Any Kayakers ?

Madrunner

I tried to join a kayak club this week but unfortunately the local clubs meet on the two nights we have fixed commitments :( Wanting to get sit on kayaks as we go to beach campsite :)

We had the same problem and we joined the Canoe Club anyway online, this gave us loads of info also includes liability insurance, just imagine if you injure a swimmer when your having fun paddling on the beach, plus it gives you a licence to paddle British Waterways (canals, rivers and I think some lakes) They also offer you canoe insurance for damage and theft of your kayak.

It maybe worth surfing the net for instructional videos, sounds daft but you do get some good advice. After we bought our kayaks we self taught ourselves on lakes to start with (Rudyard Lake) after that we moved on to estuaries and always took local advice and launched at the right spot on the right tides.

Their is nothing stopping you having a bit of beach fun (even though its harder than it looks to ride waves) with lifeguards in sight, wearing a head protection, buoyancy aid, out of the way of swimmers, in shallow water and able to swim ashore. Remember always respect your limitations on the water and don't chance anything, like I've said before if in doubt don't go out.

You can also book guided canoe day trips around the country for experience, such has Fowey in Cornwall, river Dart, Kingsbridge Salcombe Estuary, river Wye and try before you buy. You cant beat being on the water with the wild life and tranquillity of some waters, its great ant-stress therapy and healthy. (as long as you don't drown).

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sir Steve Redgrave pulls out of Devizes to London canoe race

http://www. bbc. co. uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-17649561

Always wanted to have a go at this but never got the opportunity. Glad I did not seeing this.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Four Star, thanks for such a helpful post. I've found a centre who will give us lessons on another day :) I have a very healthy respect for water and don't want to cause a hazard to us/others by well-intentioned but potentially daft actions :) Got a decent secondhand sit on top and hoping to get another. ..my phone has died with chaps details on it, so can get him when I get home.

Benand fiona, would love to get up to some of the Lochs, had my first wee boat when I was 8 on Loch Lomond :)

Lefthanddown. ...scary race. ..look how squished the guy in front looks!

What ?? That's absurd !!!!

I nearly bought a kayak from Aviemore and to have it couriered to the Cotswolds was £75.

Try parcel monkey - they usually give sensible quotes with the top courier firms.

Bailey Approach 760SE
LandRover Defender XS

Range Rover Evoque

Thanks for that. I went on Shipley and got a quote for £280 and one for £180. ..scary!!! An ebay courier advertises at under £50 then emails to say van too short (Kayak is under 12 feet) so will be £660!!

Not to many years ago a company in Scotland would collect a Landrover Defender take it to Scotland on a trailer from EMid. Fit a NEW rolling chassis and bring it back for £1000 all in.

I got a quote but had to call it off because of illness in the family.

£660 I have a good mind to start up in the courier trade. B)

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Best thing we ever did after moving to Dumfries & Galloway was to buy 2 ocean going Prowlers(single person sit on) all set up for sea fishing! There is nothing nicer than pushing off the beach paddling off for about 1/4 - 1/2 a mile & then just sitting there fishing away. Sometimes we catch lots of free food t'other times nowt! It really doesn't matter it's lovely being out on the water.

Now & again we take a picnic & paddle up or down the coast to another bay, great & the things you see when out of the water is amazing. Seals, gannets & miles out bumble bees?? All our gear is attached to the kayaks by leash so if there is a problem we don't loose oars or rods, we also take the folded down wheels in case we have to get ashore somewhere.

So far we've not got roof bars to take them with us when go away, but to be honest I don't think we'd use them much & I'd be worried about stuff going walkies!

Fanatstic fun, highly recommend it but make sure you have life vests, mobile phone & if you only use one leash make sure it's to your oar so you can always get home! It always causes lots of amusement when we get 'phone calls from folks wanting to book our B&B when we tell them we can't get to the diary right now 'cos we're out at sea fishing!

Try it if you get the chance!

MumnTed

Me, Him + Ted the terrier.
Senator Louisiana S6 with Truma TE + Range Rover Vogue 05

Started canoeing in 1964 when I was given my first canoe. During the sixties, seventies and eighties spent a great deal of time training for and taking part in slalom competitions. Have paddled on rivers all over Europe. During the last 10 years mountain biking has gradually taken over from canoeing and back in January I sold my slalom boat that I had since the early eighties. I still have a very ancient slalom boat from the seventies and a plastic kayak.

As my son says mountain biking is exciting and great fun but nothing compares to taking a canoe down a grade 4/5 rapid!

The photo is me on the Town Falls, Llangollen.

VW Tiguan R Line Tech and Swift Challenger 480 SE

• 2 weeks later...

I am a keen canoeist, and I have a 13' Royalex Canoki

6265523415_8a7c4343d1.jpg

a 16' Huron cedar stripper

7026114253_286e7be3af.jpg

and a rare historical kayak which was part of a team of 5 kayaks which were used in the 1966 Japan Inland Sea expedition sponsored by National Geographic Magazine and Senator Robert F Kennedy - this is my current restoration project after 40 years of missuse and abuse by the Sea Cadets!

6975657251_a16f931e99.jpg

I have just bought an ABI Dalesman 380/2 so I can explore rivers, lakes and lochs further afield in Scotland and Europe - and contrary to most on here I LOVE rain as it fills the rivers and makes them bumpy!

White Water. ........... What fun you can have.

I had a friend who was in Scotland and was coming down a Burn in full flow and found himself thrown onto the bank by the torrent.

He had broken his glasses and only now had only half a paddle. There was only one direction he could go. He plunged back in and was flushed out into the Loch below.

He shortly after had contact lenses fitted.

Last I heard of him he was Hang gliding over India.

Good luck in your explorations. Excellent Photographs.

Motto . ...........Bumpy rivers need Contact Lenses and a sense of adventure.

I am a keen canoeist, and I have a 13' Royalex Canoki 6265523415_8a7c4343d1.jpg a 16' Huron cedar stripper 7026114253_286e7be3af.jpg and a rare historical kayak which was part of a team of 5 kayaks which were used in the 1966 Japan Inland Sea expedition sponsored by National Geographic Magazine and Senator Robert F Kennedy - this is my current restoration project after 40 years of missuse and abuse by the Sea Cadets! 6975657251_a16f931e99.jpg I have just bought an ABI Dalesman 380/2 so I can explore rivers, lakes and lochs further afield in Scotland and Europe - and contrary to most on here I LOVE rain as it fills the rivers and makes them bumpy!

We love our Wilderness Systems Kayaks, but these craft you have restored look fabulous.

Well done !

I am a keen canoeist, and I have a 13' Royalex Canoki

6265523415_8a7c4343d1.jpg

a 16' Huron cedar stripper

7026114253_286e7be3af.jpg

and a rare historical kayak which was part of a team of 5 kayaks which were used in the 1966 Japan Inland Sea expedition sponsored by National Geographic Magazine and Senator Robert F Kennedy - this is my current restoration project after 40 years of missuse and abuse by the Sea Cadets!

6975657251_a16f931e99.jpg

I have just bought an ABI Dalesman 380/2 so I can explore rivers, lakes and lochs further afield in Scotland and Europe - and contrary to most on here I LOVE rain as it fills the rivers and makes them bumpy!

A really nice collection. I'm sure there are number of classic canoes and kayaks to be found at scout and cadet huts around the country. A local scout troop near me had an battered, classic slalom kayak from the early sixties. When I got round to asking them if I could buy it from them theyinformed me they had thrown it away!!

VW Tiguan R Line Tech and Swift Challenger 480 SE

I am a BCU level 2 coach, I have been kayaking for over 20 years. I am in the process of planning to paddle the river Thames from Lechlade to Teddington lock (117 miles) over 6 days in July from 28th to 5th August.

I found an outstanding Wooden Canadian canoe in a cellar and it had been left on its side against a wall.

As a result of this it had twisted totally out of shape and would have gone round in circles if it had been put in the water.

Such a shame. The side had gone almost flat under its own weight. Often wonder if it ever got restored or even it it is still there.

Just wanted to tell you about this amazing venture of Martin Lee - what courage -I hope he raises lots & lots of money!

http://www. martinkayaking. co. uk/#!

MumnTed

Me, Him + Ted the terrier.
Senator Louisiana S6 with Truma TE + Range Rover Vogue 05

• 1 month later...

Are there any places in Cornwall that you guys know of that hire these things out for the day? Always best to try before you buy.

These things being the sit on type for around the bay etc.

Everybody knows how to raise children, except the people who have them. P. J. O'Rourke

Volvo XC70 D5 AWD SE (2011MY)/Swift Charisma Celebration 2010

<p>

Are there any places in Cornwall that you guys know of that hire these things out for the day? Always best to try before you buy. These things being the sit on type for around the bay etc.

There are centres in Fowey and Falmouth that do tours down the estuary. but I’m sure most kayaks for hire in Cornwall are adventure group type sit in kayaks and Canadian Canoes.

If your near to Devon they rent sit on tops on Blackpool Sands (Venus Cafe) in a sheltered bay and around the coast near Hope Cove and you can have kayak lessons in Kingsbridge / Salcombe estuary.

Edited by Gaz40

• 4 weeks later...

After being taken out by fellow 'van owners a few weeks ago, we've plumped for an inflatable 'yak. We want some fun and exposure for the kids before going down the plastic 'yak route (storage is easier).

Much research and we've chosen a Z-Pro Tanga 300 (thanks to Brookbank of Perth). Tessie has had one outing close to the coast, and could well have one tomorrow.

We've not had any instruction, but are respecting the sea by staying close to the shore, and staying out when the swells are big. Yes, I respect the views of others that this is a foolish approach, the challenge is the cost of instruction versus some experience before committing more money. We are strong swimmers and all wear PBAs.

Anyway the photos are from Croy beach, Ayrshire looking towards the Isle of Arran.

7577556954_3f6b1d288b_z.jpg

7577566876_4e138a10e5.jpg

Volvo XC70 2. 4D Volvo V50 2. 0D, Bailey Ranger 540/6 500/5 and two (getting) helpful kids

I joined a local club at the swimming pool after years of not kayaking - did not cost much and went on the canal with the kids at first until we were all confident :)

Looks great though :D

• 2 weeks later...

The inflatable kayak didnt work for us (too old/stiff/ bad hips) so have been building a lightweight row boat (for Broads and river use only), nearly finished, hope to use it when we finally get to Beccles (Was nearly under water when we had booked previously, remember the rains)

It will go on the roof bars, only weighs 25Kg so far, probably will be nearer 30kg when complete, so will be able to slide it on/off bars from rear of car with protector on tailgate.

post-33391-0-96113400-1343517274_thumb.jpg

2. 0Lt Ford Mondeo Titanium X 130PS (metric hp) TDCI Auto Estate. .... Freeman 23 Broads Cruiser !

• 4 months later...

I canoe but not as often as I used to as having a 4 year old puts a stop to it normally white water I have an ageing dancer xl which I bought new in 1996

2004 land rover discovery 2 td5 with a 2008 twin wheel compass rallye 636

We've not had any instruction, but are respecting the sea by staying close to the shore, and staying out when the swells are big. Yes, I respect the views of others that this is a foolish approach. We are strong swimmers and all wear PBAs.

In the sea I would feel safer with a proper life jacket. A personal buoyancy aid is OK but will not support anyone if they become incapacitated. Having seen a person's life saved because the life jacket kept their face out of the water I was convinced easily.

I hope you have also carried out capsize drills to make sure your trip is safer. This is the very first thing every new canoeist should do. It's no good leaving this until it's done in an emergency situation.

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.