Sky Satellite Problems

Yossa

Watching Sky in the van this weekend and had a problem.

When I changed channel, the banner wouldn't disappear. The Grundig digi box (which is about six years old) then wouldn't respond to the remote control. I unplugged the digi box to re-set it, waited a few minutes and switched it back on.

Now I can't pick up any channels through the digi box. The box has all the lights on at the front of the box (left to right: amber-green-red-green) and there's a whirring noise coming from inside the box.

I know that some of our members are pretty clued up on this type of thing so any help would be appreciated.

Yossa

Sorry to hear of your problem Yossa.

The TV guide button on our remote control has nearly stopped functioning.

Has anyone got a spare one to sell, or one that still works but your digibox has packed up.

We have an Amstrad box, I think that the remotes are universal.

Thanks for all the replies. I have now switched to our spare digi box and all seems to be working OK.

Guess that I have to invest a new box to act as a spare.

Yossa

Sorry to hear of your problem Yossa.

The TV guide button on our remote control has nearly stopped functioning.

Has anyone got a spare one to sell, or one that still works but your digibox has packed up.

We have an Amstrad box, I think that the remotes are universal.

40431[/snapback]

i bought my one from asda think it was about £12

Our Sky Digibox started to play up ("No Satellite Signal is being received" messages intermittently) so, after attempting to contact the technical support team and being on hold for over an hour, we phoned to cancel our subscription and told them why.

'As a valued customer', they sent an engineer out with a new box, a new LNB and a dish alignment FOC and with no tie-ins.

It's working fine now :)

Our Sky Digibox started to play up ("No Satellite Signal is being received" messages intermittently) so, after attempting to contact the technical support team and being on hold for over an hour, we phoned to cancel our subscription and told them why.

'As a valued customer', they sent an engineer out with a new box, a new LNB and a dish alignment FOC and with no tie-ins.

It's working fine now :)

40560[/snapback]

Thats interesting to know and thanks very much fro the post, think that I will give it a whirl!

Yossa

Thats interesting to know and thanks very much fro the post, think that I will give it a whirl!

Yossa

40581[/snapback]

Gave it a whirl and the Sky engineer is coming this Friday complete with new digi box and one years warranty! RESULT!

Thanks again to Mr Grumpy!

Yossa

Sorry I missed this but I have been away for the week working. .

Be aware that the Sky box is likely to be pre owned or "b" grade. Sky swop so many boxes it would cost them zillions if they issued new boxes!

For reference. ..

The new software in Sky+ boxes is killing lots of boxes. Our Pace at work died & about a dozen customers this week have reported problems since the new software was issued.

Mal

DON'T FORGET if you need to buy audio/video Especially SAT gear please check out our sponsor to this section, what do you say Malt.

www. smallworld. uk. com   

Pete.

40843[/snapback]

I have heard they are very good, knowledgable, competitive on price & extremly modest :rolleyes:

Mal

Be aware that the Sky box is likely to be pre owned or "b" grade. Sky swop so many boxes it would cost them zillions if they issued new boxes!

Mal

40811[/snapback]

Brand new Amstrad digi box now installed by engineer. The box is a lot faster than the old one and was supplied FOC!

Yossa

Lucky man. ..

Did the Sky engineer drag his hands on the ground as he came up the drive?

The new boxes are a lost faster but the Amstrads are still not the most reliable. The extended warrenty option is a little expensive when you buy a new Sky + box for £199.

Regards

Mal

I got a refurbished Panasonic.

It's definitely faster than the 5 year old Pace I had before, and given that the other was broken and the replacement was FOC I'm definitely onto a winner!

And the engineer was actually very good. He was polite, took care in the house and he replaced the LNB too.

I got a refurbished Panasonic.

It's definitely faster than the 5 year old Pace I had before, and given that the other was broken and the replacement was FOC I'm definitely onto a winner!

And the engineer was actually very good. He was polite, took care in the house and he replaced the LNB too.

41438[/snapback]

I forgot to mention that the engineer that came to the house also replaced the LNB. As for taking care in the house, he actually put small elasticated bags on over his shoes so as to protect the carpets!

Yossa

• 3 weeks later...

Just had an Oystor Caro Automatic Sat dish fitted to my caravan. Makes life a lot easier to tune into SKY and the picture is 100% like being at home.

The dish itself is 50cm diamond shape and automatically folds down to about 13 cm from the top of the van (half the size of the ***** UFO T. V aerial I got with the van).

Anyone else got one fitted or similar?

Just had an Oystor Caro Automatic Sat dish fitted to my caravan. Makes life a lot easier to tune into SKY and the picture is 100% like being at home.

The dish itself is 50cm diamond shape and automatically folds down to about 13 cm from the top of the van (half the size of the ***** UFO T. V aerial I got with the van).

For those that don't know, ITV went free to air on 01/11/05 so can now be received on the cheaper Lidl type of digital Sat. receiver without a card.

I terminated my Sky contract on 31/10/05.

43075[/snapback]

Still need a card for Channel 4 & 5 at the moment, so don't rush to Lidl yet if you want to watch either channel.

Mal

Just had an Oystor Caro Automatic Sat dish fitted to my caravan.   Makes life a lot easier to tune into SKY and the picture is 100% like being at home.

43058[/snapback]

Don't have one but suddenly feel the need - where can I get one and how much can I expect to pay? Are standard caravan roofs strong enough?

I like to shop around for the best deal. It has took me 2 months to find the best price inc fitting. I used a very well known company in the Midlands called http://www. conrad-anderson. co. uk/ (don’t let the web site put you off).

The came to Blackpool and fitted it on the storage site were I keep it. The price I got from them was £1,635 fitted at me convenience were I wanted it.

I thought to myself, will the roof be strong enough? When he told me that there usually is to of them on the caravan roof at the same time fitting them at there garage in the midlands I thought at 14Kgs the dish is no problem.

Caravans are build very strong nowadays so don’t worry.

The dish itself is 50cm wide and is in a diamond shape. It automatically folds up and down with the press of a button and folds down when you hitch up. To automatically tune into any satellite you like you simply press a button. You even get a map of Europe on the remote with area buttons. Simply press the button area your in like France or Germany or Spain and the dish finds SKY and your back in the UK T. V wise. The dish is fantastic, I would say apart from my motor mover (which I need as I use a wheelchair) this dish is the best thing I have on the caravan. A bit price but if you use your caravan a lot then you will class this as a top investment. I will be off in the caravan next weekend so will be putting up a link to a web page full of pictures soon.