Sign in to follow this  
Thingy

Ordnance Survey - A Good Idea.

For those of you familiar with OS maps, if like me, you continually find that you need two or three different maps because of the OS grids, Ordnance Survey will now allow you to customise your map centering on a given point.

For example, to cover Dartmoor, or the Peak district, three and sometimes four maps are necessary to cover the whole area, with the maps joining in the centre, but a map centred on for example Princetown on Dartmoor would cover pretty much everything you need.

There is a big advert on Page 34/35 of this months C&CC mag, but for those not members, you can get a 10% discount on a map by quoting CC110SCM at

www. shop. ordnancesurveyleisure. co. uk

Hi . ... I get all my O. S. maps from here . ..... https://www. dash4it. co. uk/store/index. php . ... much cheaper and free first class delivery . .... nice people to deal with . ... Cheers Pete

Edited by Pierre19

Hi . ... I get all my O. S. maps from here . ..... https://www. dash4it. ...store/index. php . ... much cheaper and free first class delivery . .... nice people to deal with . ... Cheers Pete

Aye, but will they customize a map for you centred on any point you choose. :)

My holiday venues are generally to be found on the borders or corners of os maps.

I dont think I have ever stayed in the middle of a map. Maybe I should arrange my Jollies by sticking a pin in the centre of my maps.

Its nice to buy maps for the surrounding areas but expensive these days. Conveniently my library stocks OS maps and I make good use of them.

My holiday venues are generally to be found on the borders or corners of os maps.

Too true, which is what is appealing to me about this idea.

That is a brilliant idea and they do them in two scales - definitely will look at that for the next UK trip.

You can view (and then print) an ordnance survey map from http://www. bing. com/maps/ . Just change the view from Road to Ordnance Survey. You may have to adjust the zoom accordingly. We usually do this to print a map of a walk we want to do, but you may still want a full map.

You can view (and then print) an ordnance survey map from http://www. bing. com/maps/ .

Thanks for the heads up! I have just tried it and it works very well. :)

I have Memory Map on the computer and an A3 printer. I just print off what I need :)

I have Memory Map on the computer and an A3 printer. I just print off what I need :)

Can you expand a bit on Memory Map as our walking group are looking at purchasing them.

Not sure where to buy and how they work but understand you can plan a walk and it shows the actual distance.

Thanks

You can view (and then print) an ordnance survey map from http://www. bing. com/maps/ . Just change the view from Road to Ordnance Survey. You may have to adjust the zoom accordingly. We usually do this to print a map of a walk we want to do, but you may still want a full map.

Thanks to you and Thingy for a couple of useful links.

Just got up a local map but when I tried to print the print preview showed only a small piece of the map.

Is that how it works or am I doing something wrong ?

Good idea. I have a growing collection of them and are up to about 20 or so at least.

Slightly off topic I wonder if anyone else spends ages looking at them and picturing the place in your mind. I sort of set out the place in my mind with say a railway bank or cutting, hill and forest edge etc.

Have you seen the new OS headquarters! Huge place on edge of Southampton. The old office was really smart (went to a seminar there) but they got an even nicer office. Seem to be doing well for themselves. Lots of on line maps that they get a cut from i guess.

With Memory Map that has been mentioned, you have the ability to see the map from a 3D perspective. Gives you a good idea of how difficult or strenuous a walk might be.

Just got up a local map but when I tried to print the print preview showed only a small piece of the map.

Is that how it works or am I doing something wrong ?

I've just tries several times on where I live just as an example, zooming in then out and the preview print page shows a box where you can enter comments (which will be printed on the map page) a small box showing the overview, then, most importantly, the main area of the page shows the map at whatever scale I have chosen.

I've just tries several times on where I live just as an example, zooming in then out and the preview print page shows a box where you can enter comments (which will be printed on the map page) a small box showing the overview, then, most importantly, the main area of the page shows the map at whatever scale I have chosen.

Thank you for that.

Can you expand a bit on Memory Map as our walking group are looking at purchasing them.

Not sure where to buy and how they work but understand you can plan a walk and it shows the actual distance.

Thanks

http://www. memory-map. co. uk/

Same here ;)

This has been available from OS retailers for years, but has always been an expensive option, it was usualy cheaper to buy the maps you wanted for the area you were visiting.

This has been available from OS retailers for years, but has always been an expensive option, it was usualy cheaper to buy the maps you wanted for the area you were visiting.

At £17 a time, I agree with Gordon. I'd rather buy three Explorer maps from Dash4it at £5. 19 each, or four Landranger maps at £4. 54 each, which will cover a greater area, allow me to read (yes, read, visualize and explore. ..) the maps in bed. In any case, a map centred on a site will be of little use next time you visit the adjoining area, the new site will need another £17 map centred on that site.

In any case, a map centred on a site will be of little use next time you visit the adjoining area, the new site will need another £17 map centred on that site.

That would depend on the map itself. Many of the OS maps cover a part of walking territory and parts of Urban Sprawl. I for one have no intention of walking round an industrial estate with my Bergen on my back :lol: . If you use an area with many different walks in a small footprint, its ideal.

I use Harveys maps for specific National trails. They cover only the immediate area you want;And thus save on buying lots of OS maps. Worth a look if your walking a long trail. www. harveymaps. co. uk

The Bing maps is not a bad idea, but you don't get a full A4 page. Has anyone got the discount codes to work, as for me it takes nothing off the full price.

Good idea. I have a growing collection of them and are up to about 20 or so at least.

Slightly off topic I wonder if anyone else spends ages looking at them and picturing the place in your mind. I sort of set out the place in my mind with say a railway bank or cutting, hill and forest edge etc.

Have you seen the new OS headquarters! Huge place on edge of Southampton. The old office was really smart (went to a seminar there) but they got an even nicer office. Seem to be doing well for themselves. Lots of on line maps that they get a cut from i guess.

I seem to be collecting them too. I must have about 30 now ! And yes I too spend hours looking at them. I love 'em ! :)

Slightly off topic but we use Outdoors GB App on the I phone. Screen shows proper Ordnance survey maps and where you are e. t. c. It has worked faultlessly every time for us and it does not go all soggy in the rain.

The only downside with electronic devices is they can fail I always carry the good old fashioned map as a back-up

Sign in to follow this