Missing Flue Cowls

For the second time in three months the cowl to the top of my Monarch flue has fallen or been knocked off whilst travelling. It seems to happen when the caravan is light, i. e. when going back to or from the dealer for replacements/repairs.

Does anybody know how these are fixed to the flue?

There appears to be a ridge inside the flue for I assume some fixing. Assuming a Bailey replacement cowel is fitted, should it come off again?

Is this common? Is it a fault? Have you looked recently to check your own caravan?

As the caravan is only 10 months old and this is the second time it has happened I am expecting my dealer to replace free of charge, again, but I would like to know why it is happening so that it can be corrected.

The cowl is held on to the pipe by a screw thread. Unfortunately, it's a fine thread and made from plastic. Therefore it only takes a slight knock from an overhanging branch to dislodge it. If the thread is damaged beyond refixing, I would suggest a couple of drops of super-glue.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

The cowl is held on to the pipe by a screw thread.   Unfortunately, it's a fine thread and made from plastic.   Therefore it only takes a slight knock from an overhanging branch to dislodge it.   If the thread is damaged beyond refixing, I would suggest a couple of drops of super-glue.

40414[/snapback]

John,

Many thanks for your info. I will check this when the caravan is returned from the dealer.

Again many thanks

Hi Oldtimer,

Could you explain where the cowl is, I'm assuming its on the top of the pipe which comes out of the roof.

Thanks

Lloyd

40406[/snapback]

Hi Lloyd,

Yes, it is a flat topped unit on stalks that protects the flue pipe from rain.

Oldtimer

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

It appears that the cowel screws into the top of the pipe. The dealer has n ow renewed the unit and glued it into place.

Hopoefully this will stop us losing the cowel.