Gel Batteries

the hog

I have a German caravan which came with an 85a gel battery. After nearly five years of use it needs replacing and I am intending to replace it with a 110a lead acid battery.(cos they're much cheaper)

Is there any reason why I shouldn't replace a gel with a normal lead acid battery.

Do they charge in the same way. If not would using a lead acid one damage the built in charger.

Any thoughts from techie experts would be appreciated.

The Hog

I have a German caravan which came with an 85a gel battery. After nearly five years of use it needs replacing and I am intending to replace it with a 110a lead acid battery.(cos they're much cheaper)

Is there any reason why I shouldn't replace a gel with a normal lead acid battery.

Do they charge in the same way. If not would using a lead acid one damage the built in charger.

The Hog

40045[/snapback]

Hog,

Here's a link to my web site which covers just about everything you need to know about batteries and charging.

http://www. btinternet. com/~les. brocklehurst/batteries. html

HTH

Guest Hobbybod
. . . . Is there any reason why I shouldn't replace a gel with a normal lead acid battery.

The Hog

40045[/snapback]

Ok Hog, in addition, or supplementary, to the general info. given in the link by Les;

i) there's no reason why you shouldn't replace the gel battery with a lead-acid 'traction' type, provided you are aware of,

ii) they are not optimally charged in the same way; the two different types require different charging protocols which can be provided by some 'decent' battery chargers. You'll need to check your battery charger to see if it has any switch settings for lead-acid batteries. If it's the 'standard' charger (blue box) used in many continental/German 'vans then it may have such provision.

However if it hasn't, then charging lead-acid batteries with a charger set up for gel ones should still be OK. It may not be optimal, but it AFAIK it won't damage them, or the charger.

Note that this is not the case for the reverse situation of charging gel batteries from a charger set up to optimally charge lead-acid batteries!!!

P. S. There's a related topic on chargers here

Archived