Twin Wheel Mover

james b

just picked up our new ace equerryfrom norwich caravans lovely van. we had a mover fitted to it by powertouch as we had one from them before on our avante 505 single axle. which was brilliant. the mover was fitted on the front wheels as the spare wheel is in the way on the back . when manouvering backwards to put it in our caravan store which is on an incline and on a gravelly surface the caravan came to a halt and the wheels started to spin we went forward and tried again but the same happened then we layed a couple of boards down and it went up ok . i guess it was to much going up a slight incline on a loose surface. we never had this problem on our other van . any body else had similar problems and tips on how to over come them.

Not much help here but, I know of someone who had a Twin Axle with the drive units on the rear wheels who had an upward sloping drive with a level area at the top. Had no option but to approach his drive backwards.

When the van reached the top, the rear wheels would clear the slope, the wheels would then rotate but had lost their grip. Van would not move further.

This apparently can be one of the problems, under certain conditions, when driving only 2 wheels on a 4 wheel unit.

Additionally he found that when moving across a field which say may have had a depression across it, as the drive wheels reached it, grip could be lost again depending on which direction he was travelling.

I believe he changed to the Reich 4 wheel drive model which overcame all such problems.(apparently).

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

Just had mine changed over from a single to twin axle with excellent assistance from Powertouch (everything was new and I didn't get robbed either) and my twin axled van climbs a sheepish gradient on my drive (would have been a massive problem if it hadn't) with no problem.

Now my single axled van occasionally did have the mover slip moving up the drive (no probs though as we could turn the van in the drive being shorter and tow it out) but I was told it was the tyres hard compound that Swift/Ace fit/use that allowed this to happen.

Try lowering the front of the van to take weight off the rear wheels and adding t the front wheels. Not sure this will work, as I don't have a mover but its worth a try. When we push our van into our garden I wind the front of van up to ease turning, and it makes a big difference.

Would recommend removing the spare wheel carrier and having the mover fitted to the rear wheels on a twin axle

40267[/snapback]

On a twin axle caravan there is more weight, hence more traction, on the front axle. So I would have thought that was the better option?

Is there a particular reason for your recommendation amorgan_g77 ?

Regards,

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.