Directional Aerial Or Not?

LizB

I was wondering if it is worth having a directional aerial fitted to the van. The Status aerial that is as standard 'sometimes' works as long as the wind is in the right direction(only joking. ...just!.)We have gone down the road of the satellite system which is fine,but again depends on which pitch you sometimes have to end up on. I am sure that the additional length of pole which drops down in the van could be fitted in the drinks locker and the Status 'gubins' is fitted right next door in another overhead locker so the present aerial is almost in the right spot. Having said that, what happens to holes in the roof which would be left from the Status aerial fitting?Confued & undecided!!!! :huh:

How about buy a directional areial on a mast that clamps to your jockey wheel, then you have the best of both worlds.

I have bought a Freeview box and use this in conjunction with the normal Status aerial. If you are in an area that can get Freeview it vastly improves the picture and there is no mucking about trying to get the aerial (or even satellite dish) in the right position.

Roger

How about buy a directional areial on a mast that clamps to your jockey wheel, then you have the best of both worlds.

40349[/snapback]

I'm thinking of doing this, but can someone tell me how to feed the cable from the outside aerial to the TV in the van ?

Do we "Trap" it in a window, or is there a better way up from under the van ?

Your advice would be much appreciated.

- Wilky

I'm thinking of doing this, but can someone tell me how to feed the cable from the outside aerial to the TV in the van ?

Do we "Trap" it in a window, or is there a better way up from under the van ?

Your advice would be much appreciated.

- Wilky

40397[/snapback]

I fitted a coax connector in the battery box with a cut out in the bottom of the door the same as for the mains cable. The coax is connected to a coax socket where the TV sits.

Frank

I have bought a Freeview box and use this in conjunction with the normal Status aerial. If you are in an area that can get Freeview it vastly improves the picture and there is no mucking about trying to get the aerial (or even satellite dish) in the right position.

Roger

40352[/snapback]

A Freeview box will only work with a standard Status 315 aerial in VERY stong signal areas. A direction aerial is much better. I have both types and only use the Status for its VHF output for radio.

Frank

Guest Coachman

Hi All I have a Freeview Box and use a Status Aerial . Had no trouble from the I. O. W to Scarborough to Soth Devon always had a good picture. sorry I don't agree with you Frank John

Hi All      I have a Freeview Box and use a Status Aerial . Had no trouble from the I. O. W to Scarborough to Soth Devon always had a good picture. sorry I don't agree with you Frank   John

40420[/snapback]

You obviously haven't been in certain areas of the Yorkshire Dales where the standard Status 315 won't raise a whisper on digital even after replacing the original van coax with low loss. The analogue picture in these areas is also very poor. :(

Frank

I fitted a coax connector in the battery box with a cut out in the bottom of the door the same as for the mains cable. The coax is connected to a coax socket where the TV sits.

Frank

40415[/snapback]

Cheers Frank - That is the perfect solution.

- Wilky

I will stick with the normal Status and Freeview. Good enough in most instances.

I am NOT prepared to spend hours fiddling with an aerial and cetainly would not go to the bother and exhorbitant expense of satellite.

Best solution? With the lack of decent programs these days, the answer is a good book and, if you must watch TV, take tapes or DVDs.

Roger

I will stick with the normal Status and Freeview. Good enough in most instances.

I am NOT prepared to spend hours fiddling with an aerial and cetainly would not go to the bother and exhorbitant expense of satellite.

Best solution? With the lack of decent programs these days, the answer is a good book and, if you must watch TV, take tapes or DVDs.

Roger

40447[/snapback]

Cant keep up to date with Eastenders in a book :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

(did you know stacey about to spill the beans on who killed Dirty Den :blink::blink:)

Guest Coachman
I've just got one on the new van and find it great.   Now we use the freeview box a lot and the satellite system stays under the bed for emergencies now.

I think they are Brilliant ;)  ;)

40439[/snapback]

Hi Rodger I agree with you 100% John

I fitted my Status in the bin, :lol:

You can buy a cap to fit the hole, we had one in the Status bag, the one that you get when you get the caravan guarantees, instructions etc

I use a directional Arial on a post, fastened under the front leg of the caravan (you can put your arm out of the window to adjust)

the coax goes into the front locker, then through the bulkhead into the caravan, via a tv connector

very good reception for freeview etc, as Frank says even in the Yorkshire Dales :)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

careful you lot.

I read this thread to say that a certain make of aerial is not very good.   It will be moderated!!!!!

:lol:

40494[/snapback]

I moderated my aerial :rolleyes::lol:

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I am just amazed at all the efforts just to see depressing soaps etc.

On holiday, half the fun is to get away from it all!

Surely if you go on holiday abroad you don't take you telly and aerial with you. I certainly don't! Or does everyone only go to places where they can get Sky!

Roger

I am just amazed at all the efforts just to see depressing soaps etc.

On holiday, half the fun is to get away from it all!

Surely if you go on holiday abroad you don't take you telly and aerial with you. I certainly don't! Or does everyone only go to places where they can get Sky!

Roger

40593[/snapback]

No, when I go abroad (without the caravan) I don't take a telly or aerial, but I have got a recorder at home with a hard drive to record all the soaps to watch when I get home.

As for the F1 GP I find a pub to watch it when abroad.

If I travel with the caravan in this country or overseas I check before I pitch that I can get a sat signal ie no trees in the way.

There's no way I could miss QVC on a Sunday morning, in bed with breakfast !!!!!

If I travel with the caravan in this country or overseas I check before I pitch that I can get a sat signal ie no trees in the way.

There's no way I could miss QVC on a Sunday morning, in bed with breakfast !!!!!

40595[/snapback]

Well that's written off half the pitches on a lot of sites in the UK! GOOD - All the more selection for me! :D

Last site we had a marvellous pitch in the trees with just the Status aerial and Freeview box. 'er in doors had a marvellous picture to watch her soaps without any fiddling around with aerials or satellite dishes.

If I had my way, we would have no telly or papers. Just great scenery to look at and a few good books to read. That's relaxation. I can certainly find better things to do with my Sunday mornings! :rolleyes:

Roger

Well that's written off half the pitches on a lot of sites in the UK! GOOD - All the more selection for me! :D

Last site we had a marvellous pitch in the trees with just the Status aerial and Freeview box. 'er in doors had a marvellous picture to watch her soaps without any fiddling around with aerials or satellite dishes.

If I had my way, we would have no telly or papers. Just great scenery to look at and a few good books to read. That's relaxation. I can certainly find better things to do with my Sunday mornings! :rolleyes:

Roger

40613[/snapback]

I usually put up the sat dish where I can cos it's quicker (by the way, I only have the free view channels in the caravan). I have a directional aerial on a pole which takes a while to erect then the time for the TV, recorder and free view to tune which can take 10 minutes in all, setting up the dish takes about 5!!!

So I can go on any pitch if I need to, I must admit I prefer the open ones they always seem brighter.

So if a see someone sitting in the shade reading a book it could be you :D I cant agree with you about reading being relaxing, I think reading books in the company of other people is unsociable. Far better to watch TV together

Back to the original discussion, our caravan has a directional status, which is also useless, hence why I use an aerial on a pole on the jockey wheel if need be.

Guest Hobbybod

Well folks, there are good physical reasons why a directional, (more elements the better) is always superior to an omnidirectional aerial, whatever the make.

For the Freeview boxes to work optimally you do need the best signal you can get and this means a directional aerial. {Freeview never worked properly at mother's house, even with a 18 element directional aerial}.

The received wisdom on, eerh, . . . . the status, of what is a decent make of aerial has generally been that one make is in 'chocolate fireguard' territory!! :D

The big advantage of Sat-TV over 'terrestial' reception, apart from quality of reception, is that it doesn't need tuning in to different stations every time you move to a different area and the dish (aerial) always points in the same direction.