Sign in to follow this  
azzy

Alde Heating

I posted a feature on the same problem with my Clubman Si on this forum on Feb 19th 2011 and again a couple of weeks ago, check in the Lunar section. The vent pipe from the header tank had been incorrectly installed. As you can see from the attached pic, the pipe was sealed by a sharp kink, causing the system to vent through the overflow pipe thus pushing out fluid instead of air. The simple remedy was to move the securing clip up by about 30mm to get rid of the kink. The heating now works a treat.

Also here are several bleed points in the system, one is accessed through the door at the bottom of the cooker. Another trick which will often clear an air lock is to drop the hitch as low as possible, (or park facing downhill) and then run the system to encourage any air stuck in the pipework to move to the header tank.

Incidentally, Aldi specifically warn about avoiding this problem in their installation manual. I sent Lunar an email with all the details but have yet to get any feedback.

Thanks just checked pipe one clip and a clear run this is where fluid came out from

Thanks again everyone for great advice.

My dealer got in touch today to tell me they had located a Alde engineer for me and he would be in touch. Sure enough he was in touch v quick and guess what it was the guy who Alde had recomended to me as one of their top engineers.

Great guy to talk to very much as expected in the know and confirmed his thoughts were air in the system same as mine and a lot of other people on the forum.

He cant make it up till 2nd March so unforttunatley will have had a month where I have not been able to use the van but hopefully will now get somewhere. He has got around a two hour journey to get up to where I am. The dealer where I bought van from is big in fact v big wouldnt you think they would get someone trained to deal with these problems?

There has got to be a fault somewhere!

As said above, ours heats up in about 15 minutes, is so quiet you wouldn't know it was on and can be kept on overnight automatically at a reduced temperature.

Only wish our heating at home was as good.

Suggest you keep on at dealers.

DaveS1

Hi,

Did you ever get this heating fixed?, I am having trouble with mine at the moment (not the first time). Sounds to me as if your pump is wired the wrong way round.

Hi,

Did you ever get this heating fixed?, I am having trouble with mine at the moment (not the first time). Sounds to me as if your pump is wired the wrong way round.

With the "in header tank" pump the direction of the wiring and direction of the pump rotation will make no difference.

With the "in-line" boiler located one it is however important.

I am Alde approved and have come up against similar probs. I would be checking the non-return valve at the boiler and the actual pipework installation, then do a pump through/refill with my proper kit.

With the "in header tank" pump the direction of the wiring and direction of the pump rotation will make no difference.

With the "in-line" boiler located one it is however important.

I disagree. The impeller has to push water away from itself, down into the pipe below it, using it to lift the water up will mean that you are relying on gravity to feed the other pipe with water, it will try to flow the wrong way. There is also a chance of the fluid coming out of the header tank cap if it is running the wrong way round. There is a one-way valve at the boiler end, if you pump the wrong way you will have no circulation, only a bit of conduction.

Dougie,

I have a problem with mine at the moment, only on gas. Have you ever come across a faulty pressure switch?

I disagree. The impeller has to push water away from itself, down into the pipe below it, using it to lift the water up will mean that you are relying on gravity to feed the other pipe with water, it will try to flow the wrong way. There is also a chance of the fluid coming out of the header tank cap if it is running the wrong way round. There is a one-way valve at the boiler end, if you pump the wrong way you will have no circulation, only a bit of conduction.

Dougie,

Dougie, I am afraid your understanding of the ALDE 3010 systems fluid circulation direction is wrong.

Please refer to the diagram at the bottom right of page 10 of the manual, downloadable here:

http://www. alde. co. u. ..10_instruct. pdf

You will note that the fluid rises in the centre tube into the void in which the impeller rotates, and returns in the outside tube.

The rotating impeller causes a slight depression, loss of fluid head, in its “eye” due to centrifugal force. Gravity forces the fluid down the outside tube, through the whole piping system and boiler to balance this depression.

Irrespective of the direction the impeller rotates, it is always the “eye” where a depression is generated, hence my correct statement re wiring and rotor direction.

More sophisticated centrifugal rotors, than employed here, with angled vanes lose pumping efficiency if spinning in the wrong direction however it is always the "eye" where the depression occurs. The fluid flow direction remains the same.

The rotor here does throw the fluid as a disc into the reservoir and if that reservoir is overfilled it does indeed spill out of the overflow vent.

Edited by JTQ