Do Your Blinds Effect Yout Tv?

Al K Seltzer

We have arrived at sites towards evening and we normally set up and go out for something to eat. When we get back it is sometimes dark so we close the blinds and then attempt to tune the TV but often with little success. We have an omnidirectional Status aerial. The picture is often very "snowy". I have therefore put this down to us being in a poor reception area but now I am not so sure that that was the true position.

This past week we were at a site in Stafford and having tuned the TV in during the day got excellent reception. However as darkness fell I closed down the blinds and the TV picture immediately deteriorated. On opening the blinds again the snow effect disappeared and it reverted back to its original clear picture. I assume therefore that the blinds are coated with some form of metallic substance but can anyone explain why this should happen. The aerial is outside so why should closing the blinds effect the TV.

:(

We don't find it effects the tv at all. We do have to retune the tv with each site we go to though. If the kids want to want a video or tv in the day we usually pull down a couple of the blinds to get rid of unwanted reflections. Great picture.

Emma

We experience the same problem - a MagicCircle works fine thru our mossie mesh but once we drop the silver-backed blinds we lose the signal totally.

It's not you ;)

ATB

Moose

If you are using a Status it shouldnt affect reception as the status is outside getting the signal and the TV is inside. the signal is routed via the cable so blinds should make no difference.

Sound like your status aerial is incorrectly, or not connected and the picture that you are recieving is actually being picked up by the coaxial cable inside the van, therefore when you close the blinds you are blocking out the signal.

If you are at all handy it is not too difficult a job to check all the connections, just make sure that the centre wire connects to the plug pin and that the outer braid only connects to the plug body and does not make any contact with the centre pin, also it is worth checking that there is power to the booster amplifier if not this has the effect of disconnecting the aerial with similar results.

Good luck!

It is possible that you have some RF leakage probably from the coax cable. Usually not a problem but when you drop your blinds the leakage/signal is being reflected back to the reciever causing interference.

If you ban lay your hands on some quality coax cable and plugs for your lead from aerial to tv this might cure it.

There are other things that can be done but to be honest with the time and work involved it probably is not worth it.

Regards

Pete

Al K,

Have you tried disconnecting the aerial from the booster also turning the booster off. Dependining on the results this should tell you if your signal is actually coming from the Status on the roof or just the cable up to the booster.

It's not uncommon for Status aerials to be fitted with faulty or non-existant connections.

It sounds to me like the Status is doing nothing, you're just picking up a signal from the flylead which gets blocked when the blinds are down.

Re-check ALL the Co-axial connections.

I dont use my Status at all - I had a separate ariel socket fitted to the front of my van (next to the existing 13amp plug socket) and an outside ariel socket (dual type that takes both an ariel and a sat dish). Often I dont take the sat dish and just use the ariel and it works just fine. I found unless you have the directional new type status its not worth using as it just doesnt give you the picture quality.

Margaret

Margaret

I don't do technical !!!

Just me and my showdogs!!

Archived