Ouch !!!

jetA1

A few days ago I stopped at the southbound services at Corley on the M6. This forecourt is not of the best design, there are two relatively narrow exits, one each side of the forecourt shop. I did not require fuel and had stopped just to use the shop. As I walked towards the shop I saw an 'outfit' manoeuvring off the forecourt. It was obvious that the chosen path of the outfit was going to cause the caravan wheel to strike a kerb. I was powerless to intervene, and just a few seconds later there was a terrible bang as the 'van leapt a couple of feet into the air; the forward mounted mover struck the kerb followed by the offside wheel. It was a horrible moment, I could see what was going to happen but could not stop it!

I have a forward mounted mover on my 'van, I know this incident highlights a weak spot in this design/layout, wanted to highlight this to help others avoid this situation. I often investigate accidents/incidents as part of my job; one of the main functions of investigation (after establishing the route cause) is to prevent re-occurrence. So watch out for those high kerbs, make sure you can see plenty of clearance on the 'van wheels and don't allow yourself to be hurried along because of other folks around you. In a restricted area, like this fuelling forecourt, take your time and look for the straightest route. You may wait a couple of minutes longer to get the preferred position next to a pump, but you'll make life a lot easier in the long run!

Don't want to appear to be teaching anyone to "suck eggs", but I saw this happen and would hate for it to happen to anyone else.

I don't think they can be fitted behind the wheels on an Avondale due to the spare wheel well that is built into the van.

I must admit I've only ever seen them fitted to the front.

I don't think they can be fitted behind the wheels on an Avondale due to the spare wheel well that is built into the van.

40911[/snapback]

I think it depends on the model, but you're right, most are fitted on the front.

Surely if the drive unit is so vunerable there, it's not beyond the wit of man to clamp a protective skid/roller/plate or similar to the chassis? Food for thought, but check with AL-KO before fitting anything non-standard to their chassis.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Can see your idea Gordon but I think there may be an issue with loading. If the skid plate, roller or whatever mounts the kerb then with a 1500 kg van you would potentially have upwards of 700 kg as a point load on this area - don't think Alko would be too happy about that. Good idea though.

Movers seem to be fitted forward of the axle as standard, does anyone know why this so?

If anyone has a high noseweight problem then this will not help the situation.

Richard

Can see your idea Gordon but I think there may be an issue with loading. If the skid plate, roller or whatever mounts the kerb then with a 1500 kg van you would potentially have upwards of 700 kg as a point load on this area - don't think Alko would be too happy about that. Good idea though.

41045[/snapback]

I suspect you're probably correct about Al-Ko, but that "point load" would be little different from the one imposed by the axle. It would however arrive suddenly without the softening of a suspension system so I guess it's not such a good idea after all.

Gordon.

Movers seem to be fitted forward of the axle as standard, does anyone know why this so?

If anyone has a high noseweight problem then this will not help the situation.

Richard

41113[/snapback]

My guess is that the increasing in noseweight as a result of adding a mover forward of the axle line would be minimal, but you're right, that does seem to be the preferred location. It may be because the caravan axle is pivoted forward of the road wheel centre, so as the suspension compresses the road wheel not only rises, but moves slightly to the rear. This would increase the force slightly on the drive roller of the mover increasing stress on the mountings. Conversely if the unit is mounted forward of the axle, compression of the suspension reduces the stress (but also the traction) on the roller. Does that make sense?

Gordon

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

40911[/snapback]

ive fitted them here too, a bit of upward pressure is however evident on the housing, but the spare can be removed and refitted with a bit of force

Archived