Towsure Eclipse And Breakaway Cable

candlefish

OK, I'm ignorant about lots of things. Here's another one!

We have a towsure eclipse towbar which is just the job, and we are pleased with it.

BUT it doesn't have a place to hook up the breakaway cable so we just drop it round the ball.

the eclipse towbar page

There is a place where we could fit a bolt which the non-removable towbar uses, but I was just wondering what strength of bolt would be needed? you can see what I mean if you look at the right hand picture on the towsure web-site.

Ideally I would like a reply from towsure if you're reading guys, but if not, or while I wait, I would happily take advice from all and sundry.

BTW I have e-mailed towsure about this. ............ :unsure:

I noticed on the pic on the link page that there is a small hole on the side of the towbar plate can't you put the breakaway cable hook through that ???

On second thoughts it might be a bit small :huh:

Margaret

Margaret

I don't do technical !!!

Just me and my showdogs!!

That's the hole I would like to put the bolt through. The cable won't go through.

Thanks for looking!

That's the hole I would like to put the bolt through.   The cable won't go through.

Thanks for looking!

40382[/snapback]

Why not use the existing hole to fit a shackle large enough to pass the breakaway cable end through so you can clip it back on the cable,which is the recommended method of fitting. They are available from most agricultural or hardware outlets.

http://www. mailspeedmarine. com/ProductDeta. ..roductID/101112

Frank

Why not use the existing hole to fit a shackle large enough to pass the breakaway cable end through so you can clip it back on the cable,which is the recommended method of fitting.

Frank

40393[/snapback]

It is so much easier to buy the Swedish style breakaway cable where you actually use the clip to connect the cable (you do not have to pass it through and clip it back on itself). This is a legal requirement in Sweden and is made and supplied by AL-KO and available from their dealers. Also available I believe from BPW.

It has a spring swivel clip with teeth that engage in the main loop of the clip like a climber's carabiner (spelling?) clip. So much stronger, it should be a standard fit as it will clip directly to the hole in the eclipse bracket. That's how a clip should be used.

Don't forget to pass the cable through the cable guide underneath the front of the drawbar so that it can do its job properly if the caravan parts from the car.

Even Towsure have got it wrong.

Coupling Accessories

Breakaway Cable

A legally required safety device that activates the brakes if car and caravan become separated in transit. It works by pulling the brakes on then snapping.

"It is illegal to wrap the cable around the tow ball, it has to be fitted onto an independent mounting point".

Cheers

Steve

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

It is so much easier to buy the Swedish style breakaway cable where you actually use the clip to connect the cable (you do not have to pass it through and clip it back on itself). This is a legal requirement in Sweden and is made and supplied by AL-KO and available from their dealers. Also available I believe from BPW.

It has a spring swivel clip with teeth that engage in the main loop of the clip like a climber's carabiner (spelling?) clip. So much stronger, it should be a standard fit as it will clip directly to the hole in the eclipse bracket. That's how a clip should be used.

Don't forget to pass the cable through the cable guide underneath the front of the drawbar so that it can do its job properly if the caravan parts from the car.

40394[/snapback]

You can of course buy this type of clip in larger,stronger sizes to replace the existing leaf spring type. This is my personal choice,but I still loop it back on its self. I am surprised that the leaf spring type are still used on caravans as they are not used in other applications where safety is paramount.

Frank

"It is illegal to wrap the cable around the tow ball, it has to be fitted onto an independent mounting point".

Cheers

Steve

40407[/snapback]

If it is illegal why does the caravan club show this as a possible method on its technical advice leaflets ? I'm sure they wouldn't make a basic error like that.

If it is illegal why does the caravan club show this as a possible method on its technical advice leaflets ? I'm sure they wouldn't make a basic error like that.

40418[/snapback]

The statement is directly quote from Towsures' literature on their website

I was not saying the Caravan Cub were wrong

Steve

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

I have a Witter bike rack bracket on the towbar, the breakaway cable goes through the loop on the bracket. Same idea as the D link

ZX78A.jpg

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I was not saying the Caravan Cub were wrong

Steve

40430[/snapback]

If you look at the bottom of the 2nd page of the advice sheet, it was not issued by the Caravan Club but produced by the National Caravan Council and issued on behalf of organisations shown at the bottom of page 1, so it is probably Towsure that are wrong. There is a difference between "illegal" and "unadvisable"

Brian

If you look at the bottom of the 2nd page of the advice sheet, it was not issued by the Caravan Club but produced by the National Caravan Council and issued on behalf of organisations shown at the bottom of page 1, so it is probably Towsure that are wrong. There is a difference between "illegal" and "unadvisable"

Brian

40501[/snapback]

That is what I have been saying all along.

Even Towsure who manufacture, supply and fit towbars are publishing inacurate information.

Click this link to see the Towsure website.

http://www. towsure. com/default. asp?t=5&p=0&d=28

Coupling Accessories

Breakaway Cable

A legally required safety device that activates the brakes if car and caravan become separated in transit. It works by pulling the brakes on then snapping. It is illegal to wrap the cable around the tow ball, it has to be fitted onto an independent mounting point.

B30

£2. 35

Steve

:mellow:

Thanks to everyone for your replies and input.

I will get either a bolt and nyloc nut, or a dlink shackle from somewhere, and I will go back to towsure (again) and ask them for more info.

I'll let you know what they say.

If the towsure people are reading this, why not stick a post on here and tell us where the breakaway cable should go.

Hi,

I have a towsure eclipse towbar fitted to my galaxy and had the same problem.

I renewed the standard alko cable with the flimsy hook on (which is not suitable to be hooked directly onto towbar) with a heavy duty one with a caribina type clip on.

This hooks directly through the hole on the bottom right hand side of the bracket and is designed for this purpose.

Hope this helps.

Andy

Hello, and thanks for bringing our attention to this thread.

I hope I can clarify a few points.

The information on our website is incorrect and for this we apologise. It went un-noticed as it was under a specific and longstanding product code, and normally beyond the roving eyes of those who check our site for problems and errors. The next time the website is updated it will be rectified.

It is not illegal to loop a cable around a towball, either swan-necked or flanged, but it is not ideal. We always recommend that this is not done and advise all our staff to pass this information onto customers; someone writing our website text a few years seems to have misunderstood the reasoning behind this and made the incorrect statement on the website.

The actual situation is as follows, and as set out by the SMMT (Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders Limited) in Towng and the Law:

"A breakaway cable is a cable (or chain) fitted between a braked trailer and towing vehicle, which operates the trailer brakes in the event of separation of the primary coupling. The cable applies the trailer brakes and 'breaks away', allowing a controlled separation of the vehicle and trailer.

The breakaway cable must be in good condition and attached to the towing vehicle whenever the trailer is being towed. It is advisable to connect the cable clip to a suitable eye or lug attached to the towing bracket. If the design of the eye/lug does not allow this, the cable end fitting may be passed through the eye and clipped back to the cable between the trailer coupling and the eye. In the absence of a suitable eye/lug, the cable may be wrapped around the stem of the towball and clipped back to the cable."

We apologise if people have struggled with fitting brakeaway cables

to any towbars in our eclipse range. I have contacted our production group with a view to ensuring that clear instructions are included in future literature. The current eclipse range has two small holes, through which a clip can be attached. Alternatively, a cross bolt can be inserted, onto which a clip can be installed. The only exception to this was our very early range of eclipse towbars, which were supplied by an Italian manufacturer. These did not have an attachment point for a brakeaway cable which, whilst not illegal, we realise was not preferable.

John T.

Towsure: Sheffield

jtanner@towsure. co. uk

Hi,

I have a towsure eclipse towbar fitted to my galaxy and had the same problem.

I renewed the standard alko cable with the flimsy hook on (which is not suitable to be hooked directly onto towbar) with a heavy duty one with a caribina type clip on.

This hooks directly through the hole on the bottom right hand side of the bracket and is designed for this purpose.

Hope this helps.

Andy

40734[/snapback]

Thanks John, and everyone, for your replies.

Still no actual e-mail from towsure on the topic. ...

I'm going to get a bolt, and fit it through the remaining holes on the tow-bar.

I'm assuming grade 8. 8 is good enough for this.

Then I shall pass the cable round this, and back onto itself.

One day, I might change the cable for the kind that just hook onto the car.

Cheers

David :D

Hi David,

Apologies if you haven't received a reply from Towsure, other than that from myself above. The e-mail may have been misdirected, or if it came through to someone in the vacinity of my office, they would have known I was dealing with the enquiry (I spoke at length to various members of our design and production team to ensure we provide clear instructions on this issue in the future).

A high tensile 8. 8 is fine, but please pm me your phone number and I will ask our Technical Manager to ring you personally to answer any questions you may have.

Otherwise, you can contact me direct on jtanner@towsure. co. uk

All the best.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

John T.

Thanks John, and everyone, for your replies.

Still no actual e-mail from towsure on the topic. ...

I'm going to get a bolt, and fit it through the remaining holes on the tow-bar.

I'm assuming grade 8. 8 is good enough for this.

Then I shall pass the cable round this, and back onto itself.

One day, I might change the cable for the kind that just hook onto the car.

Cheers

David :D

41363[/snapback]

Just put the spare wheel back in my wife's Fiat Punto. The tool kit contains a screw in towing eye which, I believe, would be ideal as an attachement point if thhere is a suitablr mounting point on the towbar bracket.

Mike

Archived