Swift Challenger 550 2005

Gasman1

When checking the van to ensure it all works in preperation for our first trip I got round to the spare wheel. guess what it was impossible to remove the wheel because the tyre was trapped between chassis and carrier which eventually ended up with the van at maximun, A, frame depression to the ground.

I ended up dismantling the carrier and moving the platform nearer the nearside of the van.

Whats the use of a spare wheel if you cant use it on the roadside.

Mike

When checking the van to ensure it all works in preperation for our first trip I got round to the spare wheel. guess what it was impossible to remove the wheel because the tyre was trapped between chassis and carrier which eventually ended up with the van at maximun, A, frame depression to the ground.

I ended up dismantling the carrier and moving the platform nearer the nearside of the van.

Whats the use of a spare wheel if you cant use it on the roadside.

Mike

40508[/snapback]

Have not even tried it yet :( should do really. ..( i'll check it at the weekend).. if its like you explain i'll remove it and take it with us in the boot of the car. ..

Designers :angry:

Dave.

I fitted the Bulldog carrier to our Sterling. The design is basically the same as the Alko but the inner slide is 1/2" galvanised steel bar and is a slack fit in the outer tube so there is little chance of it rusting to the point that it is not removeable. It is greased anyway. The wheel is mounted well to the nearside,which is the correct position according to the fitting instructions. In this position apart from being easier to remove,it also counteracts some of the weight bias on the offside of the van due to refridgerator,cooker,water heater and battery.

It also only cost £30 including shipping direct from Bulldog. :)

Frank

I have a Sterling Eccles Topaz (which, as you'll know is very similar to the Challenger). I too had the spare tyre removing problem that you've been discussing.

I emailed Alko with the problem and received a very prompt and courteous reply. They know all about the problem and have issued a 'solution'.

I'm attaching the solution - you will require Powerpoint Viewer to open the file.

I haven't yet tried out their suggestion as my caravan is in store but I'll do so the first time I'm at the storage site.

Sorry - I don't seem to know how to include the Powerpoint file. Anyone who wants it please contact me and I'll send it on.

Sorry - I don't seem to know how to include the Powerpoint file. Anyone who wants it please contact me and I'll send it on.

41067[/snapback]

Hi Purplebus I have sent you a PM re: powerpoint file

Isn't it easier to access the spare wheel from the front locker rather than crawling around under the van, I thought most manuafacturers made a purpose built spot for the spare in the locker. My last Swift Challenger and mypresent Lunar have such a space.

navigator

Isn't it easier to access the spare wheel from the front locker rather than crawling around under the van, I thought most manuafacturers made a purpose built spot for the spare in the locker. My last Swift Challenger and mypresent Lunar have such a space.

navigator

41330[/snapback]

Do you check your caravan noseweight?

The majority of caravan designs have provision for a spare wheel in the front locker.

Maybe Lunar don't have a noseweight problem. Most vans when loaded with 2x6kgs propane bottles and a spare wheel are well over the drawbar limit never mind an average cars hitch limit. Your Challenger would have been well over the drawbar limit as would be most of Swift Group products if loaded with the above.

Many makes of van used to leave the manufacturers (and some maybe still do) with an inherantly high nose weight even in MIRO state.

This is presumably the reason that Swift Group are now equipping all their ranges with Al-ko carriers,instead of putting the standard spare wheel in the existing slot in the front locker.

Frank

Just to ad to the above - current Sterling models do not have a provision in the front locker for the spare wheel - they come equipped with the Al-Ko spare wheel carrier.