Fixed Beds

Gatwickba

Has anyone got any experience of caravanning with small (5 & 7yrs) kids with a fixed bed layout?

I am looking at the Challenger 550, or maybe the 490 if the made up bed might be more practical with kids - we currently have a Charisma 560, but kids not keen on the bunk bed arrangement, and seeing the close proximity of the lockers to a made up upper bunk, I dont blame them.

Wife thinks a fixed end bed would be better, then we can put them in it while we have the other end to ourselves, but I am not keem on only having a 4'7" bed at the front, when I can have a 5'11" if I choose the wrap around seating on the 490. ....confused!!!!

Hi Gatwickba

We have just changed over from a "made up " bed Bailey Auvergne which I might add is an excellent layout to a fixed bed simply because of the nightly chaos with making up the bed while managing 2 children (ages 7, 10) on board at the same time. <_< We found the nightly ritual of setting up the cushions a bit of a pain as there were bits and pieces stacked all around the 'van during the process.

We have yet to try the fixed bed (arriving soon) but anticipate bliss! :)

regards

JL

Hi Gatwick,

As you may now we have a 550 (L shaped lounge).

We have two kids well nearly young men. ..lol 11 & nearly 15 yrs.

Depending on how the kids feel (the bosses) lol they sleep either on the fixed bed or at the front.

My wife and i are not very tall i'm 5'8'' and she 5'7'', we find either sleeping arrangements very comfortable.

sometimes the kids don't covert the front seats into a bed and just sleep on the seating with a sleeping bag and they find it very comfortable.

Having 2 tv points, one at the front and one at the back in the 550 is a big plus they have their tv/ps2 etc and we have ours.

with your kids being younger it may be better making the front bed.

Have you seen the new 2006 Challenger range, the 510 has two single beds at the back but the front bed looks a bit tight. How do you feel about the new brown/beige interior?, personally i don't like it, i prefer ours red/cream.

Hope you find what suits

cheers

Dave

Thanks JL.

I feel your pain with making the beds up, just got back from 10days in France. ....what an epic at bed times!!!

I quite fancy the fixed double, but not keen on the 4'7" bed. ...we have a 7' bed at home!!!

Still, I suppose if I get drunk, I wont know if I am squashing the misses so it doesnt really matter as long as I am comfy!!!!

Waiting for the fallout from that one!!! :blink:

Hi Dave,

Went to Barrons the other day to look at the fixed single bed layout, like the new 2006 interior (well she who must be obeyed does). Went into a 2005 550, like the idea of not having to make a bed up every night, but still not convinced about the size of the front bed.

Also, if both beds are made up where do you eat breakfast?

I need something sturdy, as I spend 90% of my time in it at EGKK

Cheers

We find the layout OK with our 2 teenagers, they sleep in the annexe/puptent when possible. If they can't, they have a bench each, if we get up and need the area, they 'hop'down to the fixed bed end to laze. If the weather is nice, we are straight outside anyway.

We aren't very early risers when away, 9ish, so it works for us. I have thought about giving up the fixed bed for them, but its ours!!!!!!

I see your point, breakfast etc and having to convert the bed back, a twin axle would be ideal really for a growing family but for us that would mean a larger vehicle 4x4 to pull the van and i would need to find a place to store it while not in use, options are quite limited, the best thing is do what we do and saves cleaning -eat out. ..lol ;)

dave

Sounds like a good plan to me. Was looking at the Charisma 590, which would just be towable with the old Mondeo, but after having my Charisma for 2 years, and living in it most of the time, I think I need some luxury!

Any comments on the difference in comfort between the fixed bed mattress and the jigsaw pieces from the made up beds?

Order placed for Challenger 550.   Will enjoy when it arrives!!!

40119[/snapback]

Excellent ;)

I've not physically seen the 2006 challenger, but understand it comes standard with :- radio/cd/mp3 player, dvd socket and wiring, microwave,Alarm and a Alko portable wheel lock.(you even get 2 x pillows for the bed) Saving alot of£££££.

I like the new front panel looks good and i must say the more i look at the pics of the interior, the new colour scheme looks better and better. Enjoy and keep us posted.

Dave

Hi Dave,

The spec is quite good. Barrons have the 510 on display at Coppull and we love the interior. Opted for the optional DVD player too, keep me quiet on these cold winter nights. And at least my current awning will still fit too!

I have grown very fond of my Charisma over the last 18months, after all I am in it every week! But its time to move on, just hope she goes to a good home. ......crikey, I better get cleaning!!!

Dean.

Archived