Trouble With Lighting Gas On Fridge.

Thestens

Don't seem to be able to get Electrolux fridge light on gas. Get a spark but no flame. Have tried repeatedly without luck. I wonder if gas is getting through but have no idea how to test. Any ideas.

If the caravan has not been used for some time, there will be air in the pipes which takes some time to get rid off. I usually light on of the burners on the hob to do this and then try the fridge. Even then it can take some time to vent any air through the fridge and you just have to keep the gas button pushed in and keep trying the spark ignition until it fires.

Brian

I would fully agree with Brian. Put the kettle on, mash your tea and only then try to light the fridge. Sometimes it's quick and sometimes it's not quick, but you will get the little blue light eventually. That's if you can see it, but that's aother story.

Funnily enough, the gas heater works first time, every time ! Wonder why ?

TrevorM

It may be worth checking is mains switch turned to on position,

Hidden somewhere in your van there will be 3 red gas valves, 1 for cooker,

1 for fire, & 1 for fridge. If fridge has,nt been used on gas chances are it

may be turned off :) worth a look

Eric

Use the inside from a kitchen roll to look though at the window. This makes it a lot easier to see the flame.

Because it is so difficult to see the flame, it can be alight but because you cannot see it, you turn it off and start again.

There is also the problem that there can be be too much gas because you have been trying too hard. Then you have to leave it for a few minutes.

Best solution is to buy a new van equiped with automatic ignition!!! Drastic, but it works!!!!

All the best.

Roger

Biggest bonus when we bought the Compass was to find that the fridge is self lighting . . biggest advance in caravanning since I started . .

cant understand why the fire has to have its own AA battery instead of using the vans electrics :rolleyes:

Not had chance to do anything yet - aged relative problems now if you can do anything about them I would be grateful.

• 4 weeks later...

1. Lie on the floor, get comfy.

2. Do all the right things

3. draw all the curtains because the sun is just where you don't want it

4. repeat 1 and 2

5, swear a lot.

6. repeat 1 and 2

7 fall asleep on the floor

ain't caravanning wonderful !

The electrolux fridge running on gas is my favourite pet hate. I bought a caravan with every mod-con conceivable. Where I failed was you still have to press THAT button for the fridge to light. Personally I think this is Electrolux's finest invention,NOT.

I would love to meet the inventer of THAT button on a dark caravan field when I have just spent half an hour on my knees trying to light the fridge.

Blink, twitch - must go for a lie down

Pete

Volvo

The electrolux fridge running on gas is my favourite pet hate.   I bought a caravan with every mod-con conceivable. Where I failed was you still have to press THAT button for the fridge to light. Personally I think this is Electrolux's finest invention,NOT.  

I would love to meet the inventer of THAT button on a dark caravan field when I have just spent half an hour on my knees trying to light the fridge.

Blink, twitch - must go for a lie down

Pete

43291[/snapback]

Oh how I agree with these comments. I use my van all year and on a pitch with power but two or three times a year I switch to gas for 24 hours to clean the burners out. The water heater fires up first time - the fridge. ..............forget it. It takes an age, I know it has lit as I can hear it but as soon as you release the button out it goes.

Phil

Oh how I agree with these comments.   I use my van all year and on a pitch with power but two or three times a year I switch to gas for 24 hours to clean the burners out.   The water heater fires up first time - the fridge. ..............forget it.   It takes an age, I know it has lit as I can hear it but as soon as you release the button out it goes.

Phil

43300[/snapback]

Just come back from our 1st trip without electric so everything was tried for the 1st time on gas.

the fridge was a right pain to light i came away wondering if there is a fault on it. now i know this is normal.

i better get use to it then siting on the floor and pressing the bl. .........dy button :rolleyes:

A lot of manual ignition gas appliances are fitted with a safety device that shuts off the gas if it not lit. The basic sort is a sensor which has to get hot before it starts to work. The ignition button overrides the safety device allowing gas through even though it is not hot. In the same way that you have to hold in the button to get the air out of the line before you can light the pilot, you need to keep it pressed in for a few seconds after the pilot has lit to give the sensor time to warm up.