Sign in to follow this  
azzy

Alde Heating

Hi everyone, Just bought a new Luna delta TI and to say the least not impressed with the aldi heating. It has a 2kw element.

I have had it on both gas and electric outside the house for over a week (v cold outside) with temp turned up to 30c the best it reached is 22c

It is taking around 2 hours to gain around 4c

Took it back to the dealer and have now been told nothing is wrong with it?? because they left it on overnight and got it to 28c

It was not as cold outside when they tried it but surely this cannot be right. My confidence has already gone with these people so I am bringing it home and thinking what to do next

Can someone please tell me how quick should this system get to a decent room temp say 20c I would honestly expect to achieve this quite quickly and has anyone else experienced this with the alde system.

The radiator in the rear bathroom reaches temp quickly but the rest is to say the least cold. I have read elsewhere people take a fan heater to get the heat up quick. Is this needed with the Alde system?

Thanks

Alde heating systems take longer to get going there is nothing you can do really . ..

Perhaps you can explain this pronouncement, starting with how say a Truma S3000 series with 3. 4 kw heating,or even a Truma 5000 series with 5. 5kws heating capability can in anyway heat up a similar caravan quicker than an Alde 3010 with 9kws heating capacity?

Ours takes around 15 minutes to reach a comfortable operating temperature and about another 15 minutes to get the interior up to a desirable 'lounge' temperature.

Obviously it depends on how cold the outside temperature is and how long since the van was last used. Plus I am talking just electric - if I use gas only it is much quicker and gas plus electric even quicker but so far I have done that to satisfy myself that it makes a difference.

If I were you I would be looking for possible air locks (bleed radiators and radiator runs under beds etc.) and checking that there is sufficient glycol mix circulating (check and if required top up headers tank).

For us the Alde heating is the best we have had in a caravan and the fact it is silent and can be left on 24 hours a day is terrific - we do use the automatic night time reduced heat function which is brilliant - if you are not impressed it probably means one of two things :-

The dealer has not done a proper PDI or Lunar have not designed the layout correctly - my money would be on the PDI.

Hi everyone, Just bought a new Luna delta TI and to say the least not impressed with the aldi heating. It has a 2kw element.

I have had it on both gas and electric outside the house for over a week (v cold outside) with temp turned up to 30c the best it reached is 22c

It is taking around 2 hours to gain around 4c

Took it back to the dealer and have now been told nothing is wrong with it?? because they left it on overnight and got it to 28c

It was not as cold outside when they tried it but surely this cannot be right. My confidence has already gone with these people so I am bringing it home and thinking what to do next

Can someone please tell me how quick should this system get to a decent room temp say 20c I would honestly expect to achieve this quite quickly and has anyone else experienced this with the alde system.

The radiator in the rear bathroom reaches temp quickly but the rest is to say the least cold. I have read elsewhere people take a fan heater to get the heat up quick. Is this needed with the Alde system?

Thanks

It's ddiffficult to say if we collected our caravan from storage and its been cold it takes a couple of hours on a Friday night to warm it up you have to remember you need to heat the fabric of the van we have eaten meals in coats but then our truma system keeps it warm so an Alde system should do the same as long as you take the time to warm everything up

When we first had our Alde heating and didn't know how to use it we went away in March when it was very cold. We went out for a couple of hours and on our return found the temperature at 28 degrees where we had left the heating on and turned up the thermostat in error. We had to open the door to let the heat out! We didn't make that mistake again.

Hi,We had a Lunar clubman E. S. with this heating ,-- it was slow -we bought a small portable gas heater, the fan on the boiler made quite a noise at night and ---Lunar had put a heater outlet in the cupboard under the bathroom sink! kept the lotions & potions warm -but not much else ! we have now gone back to the Truma heating just come back from rally -we had a thick coating of ice on the windows but we were lovely and warm. Managed to get the temp up to 82 deg !

david 1220

You must have a problem. Ours warms up to a reasonable temperature, in very cold weather, in about 30 mins. Another 30 mins and you can have it as hot as you like.

Bob

during the cold snap of a fortnight ago the highest temp achieved in the van was around 21 degrees but bare in mind it was minus 7 outside. ...we find if we draw the curtains and the blinds in the roof windows this helps greatly. ....is there enough water in the system. ...easily checked. ...go to pump normally located in the wardrobe. ..and check the water level. ..do not overfill. ...from storage with the inside temp about 3 degrees it takes a good few hours to reach 20 degrees or so

Only ever ran ours on on elec 2kw so far (Delta FB 2012). Not had any water in the tap system yet either! First outing is next week! Last weekend was out sorting the van went out at 10am and it was saying -8. after 2 hours it had got up to 10 and after another hour got up to 18 (where i had it set) So i would say it's a good system! Not sure why yours would be taking so long running on both! Maybe you have it set to heat the water first rather then the system?

Ant

Edited by AntV8

Only ever ran ours on on elec 2kw so far (Delta FB 2012). Not had any water in the tap system yet either! First outing is next week! Last weekend was out sorting the van went out at 10am and it was saying -8. after 2 hours it had got up to 10 and after another hour got up to 18 (where i had it set) So i would say it's a good system! Not sure why yours would be taking so long running on both! Maybe you have it set to heat the water first rather then the system?

Ant

Thanks everyone for your replies here. Tried it with water in the system and without (makes no difference) does heat water very well though. I will get it home tomorrow and have another go. Maybe towing it to dealers has removed some air from the system?? Stupid idea but you never know .

Ours takes around 15 minutes to reach a comfortable operating temperature and about another 15 minutes to get the interior up to a desirable 'lounge' temperature.

Obviously it depends on how cold the outside temperature is and how long since the van was last used. Plus I am talking just electric - if I use gas only it is much quicker and gas plus electric even quicker but so far I have done that to satisfy myself that it makes a difference.

If I were you I would be looking for possible air locks (bleed radiators and radiator runs under beds etc.) and checking that there is sufficient glycol mix circulating (check and if required top up headers tank).

For us the Alde heating is the best we have had in a caravan and the fact it is silent and can be left on 24 hours a day is terrific - we do use the automatic night time reduced heat function which is brilliant - if you are not impressed it probably means one of two things :-

The dealer has not done a proper PDI or Lunar have not designed the layout correctly - my money would be on the PDI.

Gas and electric over a hour to get from 9c to 14c obviously not right. Bought caravan at nec show and took it back to dealers to rectify problem. They are telling me it is right?? I will bring it home tomorrow and have another go. maybe I have dislodged some air towing it back to them. Must say though the dealer did not inspire me with much confidence when I took it back

during the cold snap of a fortnight ago the highest temp achieved in the van was around 21 degrees but bare in mind it was minus 7 outside. ...we find if we draw the curtains and the blinds in the roof windows this helps greatly. ....is there enough water in the system. ...easily checked. ...go to pump normally located in the wardrobe. ..and check the water level. ..do not overfill. ...from storage with the inside temp about 3 degrees it takes a good few hours to reach 20 degrees or so

Is this on electric only or gas and electric

You must have a problem. Ours warms up to a reasonable temperature, in very cold weather, in about 30 mins. Another 30 mins and you can have it as hot as you like.

Bob

Thanks Bob I do also think I have a problem although the dealer tells me otherwise?

Alde heating systems take longer to get going there is nothing you can do really . ..

What over a hour for a 4c gain on gas and electric Nothing I can do. This is a relatively new system surely it should work better than this?

Is this right surely you also have a problem ?

This article seems to indicate that the Alde system does take longer than other systems to heat up a cold caravan. This is the quotation from the final paragraph in the first section.

The only real drawback with wet heating systems is the time they take to heat the van from cold. The reason for this is that the most radiators are situated around the edges of the van (where it is coldest) and often out of sight under bunks. The result is that it takes time taken for the heat to get into the main part of the van. When it does though the whole van is evenly warm and it will stay so for quite some time after the heating is switched off. This means that putting the heating on for a couple of hours before setting out for a rally can significantly reduce the warm up time after arrival. If this is not possible then one way to get some heat into the van quickly is to put the oven on high for a while (door closed for safety) and put the kettle on for a nice hot cup of tea!

The confusion that is made, even in the Alde article, is between time to heat the van itself and time to get heat where you first need heat.

The Alde system cant as normally configured supply heat uniquely to a selected location, say the lounge, so there is not a quickly warmed place to locate to whilst the van as a whole gets heated.

This is a draw back but it is quite different to stating that 'the Alde system takes longer to heat the van up'.

Being much more powerful at 8 or 9 kws [Compact 3010] than most blown air Truma systems, [usually 3. 4, sometimes 5. 5 kws] it physically must heat the van as a whole up quicker than a lesser power system heats the van up.

Fact is if you put more heat [kws] into a structure it will get up to thermostat controlled temperature faster than a system of lesser power.

A justified criticism of the Alde system is that you can’t get heat where you more immediately need it.

Edited by JTQ

My understanding of the UK specification is that the Compact 3010 is 7. 5Kw whereas the European spec is 8. 5Kw.

Those figures stack up with my Germen built UK spec van’s Alde.

My units supporting bumf quotes the following outputs;

Butane; 3. 8 and 6. 4Kws [the burners two output levels]

Propane: 3. 3 and 5. 5 kws

230V; 1050 watt and 2100 watts. [selectable as 1,2 or 3Kws]

So in the unlikely [in our application] use of Butane as the LPG, the output can be as high as;

6. 4 + 1. 05 + 2. 1 = 9. 55 kws

The more realistic situation for us under ambients needing good space heating, would be to power on propane to ensure ‘gassing off’.

here :

5. 5 + 1. 05 + 2. 1 = 8. 65 Kws

Interestingly the data plate on the Alde quotes identical maximum values, however quoting them as ‘Heat input’. That could raise an interesting discussion on what is meant and how much latent heat recovery there is!

I have also read that UK built vans specify the 2Kw electrical heating option.

Edited by JTQ

The caravan in the OP is of UK manufacture.

We have a Delta TI that we bought last October. We had to bleed the system several times for heating to take place quite quickly. On our TI the bleed valve is on top of the radiator in the bathroom. Takes about 20 mins to heat up the caravan and about another 20 minutes for it to reach a constant temperature. If you seal anything like the dealer did, it will heat up even if only one radiator is working so not much of a test.

Bleed the system, check the water level in the tank in the bedroom and if necessary top up. Try bleeding it about once a day for a few days and then when you go out again do the same. Eventually it will settle and no more issues.

Edited by Surf01

We have a Delta TI that we bought last October. We had to bleed the system several times for heating to take place quite quickly. On our TI the bleed valve is on top of the radiator in the bathroom. Takes about 20 mins to heat up the caravan and about another 20 minutes for it to reach a constant temperature. If you seal anything like the dealer did, it will heat up even if only one radiator is working so not much of a test.

Bleed the system, check the water level in the tank in the bedroom and if necessary top up. Try bleeding it about once a day for a few days and then when you go out again do the same. Eventually it will settle and no more issues.

Picked caravan up this morning as dealer has had a look and says nothing is wrong with it?? Once home I tried it on gas and electric and it gained 1 deg in 90 mins Now I am really p------d off. Had a look in wardrobe the bottle was not showing anything and the coolant has come out through what looks like the top breather pipe all over new bedding. What is best to use in tank? I guess its antifreeze

Take photographic evidence then return the van to the dealer and tell them that the van and/or heating are not 'fit for purpose' and you want a full refund or the van and heating working properly which your one is obviously not doing.

Take photographic evidence then return the van to the dealer and tell them that the van and/or heating are not 'fit for purpose' and you want a full refund or the van and heating working properly which your one is obviously not doing.

To be honest from what I have seen and been told from engineers at this dealers I would not trust them to sharpen a pencil!!

I think I will take it up with Luna on Monday.

The law is quite clear you did not buy the van from lunar. so taking up the issue with Lunar could well confuse and delay the issue. If I we're you before you did anything else give consumer direct a call and see where you stand on this matter. Also check were you stand in terms of third party costs eg the fuel for ferrying the van back and forwards to the dealer and any damage to the beding.

I would ask the dealer to come to your house or storage, which ever is convenient for you, a good dealer will come to you, i have had two visits at home for repairs.

It sounds to me like a circulation problem, but obviously if the coolant is too low, then no circulation will take place.

I would also ask for the boiler mounted pump to be fitted, especially if you sleep near the header pump you have at the moment.

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/57868-lunar-delta-ti-2012-alde-heating-noise-survey/page__st__20

read post 27.

Edited by xtrailman

I think that the way the system is built in has a lot to do with the time it takes to heat up. I believe that there is not enough clearance between the wall and the cushions etc. We have twin bed configuationand and I find that if we want the van to heat up quickly, I move the matresses slightly out of position away from the wall to increase the airflow out of the bed boxes.

We find that a comfortable temperature for us is 20. 5c in the living area. This is easly and quickly attained on pos 2, only rarely do we need to use gas.

Edited by Grease Monkey

As the dealer has already had two attempts to resolve the issue with the heating the OP should be seriously considering returning the caravan to the dealer for a full refund.