consideration. L shaped lounge or not. cabinet in the middle of the lounge which stays fixed at bedtime gives the impression of a larger bed but actually isnt. The list is endless and we took a few months going around with our criteria before we settled on the Bailey Provence. Some may not favour it - but for our needs and with a separate shower it suits us perfectly.

Emma

We have a Bailey 460/2. We especially wanted an end bathroom but with a Picasso 2. 0HDi weight was a consideration. We went for the Bailey as it was (at the time) the lightest end-bathroom new caravan on the market. When we looked at it closer, we found that we liked the design, the colour scheme and all it had to offer. Reports in Practical Caravan on build quality put Bailey reasonably near the top of the list and the dealer (Michael Jordan) confirmed this.

So with a van that fitted our pupose, that we liked and came with a good recommendation we looked at price. Excellent value for money.

We've had it now for 4 years and contine to be impressed. Friends have met us on holiday and they too have been impressed, one so much so that he went off and bought one himself.

Now on my 2nd Bailey, the 1st was a 2003 Ranger 500/5. At the time I was limited to a tow weight of 1300kgs so that dictated the make somewhat.

However the build qualty was 1st rate :), no problems in 18 months of any kind. The Provence, new in April has had a duff battery charger (bought in item, so can't blame Bailey for that), otherwise it's fine.

I believe for the size of the equivelant opposition, nothing touches them for the price, equipment or interior ambience. Now some people will say too common, but we can't all be wrong, can we??

One other aspect is that Mr Sheens :) looks after my van, and the dealership are very good, doing things when they say they will. They have recently taken Adria in Blackburn, as well as Avondale and Bailey, so look out the opposition dealers in the North West.

Previously had 2 Abbeys and they had appalling build quality :( .

Hope this helps

Andrew

We,re biased because we have a brilliant Bailey dealer just down the road. Nevertheless, it seems to me Bailey come out well because:

1. 6 year water ingress warranty (who else does this)

2. Fantastic aftersales by factory (hardly any criticism of Bailey in this context)

3. Value for money (not the best looking/ best equipped but cheap)

Many would say just because others buy something in their droves doesn't mean its a good product - I think the opposite :D

Hello,

Main thing would be to look at what YOU want and they layout, weight, options, design etc.

Whats makes a great van for you may not for someone else. I'm guessing most new vans would be pretty good now (I would hope).

I wouln't choose simply on what's popular, its what meets your needs, If I were you I'd get all the brochures you can visit stealers and look at the models that suit, consider the looks, build quality, layout, colours, weight, service costs, etc etc, draw up a spreadsheet with all the items you want and tick them off for each model. ..

Best part I think is looking, have fun and take your time

Scott

We have had our Bailey Arizona for a year now, bought privately secondhand when it was 18 months old. So far we have been pleased with it and no problems and it tows beautifully. We had a Mardon for 11 years and an Elddis for 4 years before getting the Bailey. I have tales of woe about these two vans which I won't go into here.

My main criticism was that Bailey did not transfer the remainder of any warranty to the new owner. Bailey have now changed their policy, any vans sold after Sept. 05 will have a transferable warranty to subsequent owners. Provided they have a Bailey dealer service record.

If you can, get a Bailey!! :):)

Bob R

I looked at a lot of caravans before I bought my Adria. I decided on an Adria for four reasons:- I liked it, longer than standard parallel seats meaning we could use them as two single beds if required, it was a little out of the ordinary, I got a good deal.

Having said that, looking at "conventional" caravans, if that's not too strong a term, the ones I was most impressed with overall were Baileys. Sure there were individual models, mostly "dealer specials" that caught my eye, but overall I thought the Baileys, particularly the Senator and Pageant ranges, were good solid caravans with a model/layout to suit most needs. Also, from this and other forums, manufacturer support of dealers seems a little better than other makes.

Following in from the post regarding Adria v Bailey.

We too were taken with the Bailey range, but opted in the end for an Adria because A. Couldn't seem to find a Discovery to look around readily. B. The Adria dealer is 15 miles down the road and C. Cracking value for money.

Although when we come to change the van, Bailey will be one of the manufacturers we would strongly consider.

Nissan X-trail 2. 2 DCi - 2005 Adria Altea 502 DK,2 well-behaved boys who I am immensely proud of!!

(Also a 1990 VW Golf Convertible, which definately does not tow anything!!!)

This post is not meant to intentionally offend anybody

Once again, Im going to be biased but I dont think you can beat the Bailey for price compared to other makes of similar layout. I have no problems with build quality or service.

HOWEVER, we are all individuals and you should carefully look around for a layout that suits you, decor and facilities that suit you, only that way will you enjoy your 'van.

Best of Luck in your search and enjoy looking - my Provence is just 12 months old but I still enjoy looking at all the new models coming on the market but not with any intention of changing just yet - looking to the future !!!!!!!!!!!

There does seem to be a thread developing here and it is one i agree with . I have a Bailey Bordeaux which i am very happy with but i have come to the conclusion that if my caravan was stolen I would consider very carefully An Adria . Both makes are well screwed together . The Adria is wider and has more room . The Bailey has better fittings IE lockers, hinges and stays etc

Coljac :)

Hello,

Main thing would be to look at what YOU want and they layout, weight, options, design etc.

Whats makes a great van for you may not for someone else. I'm guessing most new vans would be pretty good now (I would hope).

I wouln't choose simply on what's popular, its what meets your needs, If I were you I'd get all the brochures you can visit stealers and look at the models that suit, consider the looks, build quality, layout, colours, weight, service costs, etc etc, draw up a spreadsheet with all the items you want and tick them off for each model. ..

Best part I think is looking, have fun and take your time

Scott

40722[/snapback]

"visit stealers", Was this a clever malapropism or a typo? :)

Cheers

fatcol

Guest Hobbybod
. . . .  From looking around dealers' forecourts I think the majority of makes of caravan differ little, as nearly all are manufactured to the same Quality Standards to meet ISO (International Standardisation Organisation) creditation. So other than layout and interior/exterior preference, what do you think makes them more popular than other brands? Or are Bailey the BMW of caravans?

. .

40689[/snapback]

Right, as I don't even have a UK 'van, let alone a Bailey I'll put in my unbiassed? pennyworth.

Having looked at most makes of 'van, at various shows, for the past few years, it has been readily apparent to me, and others, that only one maker appeared to be making any sensible progress in terms of quality control, warranty, value for money,and service, across a wide range of models and layouts. And that was Bailey.

Seemingly this has been appreciated by many customers as indicated in the replies from Bailey owners here and in some delivery delays due to the customer demand.

Personally, if I had to buy a UK 'van (and one day I hope I'll be convinced that it is a wise choice) I'd go for Bailey.

As for being 'the BMW of caravans', I hope not, as BMW quality has taken a knock of late, but seriously, if you are talking of a combination of quality/warranty and value for money then even Bailey has some way to go, to get to the Continental makers' levels. But at least they're moving in the right direction; I remain to be convinced that other UK makers are!!

I looked at Baileys in early 2004 but personally I found the seating to be very uncomfortable, whereas the Abbeys were fine. I'm tall so this may make a difference. So far I have no regrets in my choice of an Abbey. I echo many of the other posters comments - do try and see what all the UK & Continental makers have to offer. Practical Caravan always features ALL the different makes and their Layouts.

I do hope you make the right choice - first time - cos. it's expensive if you get it wrong.

Mike

We are one our third Bailey the first one was a Bailey Scorpio Champagne,end bath room, sold it when it was 10 years old, next a new Senator Oklahoma we liked the fixed bed but could not get on with the small shower /loo, sold it, and bought a Bailey Arizona glad to know the warranty is now transferable, it was not when we sold the 18 month old Oklahoma and bought the 18 month old Arizona but we love it.

Value for money, good finish, stylish, it's very light, not in weight but in side,

We did have an Abby for 3 years but think the Baileys are best.

Carol

We took delivery of our new Bailey Ranger 550/6 last August and like others are very pleased with it. Probably one of the most important things to consider is after sales service, and Bailey seem to have this sorted. Our van has developed a hairline crack on the inside front panel, and the interior wood work has started to rub the roof damaging the lining. Neither of these are serious at the moment, but would affect our resale value when we come to sell the van. Bailey have agreed to collect our van, and carry out the repair work, probably means removing the roof. Our dealer is most surprised, and said this is the first time he has had a van repaired by the manufacturer, and any other manufacturer would have refused to correct these problems.

So we are still pleased. ..

Value for money and consistently good results in the CC quality survey.

I personally think that virtually all caravans built for the British market (whether made here or not) are poor quality - I just wish the Japanese would start building caravans, as long as the beds aren't 5' long!

Hairdresser, with regards to the warranty, afaik that only applies to new vans after september this year.

As you can see from my signature, we are Bailry owners. We are also first time caravan owners too. So we had several things to consider when we looked at vans in august 2004.

Firstly kerbweight, we needed a van that my wifes Picasso could tow. OK, so we have since changed my car to the Terrano for towing, but the Citroen can & still sometimes does, tow the 'van when we need. SO van wieght was inportant, it had to be in the region of 1170kg to be an 85% match for the Citroen.

3 berths, me, Joanne & our 5 year old. I don't think anyone makes a true 3 berth, but the side dinette layout means Josh can be put to bed leaving us the fron dinnette to laze around on in the evening.

Facilities, whatever van we bought would need to be up to the rigors of year round use & european trips.

So far nothing that most manufacturers couldn't provide, indeed we were not considering even a new van, we actually went looking at 2nd hand. This then brings us onto the subject of price. We had our budget & were prepared to spend it on a well specced second hand van. But the 2nd hand vans we liked were all within sniffing distance of a new Bailey ranger, with the warranty etc that it offered.

In fact between me & my wife we only really knew of 2 makes of van, Sprite (historical from our childhoods) and Compass, because my brother tried to sell us a ratherold & tired compass as a "starter van".

SO we chose a new Bailey Ranger based on the kerbweight, the bed layout, and equipment specifications, with an excellent price and warranty to match.

It isn't without niggles, firstly the battery charger burnt out in the first 3 months, may have been due to too many things packed close in that locker, but I am not so sure. Replaced under warranty without problem. Some of the smaller bits of interior trim have also worked loose, but easily rectified.

But with respect to these items the house I am sitting in now had faults from day one, some of which the builders refused to rectify. All of the new cars we have had have had some sort of minor faults needing repair under warranty, and some less than minor (replacement alternator on one new car within 12 months of new). So maybe I'm expecting some problems when I buy new, even with the cost of house/car/caravan, and the problems I've encountered with my Bailey are well within my level of tolerance.

And since we bought our Bailey both my brothers (vanner's for 10 years or so) have bought Bailey Pageants new because of VFM, warranty & spec, and the spooky thing is we all bought Baileys within 3 weeks of each other without communicating with each other. If that doesn't say something about the attractiveness of Bailey 'vans, I don't know what does.

Archived