How To Reverse Into A Tree!

Hodkys

Hello folks,

Went to collect the caravan on Friday after its 1st Service. When I got home, there was a removal van parked opposite my drive. They moved their van into the turning circle, and I duly unhitched the caravan and put it on the drive.

With nowhere to go, I decided to reverse the car onto the grass verge outside our house.

At this point it all goes horribly wrong. .

1) Parking sensors turned off since reversing caravan moments earlier;

2) Minimal visibility with caravan mirrors still attached

. ..and straight into the tree on the grass verge.

I wasn't reversing fast, but I feel a prize pr*t. Car off to be fixed, and the 7 seater Galaxy replaced with a temporary 2 door Micra!

Cheers

The Hodkys.

. ..I wasn't reversing fast, but I feel a prize pr*t.   Car off to be fixed, and the 7 seater Galaxy replaced with a temporary 2 door Micra!

40292[/snapback]

Sorry to hear about the prang, maybe it's a good idea not to have a switch to turn the parking sensors off. I just put up with the beeping when reversing the van (although we do use the motor mover a lot).

Yossa

Hi Guys,

I have a Thread under TOP TIPS which discussed an automatic device to disconnect the sensors.

See http://www. caravantalk. org. uk/forums/index. ..?showtopic=5979

Cheers

Steve

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

Hello,

I've nearly done the same, I get so use to the sensors when reversing up to garage I have to admit I hardly look. ..just wait for beeps.

Recently jumped in wifes car to reverse up to garage, without the seat belt on it beeps away. ...there was me thinking its the parking sensors. ...and . ....nearly backed straight into the closed doors !!!

Never had a car before with the sensors but do think they are great, have to admit I turn them off if reversing van as it becomes annoying.

Hope you get it sorted and don't need to carry 7 people to soon :)

Scott

My car came with factory fitted sensors that do not turn off automatically.

I spoke to Mitsubishi who say they recommend fitting a manual switch in the rear load area to switch off the power to the sensors.

Having looked on the internet I came across a device called a "Fog Light Cut off Relay". It is a relay with a small piece of circuitry built in that senses when the trailer Fog lights are connected and cuts off the car fog lights to prevent glare.

This same piece of kit if fitted between the reversing light feed to the reverse park sensor and the feed to PIN 1 (caravan reversing light) on the 12S socket has the same effect. When the 12S socket is connected it senses the caravans reversing lights and cuts the power to the reverse park sensors. Disconnect the caravan and the sensors work again.

Cost £5. 00 plus 30 minutes of my time.

The company who supplied the device is called PCT Automotive in Sheffield who can be contacted on 0845 1231111.

If you want to e-mail me I can supply you with a modified wiring diagram specific for use with the reverse park sensors.

p. s. I have no connection with PCT other than it is near to where I live.

Hope this is of use to you.

Cheers

Steve

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

EASY SORTED

GET A CHAIN SAW

CUT DOWN TREE

40728[/snapback]

Depends on whether the tree stops you hitting something larger and harder :blink:

I managed to reverse my new (only a couple of k's on the clock) company car into a concrete mushroom shaped seat in a school carpark. Couldn't see the blighter out of any of my mirrors or over my shoulder, and it was perfectly camoflaged against a concrete wall.

Felt an utter muppet, but luckily no one was looking. .. Except for the people watching me rehang my exhaust back on later in a sainsbury car park that is. ..

Archived