Clever 'safety' Jockey Wheel

Guest Hobbybod

Guest Hobbybod

Thumbing through a 2006 Caravan catalogue I came across a new 'Safety' jockey wheel they are fitting.

It incorporates a 'noseweight' gauge at the head of the J-W, just below the crank handle, and gives a reading of the load on the J-W, which will only be slightly different from that at the hitch.

Struck me as a very good, safety related idea, as you'll know the noseweight every time you load and hitch up the 'van. I just guess most of the time, based on the ease with which I can lift the hitch.

The caravan manfacturer is just fitting it to single axles 'vans at present; not difficult to work out the make!! :D

Hi All,

On most caravns the jockey wheel is set back from the towing head. On mine it is a good 12" which when you measure the down force at this point, it is considerably different to if you measure the downforce at the nose, subsiquently it will have an effect on the nose weight.

Unless the Safety Jockey wheel is calibrated to take this in to consideration the nose weight reading will be way out.

If you doubt this, put your jocket wheel on the scales and then do the correct measurement at the hitch and see the difference.

Steve

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

Unless the Safety Jockey wheel is calibrated to take this in to consideration the nose weight reading will be way out.

40482[/snapback]

I cant really see them adding such a feature unless it is 'correct' unless it is fully documented as not being 'correct', else it is completely useless. ..

Surely anything else would leave them open to 'litigation' (damn that americanism).

IMHO - Gaz

Guest Hobbybod

It incorporates a 'noseweight' gauge at the head of the J-W, just below the crank handle, and gives a reading of the load on the J-W, which will only be slightly different from that at the hitch.

40479[/snapback]

There will be a slight difference between 'noseweight' and 'J-W weight' as I indicated. (Noseweight less than J-W weight)

However, the precise amount of this difference depends on the position of the C of M of the 'van, the position of the axle, and the distances of J-W to axle and hitch to axle. In any event the difference will be fairly small, and the J-W gauge will give a good indication of sensible loading every time the 'van is hitched up.

It's a vast improvement on 'guesstimation'.

Just use a noseweight gauge or bathroom scales at the hitch and make a note of the difference between true noseweight and jockey wheel weight. Then use the built in gauge applying the correction.

Frank

Not a bad idea but the one I am waiting for is a lock on the jockey wheel to ensure that it does not wind down or shake lose when towing!

Roger

40592[/snapback]

Hi Roger,

I have never had a jockey wheel move while towing. If the notches in the tube are engaged in the fork and the wheel is raised so it is alongside the fairing, the only way it can lower is by the handle turning. With the wheel hard against the fairing it is difficult to turn the handle.

It would be interesting to know how many people have had jockey wheels lowering when correctly stowed.

Frank

It would be interesting to know how many people have had jockey wheels lowering when correctly stowed.

40631[/snapback]

I had it happen once. The clamp remained tight keeping the outer tube in the right place, but the handle must have spun round, lowering the jockey wheel.

I now wind the jockey wheel fully up, then wind another quarter to half a turn to ensure that it's good and tight.

Our jockey wheel dropped at 50 mph on a French Autoroute shortly after being "mullered" by our towball bike carrier, it was'nt funny :angry:

Fiat Rimor Europeo 69P Motorhome

Guest Hobbybod

Frank

40631[/snapback]

Well I've had it happen twice, to a J-W mounted inboard of the A-frame.

On both occasions the outer tube was still firmly clamped; it was the inner, telescopic tube which had unwound. I now make a point of really tightening the J-W crank handle to avoid, hopefully, this happening again.

I have seen folks attach elastic bungee cords to the J-W handle, presumably to prevent this.

I accepted the challenge!

I brought the van home tonight prior to getting a few night away and couldn't resist weighing the j-w, the nose, and all bits inbetween.

The nose weight right at the front of the hitch was 52kg

The weight just behind the winterhoff hitch was 56kg

The J-W (spun as far forward as possible) was 60kg,

and with the J-W (in trailing mode) it was 64kg.

Someone clever will have to do the maths.

All I need to do is look up the caravan nose weight, the tow-bar max weight, the car weights and remember to switch on the fridge in the morning. ...

I had weighed the J-W in the summer when coming back from the continent (fully loaded, as you do) and had decided that the nose weight would be more than the weight at the J-W. I need to go back to school :blink:

On heavier trailers (2500 - 3500kg) the jockey wheel handle has an "R" clip that locks the handle to the outer tube preventing it from unwinding whilst the trailer is being towed. They could put this feature on lighter caravan jockey wheels but it will add to the cost. We know how the caravan industry will not pay for improvements ( dampers for instance)

• 2 weeks later...
Not a bad idea but the one I am waiting for is a lock on the jockey wheel to ensure that it does not wind down or shake lose when towing!

Roger

40592[/snapback]

hi, my j wheel has a handel you tighten up to stop it winding down or loose its never done either, has yours ? san :unsure:

Whilst I am new to caravans I have been towing trailers behind cars, vans, lorries and even buses for about fifty years and I have never had a jockey wheel (where fitted) undo itself - but then I do rather use a bit of 'brute force' to tighten the clamp and the winder.

Had this happen twice. Probably my fault for not tightening fully, although I thought I had.

It would be very cheap and easy to do it at manufacture. All that would be required would be a locking pin.

In the mean time, if any one can come up with a hint, other than my solution of using a webbing strap, I would be interested.

Roger

Archived