Sign in to follow this  
Thingy

Your Worst Trip Away?

Without mentioning the site by name or location to comply with CT rules, and considering one mans meat is another mans poison, what was your worst trip and why.

Ours started before our caravan days, and we had a Transcamper folding camper. We booked a lovely site for our first trip and arrived to find absolute heaven The people were lovely, site was lovely, pitch, facilities, weather, everything perfect and the site was about half full. And so it remained, for four days. We did, however have real trouble with the Transcamper, we were green back then. Took us hours to put it up, including trapping and breaking a finger in the sliding frame.

Then came Bank Holiday Weekend. From 0800 on the Saturday morning until approx 0200 Sunday morning was a steady procession of people arriving, mainly in transit vans and such, not travellers, just folk with vans. The noise was unbelievable. Generators running floodlamps so they could erect their awning a two in the morning, this right next to us.

On the other side we awoke to find a caravan that must have been bought from a salvage yard, considered too scruffy for a demolition derby. The family in it were gorgeous. They stunk to high heaven, husband 30 years older than the wife (not a problem per se), she looked like a heroin adict in the final stages (she wasnt) and two boys weighing in at around 22 stones apiece, and both with mental problems. Now Im a live and let live guy, and can utterly sympathise with how people want to live. But, if you have kids, regardless of age and size, or any mental problems, they are still your responsibility. From day one, these two parents just let these lads wander about, again no problem, apart from the fact that they grabbed hold of every young girl that passed, and I had two daughters. For them it was frightening to say the least. There were constant screams all day long.

Politely approaching the parents, I asked them to see our side of it, and was told that it was their boys holiday and they could do as they pleased. Couldnt see the point that it was scaring the young kids, and our teenagers in what was technically assault. I spoke to the warden, no free pitches (Bank Hol) so we decided to see how it went. It got worse. Sat eating our tea one night, the whole van started rocking. I went flying out to see these two jumping up and down on our A frame, parents sat watching them. A severe rollicking was handed out and I ran the pair of them off. Father never said a word to them. I gave him both barrels. The following morning, we awoke at 0600 to find their car door wide open, radio on full bore ripping out "I have a friend in Jesus". My wife seeing the utter rage on my face, and being the most mild person you could meet, went to ask them to turn it down, politely. I heard the mother say "its OK, we are going out in an hour or two, it wont disturb you then". Thats the first time I saw my wife really lose control.

I decided to involve the warden, and arrived at his caravan to find a queue of people, including 4 hells angels complaining about the noise. The warden refused to do anything, saying that the family were no trouble and he was used to them. Had these boys, probably in their twenties, not had the problems they had, doing something about it would have been easy, but what on earth can you do. As the days progressed, it got progressively worse. People all over the site were complaining, until one day, there was such an unholy row, and a caravanner, probably at the end of his tether had this guy by the throat. I intervened, only to stop the guy getting into trouble, not to save the family, and then the truth came out. This idiot had bought these two boys an air rifle, and had let them loose with it. The poor bloke had come home to find them taking pot shots at his van from the dog walking field, and had left all one side of his van peppered with holes. Thats the first and only time I ever saw a caravanner run off a site by other campers. We however, packed up and were on our way home. Enough was enough.

On the way home, my wife rang another site, considering the Bank Holiday to try to save the holiday, and persuaded me to try it. Continual rain, soaked ground and billions of midgies, it was worse then the original site. Not the sites fault, but a rotten end to a rotten holiday. At another time of year, out of midgie season, it would have been awesome.

On arrival home, and after only one trip, the two week old Transcamper was sold. And I still cant bend my finger properly.

Blimey what a holiday that was i would have ended up strangling someone.

peter.

Blimey what a holiday that was i would have ended up strangling someone.

Trust me, I was close.

Is that a rule then, not naming the site.

Sounds like they should be named and shamed.

I hate camping with scrotes. They would not have lasted the weekend next to me. You are obviously a patient man.

Good grief!Horrendous!

Our 1st solo trip out. we arrived on site and found a pitch, then suddenly a large 4 x 4 came hurtling towards us with with no one in it !! it finally stopped and out stepped a little old lady, about 4' 9" (god knows how she saw over the steering wheel) and with a walki talki proceeded to check us out with 'base'.

In rather military fashion she told us we could not pitch there. We had to move up 3 pitches, despite the fact that it was a 2 acre field and we were one of only 3 caravans there.

She then read us the rules !

Then, she was very insistent that we lined up the centre of our number plate with the pitch number peg exactly, I had never reversed a caravan in my life before. She then stood and watched me make the 7 attempts to reverse the caravan to the exact spot, constantly looking at her watch.

Then with a final "ok" she stepped back into the large 4 x 4 and off she went leaving us open mouthed watching the seemingly driver-less motor vehicle disappear over the hill.

With un-cut grass, few facility's, £23. 50 a night and our confidence shot, we never went back there again,

Edited by Richiebuoy

why can't we name the places of our experiences. ...seems a bit odd as it would only be breaking any laws if it were untrue!

why can't we name the places of our experiences. ...seems a bit odd as it would only be breaking any laws if it were untrue!

I am only presuming we shouldnt do it in the same way that the admins dont like us naming and shaming dealers or manufacturers.

I am only presuming we shouldnt do it in the same way that the admins dont like us naming and shaming dealers or manufacturers.

If we cant name and shame, we'll never be able to force inprovments

Not the fault of the site, and not that it totally ruined our holiday. ..

Last year at a site in North Devon. We arrived, found a nice pitch and started setting up. I got the folding table and chairs out and laid them (still folded) by the side of the caravan. Nipped inside to get the pegs to put up the awning. As I stepped out of the caravan onto the step it sank into the very soft ground (it had rained horrendously the few days before). I was thrown off the step and landed on my side on the stacked chairs and table.

2 broken ribs later. ....

Wow that really does sound like an horrendous experience. ........ I think if I had found kids shooting holes in my van I would have completely lost it, especially if the parents didn't seem to care.

I'm grateful to have never experienced anything quite as bad in 20+ years of vanning although some incidents have come close.

Usually though after speaking to the warden/owner this issue is resolved.

I think in recent years our worst experience has been a holiday to St Ives, Cornwall. It was a rather expensive park which we had been to before and enjoyed our previous stay. When we visited for the second time I pre booked a pitch that I knew was nice (unfortunately you can have the nicest pitch on site and get stuck with bad neighbours). We arrived at the site and pitched up etc. After a long & stressful journey we then headed to the outdoor pool to relax. There were no vans on either pitches alongside us although there was a motorhome reserved sign on one and oddly a large old TV on the pitch (this should have set alarm bells ringing).

After being at the pool for an hour or so SWMBO headed back to the van. Within 10 minutes she came back to the pool and said we were either leaving or moving pitches. When I got back to the van it turns out that our "neighbour" was an F reg Transit van with the 2 most delightful of owners (not!), 6 German Sheppards & 2 Rottweilers. Now i'm a dog lover but none of these dogs were on leads and looked as if they were about to eat our Westie. To make matters worse they were sat outside with this large old tv on the grass watching Jeremy Kyle and the sound up full while these dogs wandered around our van doing their business. The Transit was also parked over the perimeter of their pitch making it dangerously close to our van.

I went to the site office and their response was that they had no "grounds" to move the owners or to take any action but we could move if we liked. So we did.

After packing the awning away (all the time being circled and growled at by these 8 dogs) we then moved to another pitch.

After setting up on the new pitch and finally getting the awning in place etc a car full of teenagers pulled in and pitched on the pitch opposite (I say pitch but they threw a bag which looked to contain a tent on the floor), got about 8 crates of booze out of the car, opened all the car doors and turned the radio to full blast and proceeded to drink the booze for the next 4 hours.

I didn't have the energy to do anything about it but the guy next door went to complain and had the same "can't do anything" attitude from the owners.

Ian

Ours was in 2007.

We arrived at a site run by 'the friendly club', to be asked by a bad tempered female member of staff "Why are you here?" in a nippy voice when I stepped into the office! She then showed us to a mucky hard standing and was not pleased when I pointed out that having booked and paid for a hard standing I wasn't prepared to use the pitch she wanted us to use. She huffed and puffed a bit, saying the site was full that night etc. however at this point there were still a fair few decent hard standings free so she grudgingly moved us. 'Herself' then visited the loo block to find it filthy, not just dirty but filthy. Complained to Mrs Grumpy, to be told they were cleaned earlier and there was nothing wrong with them. I have to say the gents block was the same.

We had no more run ins with her but saw her bark at a few more folks, her husband was even worse!

We complained to the Club several times before getting an answer, not a satisfactory one I have to say.

Jeees there are some proper horror stories here. What is it with some people ?

If you can't name them, can you insert the link that takes you to the review site you did name them on?

I don't think i/we have had a bad stay on a site as such, although have had some dodgy trips for one reason and another.

Lake Garda Jan 2006 - I was ill for the first few days, including an emergency stop on the hard shoulder. I cleared up and my friend got it.

Lake Garda 2007 - major troubles with the van. I was away for months but my mate was with me for a week and flew home to get back to work. Arriving at the airport in the UK his lung collapsed!

Lake Garda 2009 - too hot! Dometic aircon conked out. Dometic contacted by email but said it was not under warranty (it flipping well was). There was a Dometic dealer across the road. Some days later, on our way home, Dometic emailed and said yes it is under warranty. There is a dealer near you. No longer the case I replied! We went out for the day and missed the last bus back, so walked 9 miles in blazing sun, no paths and were saved by a kind hearted petrol pump person who got us some tap water!

Amsterdam via North Sea Ferry - too rough for ship to dock, stuck in the North Sea for hours. (Heaven)

I will add I was with the same mate on all the above - we are jinxed!

Russell

Decided one Saturday morning many years ago to get the Van and stay over at Loch Lomond just for one night but forgetting it was the start of the " Glasgow Fair ". ( Glasgow 2 Week Holiday ) Needless to say all Sites were jam packed from Luss all the way to Inveraray, Argyle. Ended up staying in a slightly on first impression run down small caravan site surrounded by a dozen or so statics at the edge of Arrochar behind the old petrol station.

On arrival a wee wiman took ma fiver for the night including hook up and set up on my very long grassy but level pitch. Checked out the shower block that had not been cleaned in months and had no hot water so told Mrs Smeesh to give it a miss. More Wild Life inside the toilets than outside. Decided to go out to the Arrocher Hotel for our dinner. No chance ! Everywhere was fully booked so jumped in my then Citreon XM and went to Helensburgh for a Chinese Carry Out. Returned to the Van had oor dinner and went to bed. Disaster. :angry:

At about 0430 AM was wakened by The Theme Music to Miami Vice " Crockett's Theme " a very popular TV show round about this time. Looked out the window and my neighbours in there static had the 3 piece suite out on the grass including the music centre and speakers sitting drinking the Buckfast a rather popular tonic wine. After about the fifth time on hearing Crockett's Theme decided to stick my head out the door when two rather large Jaykies or Ned's asked" if I had a problem " ?. :blink: I said no and shut ma door. We left very early that day and was that enraged wrote to the Scottish Tourist Board explaining the Bad Advert for Tourism that was on the Gateway to the Highlands. I received a prompt reply only to be informed it was no longer a caravan site and hadn't been for a number of years and the Statics were holding Families from Hell until they got rehoused. I believe the Site is no longer there. A wonder who the woman was that took ma fiver ? :mellow:

Grumpy auld Smeesh. ............. :angry:

Grumps

I think it's still there - we stayed at the Forrest holidays site just out of arrochar on the left. As we passed the petrol station there were signs for a site of the right ? We were tempted to give it a go next time we were up there.

I arrived at a site in Dorset and was greeted by the site owner. When i say greet, what i actually mean was have a loo brush waved around in front of me while he ranted on about kids wrecking his toilets and did i have any with me!

Putting that aside, i was shown to my pitch (well, patch of mud on a 30 degree slope) got everything set up and settled down for the night. That evening, it started to rain - hard. ..Soon i learnt why the pitch was mud, in the rain it became a river and before i knew it there was 3 inches (yep, really) of water running through my awning. So began the panic to get everything (and everyone) out of the awning, pretty much everything in there was ruined though.

During all this, what i hadn't noticed was the full scale riot about to start thanks to another camper playing country and western at full volume (it was 1am by this point). Before the lynch mob could descend, a brave woman went over to the hillbillys and asked them to turn it off. Fortunately for them, they did!

Oh, and the family behind me thought it okay to let their dog dump behind my Caravan, despite the fact it was pretty damn obvious my wife was undergoing Chemo (when told they couldn't see what my problem was). Since they were clearly retarded and relations had broken down following my using a few 'choice' words about the Husband, they left and we moved to another pitch that wasn't a river bed.

Edited by littlebasher

Trust me, I was close.

My God how you coped i'll never know. Not the answer but i'd have probably done something I shouldn't. Not violence, just something sneaky maybe :ph34r: You sure it wasn't a travellers site :D

Compared to this i've not had any bad holidays except tenting it two bank holiday weekends that were a complete washout with rain.

Our worst one involved the clutch going in mid Wales where there was no phone signal to call for recovery so hubby had to walk to an area where there was one, whilst I was having my worst migraine ever ( not made any better by the high pitched audio warning that was blaring because the hazards were on). Lovely recovery man turned up and towed us the final 7 miles to the site and helped hubby pitch the van and then they took our Trooper back to East Anglia to drop it back to our local garage and pick up mother in laws' so that we could continue with the holiday. Hubby got back to us in the wee hours, having covered over 800 miles that day to end up 250 miles from home. When we went to move site a couple of days later we went to unlock the kids' bikes which were attached to the van with a supersized chain but realised that the key for the padlock was on hubby's keyring. .. left at the garage with the broken down vehicle. Lovely farmer with bolt cutters got us out of that one!!! So then we headed for Pembrey, which we hadn't bothered to book because it was out of season and we'd been before (and was in the days when you could do that )but when we arrived there was no site. ........just a load of JCBs and the like - the site was being totally redeveloped!!!!Two very disappointed kids :(. Not the end of the world by any means and we do have rather fond memories of it in some bizarre way!!

Coming back south from the highlands towing our trailer tent we decided to stop at the foot of Glencoe for a night, the site that faces the loch ? paying for the nights pitch we had a drive round to find a spot that was not under water after horrendous rain all day, the site was almost empty so no problem with overcrowding, we found a spot on a small piece of raised ground that was not under water and proceeded to erect the tent, this job took about an hour then when I was much younger and fitter, just as I had put in the last peg the site owner turned up and started to lay down the law because I had pitched on the dividing line between two pitches, the only place on an almost empty site that was not flooded, I did remark that if he wanted it moved there was only one person who was going to do it, he soon disappeared,

On a site in Barmouth, we had been there a few days and the site filled up for the weekend, the weather was wet and windy so off to bed we went, I woke up in the early morning thinking something is wrong here, I was lying with my feet up in the air and my head almost on the ground, woke up my other half who was still asleep and we both managed to crawl out of bed, got dressed and went outside to see what was going on, the site was in ruins, tents blown down everywhere, peoples belongings all around, there was one family still asleep in their tent with every peg around the bottom of the tent blown out of the ground, came to the conclusion that the gale force wind had got underneath the board that we were sleeping on and lifted us both up(about 20 stone) and when it dropped us it bent the legs holding up the bed, it was an expensive night with the repairs to the tent but it,s all part of it and would,nt have missed it for the world

I must admit, horrific stories like the OPs almost put me off trying caravanning. It's a big part of why I only use club sites; at least that way you have accountability and, in theory, a "minimum" standard.

The "worst" caravan trip I've had so far was to a site in London, but only because the weather was rubbish (foggy, cold). And the other "bad" experience was our first trip out, lovely site, but only bad because it was so close to home (less than half an hour's drive).

We stayed on a site local to us for the week so that I could travel back and forth to work.

What a nightmare, youngsters having sex on picnic benches at night :ph34r:, families arguing at 3 in the morning - husband yelling at his wife "don't kick my car" then started kicking it himself.

Final straw came when a family of about 40 pitched their caravan and awning alongside us, erecting windbreaks tight alongside our van where I couldn't even access my own water and waste, then proceeded to unload around 60 to 80 crates of beer and lager ready for a football match that was due to start at 3. 30 that afternoon. Needless to say we decided to cut our stay short and head for the safety of our home (we were due to leave on Sunday in any case), we haven't been to stay on that site since, from what I can gather some of the residents that do stay there are mostly working the roads. (and nothing wrong with that, at least they're working) :)

Here is my worst experience on a commercial site near Morecombe last summer. I posted this before, last summer but I thought it was worth adding to this thread. ..

The site is not huge but has a mix of statics, seasonal tourers and touring pitches. The pitch next to us on one side was a seasonal and on the other side vacant until a camper van turned up as we were eating our tea. On the face of it it was quite a tidy van. ..an 08 plate Fiat coachbuilt motorhome sporting Caravan Club Stickers and various other stickers indicating previous jaunts around the UK.

The MH reversed onto the pitch at an angle meaning it sat almost diagonally across the pitch. OK, I thought he's just getting it placed correctly but I was wrong he had hopped out of the cab not to check where he was in relation to the EHU bollard but to plug in his EHU cable - he was pitched!

Mrs Sprite was murmuring that it did not seem right as his front end was surely now less than 6m from our caravan but I just dismissed this as either a novice or a less than confident driver. Then the music started - very loud bass boom type music - the windows of the van now open causing my caravan to vibrate with the beat. A music lover, I may be but this was not to my taste. Then the female of the couple emerged from the van, imagine Becky Mcdonald from Coronation Street but rougher and that might start to describe her. Can of cheap lager in one hand and tab end sticking to her lip as she conversed loudly on her mobile phone to goodness knows who. I did not want to eavesdrop but owing to her volume had no choice. ..F*** this C*** that, well you get the picture.

Mrs Sprite instructed me to stay put with the kids while she went to find the owner of the site. On her way various others of the seasonals joined her as they too were sick of the noise and swearing. Unfortunately the owner was out at that time and so I took it upon myself to ask Mrs Mcdonald if she could turn the music down and maybe stop swearing so loudly. Her response was that she was F****** entitled to have her music on until 11pm so I could go f*** myself. Inviting as that sounded I declined but by this time all the other neighbours had come over to lend their support and within 10 minutes, the couple in the van had unhooked themselves and left telling us they did not want to be there anyway!

So what looked as if it was going to be possibly the worst night I have experienced while caravaning turned into one of the best as we made friends with all our neighbours and had a good chat about something which we were assured just doesn't usually happen.

We used to go to this farm which was located above Rowsley close to Chatsworth, it was a fantastic location, it had been a C&CC CS site but they had given it up, so we ended up being the only people going there with approx a 5 acre field entirely to ourselves on each and every visit.

All the fields had however quite a slope and one night we had taken down the awning in readiness for an early departure the following morning and that night it rained slightly.

Well the dogs wanted their late night number 1's and so I opened the door of the van and put my foot out onto the slightly sloping and very unsteady step and that was that until I came to my senses again the following morning!!!!!!!!!!!!

My foot had apparently slipped straight off the slippery step and I had tumbled backwards and smashed my head on the hard aluminium extrusion door recess moulding which resulted not only in quite severe concussion but also in a gash about 4" long across the back of my head. ........ Ouch!

Sign in to follow this