Semi Retire / Caravan Life

prawl

Hi,

I hope I have got the correct Forum for this one, I have done a search and there is no posting relating to my query. Here goes. I am hoping to semi retire with my wife within the next 6/12 months and perhaps continue working part/full time. We would dearly love to retire and live in our twin axle caravan for 10/11 months of the year. Can anyone assist in what are the pros and cons of such a change in lifestyle and if there are any caravan sites able to accomadate such a life changing move. :)

Prawl

Am I right in thinking that you will not be touring in your van? If you want to stay put I am sure you will find a campsite. It will depend on the sort of licence the campsite has. Sometimes the licence restricts the length of any one stay where as others will let you stay in the van as long as the site is open. You can't stay on Club sites for more than 21 days usually although some have seasonal pitches that vary in the length although you usually have to remove the van once in a while. As far as the practicalities we have spent 14 weeks abroad before now and on another occasion 10 weeks but this was touring so slightly different. It seems you want to use your van as a home from home. Caravan Club wardens stay on site for 6 months plus so I can't really see a problem.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Prawl

Am I right in thinking that you will not be touring in your van? If you want to stay put I am sure you will find a campsite. It will depend on the sort of licence the campsite has. Sometimes the licence restricts the length of any one stay where as others will let you stay in the van as long as the site is open. You can't stay on Club sites for more than 21 days usually although some have seasonal pitches that vary in the length although you usually have to remove the van once in a while. As far as the practicalities we have spent 14 weeks abroad before now and on another occasion 10 weeks but this was touring so slightly different. It seems you want to use your van as a home from home.   Caravan Club wardens stay on site for 6 months plus so I can't really see a problem.

David

40126[/snapback]

Many thanks for your reply. At the moment we are looking for a site to base our van for 10/11 months of the year as a home from home to retire in. Are you aware of any sites that may be able to assist?

Prawl

Sorry I don't know any sites as I tend to do the bulk of my caravanning in Europe only spending the odd few days on mainly club sites. I would suggest that you decide what area you want to stay in and then check out the local campsites. There are quite a few internet site listing which might help. Google or Yahoo search should help.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Hi Prawl

David is probably refering to Caravan Club sites and it also may apply to Camping & Caravan Club sites.

Have a look at this website.

http://www. caravan-sitefinder. co. uk/

Many Private/Commercial sites offer a six month Summer seasonal pitch - for a Winter seasonal pitch you will need to find a site open all year.

Good luck

Mike [properly retired] B)

hello

we are in the same situation as yourselves & have opted for the south-west. we found approx 20+ sites in this area that offered seasonal rents-prices £550-£1,700 so you can see the range is wide. most were open march-october but there was 2-3 that were 10-11 months. so yes your semi-retirement is possible but the amount of sites that you will have to choose from is very limited-other areas of course may vary. we visited most of the 20+ sites & settled for what appears to be a great site-although only open easter-end october-£900 + £100 winter storage if wanted. hope all goes well for you-sally

hello

we are in the same situation as yourselves & have opted for the south-west. we found approx 20+ sites in this area that offered seasonal rents-prices £550-£1,700 so you can see the range is wide. most were open march-october but there was 2-3 that were 10-11 months. so yes your semi-retirement is possible but the amount of sites that you will have to choose from is very limited-other areas of course may vary. we visited most of the 20+ sites & settled for what appears to be a great site-although only open easter-end october-£900 + £100 winter storage if wanted. hope all goes well for you-sally

40388[/snapback]

Thanks for the advise, any chance of naming the site/s that may be able to assist. With the very best Regards Prawl

Archived